Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; with the leaf colour almost gone for another year I think your thread needs a little fall orange train colour. I think I may be able to help.

day trip 29 003.jpg

day trip 29 004.jpg

day trip 29 005.jpg

day trip 29 006.jpg

These were taken a couple of days ago. We are in the middle of a nice streak of fall weather. From last Thursday through to next Tuesday there is no rain in the forecast and temps each day in the high 60's. I have been out the last 3 days and plan to do the same for the next 3. Hope you are still getting some decent weather as well.
  2. st2sam

st2sam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0666_crop.jpg
    What an educational thread this has become.
    :thumb

When I saw this sign, while on my bike ride, your thread came to mind.
    John, anyone ever see a "lokie" in the flesh?
    Do you think any survived the scrap yard?
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We always greatly appreciate moving trains, Dave, so THANK YOU!. The best I've done of late is catch a string of locomotives with no cars move up several hundred yards, switch back on another track and quit.
    The Virginian, KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happiness is having more interesting things to research (especially with winter coming on) and you've just given us some. I am looking up 0-6-0 saddleback switchers as we speak. Many thanks, st2sam! Will report back on this.

Edit Note: See Surviving Examples of 0-6-0 Locomotives In The USA. Now to track them down/back to PA coal mining and "vandling".
    The Virginian, KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    What? Here we were, the redhead and I, happily strolling down some back roads the other morning when the wall of trees along side the road opened up for this.

[​IMG]

What was a broken down old waterwheel doing out in the middle of nowhere? It wasn't connected to anything; nor was there any evidence that there had been a mill here. It was just an old-style water wheel sitting in a pond spillway. Also, why was the pond here?

[​IMG]

To make matters worse, I had been detoured several times around my planned route and don't remember exactly where it was. What a dumbass. Now I have to relocate it and any persons in the area who might know something about it. Inquiring minds want to know these things but are often too stupid to know them at the time of riding.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  6. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in Alabama we have some of the little steam engines.
    Calera  -.JPG Gadsden -.JPG Tarrent, AL - .JPG
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, chethro and 5 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks @R1100RTRider! Love those steam locomotives, especially the smaller units. Porter apparently built a lot of these, both regular boiler-generated steam and fireless steam in areas flames or smoke/soot couldn't be tolerated (e.g., mines, food factories, munitions plants, etc.). I am wondering if that first one isn't fireless.
    KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; by the lack of a smokestack and steam dome I believe both of the first two are compressed air or steam stored from an outside boiler fireless locomotives. Age of Steam Roundhouse has examples of both kinds.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Planks Don't Rattle But It's Good : Below is another favorite bridge that I often photograph and cross when out riding. I am usually heading in the other direction through, when traveling from east to west into the Berkshire hinterlands.

[​IMG]

Built in 1889, the bridge is passable with a sufficiency rating of 40%, which is fine for a motorcycle. Unlike my favorite old bridge (i.e., the Bardwell's Ferry bridge), the bridge doesn't speak to me since the planks don't rattle.

[​IMG]

Aside from being part of a woodsy, twisty, hilly back roads path west, the view from the bridge looks good like a river should.

[​IMG]

May all your bridges be good!
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I was back down the CT river road the other day, noticed that the old truck was still there in the weeds and took this pic.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  11. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I would break my finger tip if I liked them all! :D Very nice shots and camera.
    KMichael, popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  12. grimsweeper

grimsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No sign of tracks, research on web revealed a L&N line to Telico Plains, satellite view on Google maps shows evidence of "wye" alongside building.
    KMichael, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the very kind comment, @chethro! Same back at ya!
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding: The following shots were taken on a recent afternoon ride on roads in the area around, but not on, Mt. Wachusetts.

[​IMG]

As a rule, these roads probably see more critters than cars. As a result, I can just stop the bike, turn on the warning lights, pull the camera out of the bag and take the shot without getting off.

[​IMG]

Having a winter sun adds some drama to the shot but can make for good amounts of over/under exposure in the photo. Being an amateur photographer, I dislike messing with HDR bracketing (i.e., merging multiple shots) and use AI software to compensate.

[​IMG]

I did get off and walk across the road to take the following water pic.

[​IMG]

Finally, I once again passed by this beautifully-maintained old colonial farmstead and had to stop for a picture.

[​IMG]

I was reminded of the General Artemus Ward farmstead. Shown below, the Ward home was initially constructed in 1727 and enlarged in the latter half of that century. Note the similarities.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Adding Some Drama: I try to make my pictures honest in terms of what I am seeing. This involves minimal post processing with only minor adjustments to exposure, temperature, white balance and the like to convert from RAW. Sometimes, though, a picture is so bland that I want to add drama by composing and embellishing the picture beyond what it really looked like. When I compose a picture, I will let you know and this is one of those times. Below is an image where I replace the sky. Other than that, nothing was else was altered other than the overall exposure and temperature to make it look late afternoon dim. With the right cloud cover and lighting, the road would have looked exactly like below.

[​IMG]

I do these things to keep the old brain active.
    KMichael, chethro, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Stink Eye: The bird was giving me the stink eye out in the back yard yesterday afternoon.

[​IMG]

This is one of three who now hang out there a lot. There used to be only two regular (i.e., regular meaning stopping in morning, noon and afternoon) turkeys.
    KMichael and chethro like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not Your Average Abandoned Barn: The perception of abandoned barns is one of ramshackle structures that are in the process of falling down; not neat, well-kept buildings like the one I encountered several days ago.

[​IMG]

Bounded by two older tobacco barns, this place was in relatively great shape. Looking at the building's good roof, I wondered if it was being used for storage of some sort. With people across the road watching me rather intently, peeking into the windows did not seem like a good idea.

[​IMG]

Once again, the desire to check around was overridden by the desire to ride, so I didn't go over to talk to the folks watching.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; thought you might like to see Ontario Southland's latest repaint. This SW1200RS switcher is one of a pair they have. Don't know if the other one is in line for paint as well. This is not my photo. It was taken by Dave Hooton; who photos many trains in my area.

124963843_196179371975589_3985951218727808474_o.jpg
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Greatly appreciate the pic, Dave! One might get the idea that OSR does a better job dressing up their locomotives (and showing the brand) than does, say, Pan Am. Below is one of the latter's longer haul units that I happened to catch switching tracks in the yard.

[​IMG]

Perhaps not the best image for a carrier that looks to attract business or is up on the block for sale. In looking at the two units I was thinking older and dapper/tidy vs. newer and bedraggled/messy.
  20. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I need to see so train movement, I go to my office. vintage 1951.
    popscycle likes this.