Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    11/10/20 NS 1070 leads Norfolk Southern Office Car Special (OCS) through Heflin, AL (Photo by Elijah Brown)
    NS.jpg
    franken, KMichael, N-Id-Jim and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My most recent encounter with train movement happened 7 days ago on Nov. 5. I was headed back home and decided to swing by the PA yard. Riding over the bridge I could see there were a good number of power unites in the yard.

[​IMG]

I was about to turn around and leave when I saw the engine on the above right (i.e., 5933) start to move so I tore over the bridge down to the edge of the yard just in time to see a consist of 4 locomotives pulling out of the yard.

[​IMG]
    The four pulled just far enough out to pull back in on another track.

[​IMG]

They tucked back into the yard and two guys climbed down from the lead carrying their backpacks, suggesting they were done.

[​IMG]

Knowing the line is up for sale, I learned several days later that CSX was in talks with both Pan Am and NS, which partners with Pan AM in the route from NY into Ayer, MA. I thought NS might be wanting to buy PA given their stake in PAS; however, they appear to be having issues elsewhere, given the number of humps they've been closing of late.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, chethro and 2 others like this.
  3. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Pops ! I love ur thread.. I may be a bit of a non-tech guy, but i havent been able to see any of ur pics for a while now... its a bummer too... what sup?

BTW I can see the cool choo choo pic up above from RR100RTRider.. ?? Huh?
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim. Am guessing your browser is blocking things coming from my image server. Some others have had this problem, especially with Chrome. Suggest you try going to ADVrider from another browser and see if that's the problem. Thanks for letting me know.

PS: I've noticed from here that other pics have been very slow to load and some not at all.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  5. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim I can right click on each image and open it in another tab to see them. It's a little time consuming but usually well worth it.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Awesome picture! Thanks for posting it.
    N-Id-Jim and B10Dave like this.
  7. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always read long threads like this backwards. :D I have broke into the 200's and I'm really enjoying the tank pictures. I play World of Tank Blitz on my PC and it's funny how close the pixel tanks are to the real things.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It's tough to keep up with so many great threads here so I do the same thing from time to time. As for the tanks, glad you're enjoying them. It's on my dance card to get back there and take more pics but from different angles. You can't have too many pictures of tanks, and planes, trains, cars, motorcycles, boats . . . . ! Anyway, here's a more colorful tank pic in lieu of our not being there to see it up close and personal.

[​IMG]

Posted with appreciation of and for the late Jacques Littlefield and the work of the Collings Foundation.

--------------
    EDIT NOTE: For reasons unknown to me, Google started blocking my images in their Chrome browser such that some users cannot see them. All other browsers see these pictures OK.
    KMichael, chethro and jeickerman like this.
  9. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    When I want to read Pop's pages, I simply copy the URL, then open a window in MS Edge, paste the URL and it works fine. A lot more convenient then opening images one at a time. I find Pop's web host is the only one that I have this problem with in Chrome, but like you I find it worth the effort to follow his fine thread.

Wayne
    drklynoon likes this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    For some reason, some versions of Chrome are blocking the (imbedded in ADVrider HTML) URL to my image server. I am guessing there's some algorithm in Chrome that is acting as a "nanny" or thinks I am competition to Google Images, which I am not (server is multifunction for our family only). Google is an unfriendly and greedy Goliath in this arena and doesn't play well with Windows. Perhaps @B10Dave can share what he did to solve the problem.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rattlesnake Ramble Redux: I had planned to make a return ramble down Rattlesnake Gutter Road for some time now to take one of its offshoots and see a nice waterfall and how an old kiln was holding up. From the east end, this gravel road is only about a mile long before it is blocked by a conservation area. Turning onto Rattlesnake Gutter puts you right in front of a place called "The Mall at Moore's Corner". Now seemingly deserted, years past saw a car parked outside the place with messages on an outside blackboard.

[​IMG]

About a half mile down the road, which turns to gravel, Mill Yard Road take off to the right and down to where the old kiln stood. As it turned out, Mill Yard Rd was also closed due to a bridge out.

[​IMG]

I got off the bike and walked a short ways on down Rattlesnake to the bridge over a creek to see how it was holding up. Some time back, it wasn't something you wanted to ride over. They had put steel plates over the old stuff, making it safe enough to walk or ride over it.

[​IMG]

i walked out onto the bridge and took this picture of the stream.

[​IMG]

While taking the picture, two nice ladies happened by walking their dogs and I told them of my plight - wanting to get down to the kiln and beyond without going all they way around. They were kind enough to remind me there was a gravel trail just wide enough for a small vehicle just around the corner. I took it but didn't take any pics as it was just steep enough to suggest you watch you momentum but not stop. I got down to the kiln.

--------------
    EDIT NOTE: For reasons unknown to me, Google started blocking my images in their Chrome browser such that some users cannot see them. All other browsers see these pictures OK.
    black 8, franken, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; I didn't solve anything. Very occasionally your pics don't show and I have to open in a new tab. Next time I come back to your thread they all show up. However I can say that your's are the only pics that do this. And yes I use Chrome; both on my desktop and my Chrome Book.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, Dave! Yes, the problem is definitely Chrome. Unlike most other inmates, I keep my web images on a shared web server through another hosting company rather than with an image hosting company and Google doesn't seem to like that. It may be part of an intentional, anti-competition IP block, part of their continued problem playing well with Windows or another of their weird DNS issues. Historically, Chrome has had issues displaying images and mine seem to be the latest victim. There's no problem with Safari, IE, Edge or Firefox.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    From Rattlesnake Gutter To The Kiln: One of the objectives of this little rambling detour off my normal paths west was checking on the old charcoal kiln in the town ofLeverett. There just aren't that many old charcoal kilns to be seen around here. It lies just off Rattlesnake Gutter road at coordinates 42.493252, -72.477473.

[​IMG]

Below is a slightly better picture, sans bike.

[​IMG]

Here's what it looked like back in May of 2015:

[​IMG]

15. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    The censorship these days is astounding. I recently had a Budweiser can for sale on eBay. 100% authentic, directly from the estate on an inventor who patented the prototype opener on the can. eBay pulled it, because Anheiswer Busch notified them it was "counterfeit". No proof, no explanation why they think that. The burden is on me to prove to A/B that it is real and get a letter of retraction from them or eBay will never allow me to list it again. A/B has not responded to my correspondence. Why would they? Nothing in it for them.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I cannot imagine why Google would want to censor my pictures. I am just an old retired guy who likes to ride his motorcycle down interesting roads to find, see and photograph interesting things.

[​IMG]

----------------
  17. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Somehow, somewhere, somebody felt like maybe they should be offended.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Reservoir Research: Boats, canoes, tubes and anything that floats is banned from the Wachusetts Reservoir so when you see boats out there, something's up. I had ridden by a week earlier and seen one pontoon boat. Riding by the other day, I saw a bevy of boats in the river basin that feeds into the reservoir. One was close to the shore.

[​IMG]

There was a pump and/or compressor running on the boat and it looked like the plant life might be being sucked up into a big tray for some sort of examination or testing. Unlike a week earlier, there were a lot more boats running around the basin seeming to be doing the same thing.

[​IMG]

You had to notice the wet suits and related paraphernalia on all these pontoon boats. I was just wondering about that when a diver popped up out of the water.

[​IMG]

So far, I've been unable to find out what kind of research they're doing out there but will keep looking. What came to mind was possible research into non-native plant life or examining plants to test for water content factors. With the weather turning cold, one might think this activity will come to an end soom, if not sooner.

----------------
    EDIT NOTE: For reasons unknown to me, Google has been blocking my images in their Chrome browser such that some users cannot see them. Chrome is well known for its image issues. All other browsers see my pictures OK
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Found The Wheel: Just about 11 days ago, the redhead and I encountered several road-closed detours that led us astray off a planned road. By chance, I happened by an old waterwheel out in the middle of nowhere, took some pictures and rode on,. I didn't give any thought to where I was exactly as my mind was on getting to the next waypoint. Later, I got very curious about the "where" and "why" of that waterwheel and it took me some time to find it again but I did.

[​IMG]

It took a little detective work, but I found it at coordinates 42.401083, -71.850931. You can browse a street view image at that spot and view the waterwheel yourself. Anyway, this trip I took the time to look around a little more. Given the level and uniform nature of the berm that dams the water, you would likely conclude this was a man-made pond. Indeed, I later discovered the pond was privately owned.

[​IMG]

Not seeing any "POSTED" signs, I climbed up on the earthen dam and took some pictures of the pond.

[​IMG]

As private ponds go, this one is good-sized and, having decent in/out flow, might contain some lunkers.

[​IMG]

I took one last photo of the water wheel, thinking about others I know of and have seen while out riding. I will be trying to find these photos.

[​IMG]

In any event, I have formed the hypothesis that the waterwheel was placed in the outflow culvert by pond owners at some point as a decorative piece. Unfortunately, the wheel has not been maintained, noting there is not an abundance of waterwheel maintenance people or firms.

----------------
    EDIT NOTE: For reasons unknown to me, Google has been blocking my images in their Chrome browser such that some users cannot see them. Chrome is well known for its image issues. All other browsers render my pictures OK
    B10Dave, black 8, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Composing An Autumn Sunset: I took the picture below (i.e., my favorite bridge) last month near peak of color. Taken during the day, I've wondered what the scene would look like at or near sunset. To that end, I composed the picture by using the basic photo and composing the atmospherics (i.e., sky, sun position, temperature, luminosity, saturation, etc.).

[​IMG]

Except for the sky, all of the elements of the above pic were in the original RAW file.
    B10Dave, black 8, The Opa and 4 others like this.