Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    I was going to inquire as what the wheel may have powered. As you suggest, perhaps it is a decoration. Quite an elaborate one, though--someone put a lot of work into that.
    popscycle likes this.
  2. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    So cool. Well done.
    popscycle likes this.
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind compliment. I like the picture a lot also and will probably do a few more during the cold winter and covid crap.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Road Shot: Below is a pic taken about a week ago that appealed to my old eye for some strange reason. It was taken during a particularly nice ride where the temps got up out of the 40s into the 60s and the road was devoid of cars and critters other than turkeys.

[​IMG]
    chethro, KMichael, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    very nice John...
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Rudy!
    black 8 likes this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Blast From The Past: Cleaning up the files this morning and came upon this photo from 2015 where we were doing a 360 on a RR turntable. Being slow, the ride wasn't all that exciting but it was an interesting adventure nevertheless.

[​IMG]

Riding the redhead and/or the bluehair out into the yard and onto the turntable to give the girl a pose and a whirl was, unfortunately, out of the question.

----------------
    EDIT NOTE: For reasons unknown to me, Google has been blocking my images in their Chrome browser such that some Chrome users cannot see them. Chrome is well known for its image issues. All other browsers render my pictures OK
  8. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    I like the perspective in this shot. Very cool.
  9. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Hold on--there's a lot to see here. No descriptions? Help us out. What are we looking at?
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You're seeing the back end of the old New Haven RR rail yard in Danbury, CT. More specifically, the old RR turntable shown below.

[​IMG]

The turntable is located at coordinates 41.397198, -73.446272. There just aren't that many turntables still around and even less you can ride on. We've also seen, but not ridden, working turntables in Scranton PA, Strasburg PA, Willimantic CT, Bellows Falls VT and other locations over the years. Below is the turntable and roundhouse at Steamtown in Scranton.

[​IMG]

Perhaps the most unexpected turntable is the one I saw out in a field while riding through tiny Forrest, IL, decades ago. I didn't stop then because it was getting late and I was on the last legs of a butt-tiring, 1300 mile cruiser (VTX 1200) ride. Many years later I went back, walked out into the field and got this pic. At that time, they were attempting to turn that field into a RR park.

[​IMG]

Tiny Forrest IL (pop. 1,000 +) was once a major RR junction of the Wabash mainline, Wabash branch line and TP&W mainline.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old Lady Buys Muscle Car: Since my sister was 13 years old, she's wanted a Mustang. Now, a good bit more than 60 years later, she's finally got one and it's a bit on the rare and wild side. That would be the 760 HP, 2020 Shelby GT500 Cobra, shown below, that she picks up this week. She sent me this iPhone pic this morning.

[​IMG]

Good for you, sis! That's a kick-ass set of wheels that is perfectly reasonable for a youngster like you.
    drklynoon, daslipper, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  12. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    popscycle likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Previous Pastime Pangs: I was riding through Rutland, MA, a week or so ago and took a shortcut down Fishermans Road, shown below.

[​IMG]

It was on this road that something started tugging hard on my memory cells, forcing the redhead to stop so I could contemplate the scene without messing up the ride.

[​IMG]

I'd never fished this place and wondered why not. I once had the perfect boat for these kinds of waters, where big (for NE) largemouth like to lurk in the weeds. I always caught my biggest bass up near or in weeds. The boat was a shallow draft, one person canoe with near perfect ballast when you put the trolling motor battery up front. Shown below, I sold said canoe the summer of 2011.

[​IMG]

The canoes - I had 2- were competing with the motorcycle and the ratio of fun/(time+effort) wasn't as great as it was for the bike. With fishing, you spend a good bit of time (1) keeping your fishing gear in good shape, (2) tying flies and poppers when using the fly rod, (3) charging the battery, (4) loading and unloading the canoe, (5) driving to the fishing spot and (6) washing your lures. Last, but not least, was the issue of keeping the ratty old fishing car running (i.e., a really crappy GM Saab rattling rust bucket with parts that liked to break). Having recently gotten both an Acura coming off lease (which Lynne wasn't going to let be used as a fishing car) and a not-new replacement for the GL1500, there wasn't money in the budget or desire in the brain for another fishing car. Wheels won out over things that float.

[​IMG]

We ended up selling both canoes. The other canoe was a longer, 2-person, Nature Bound that showed some wear and tear. I replaced the wicker seats with lawn chair webbing and flotation cushions.

[​IMG]

I first bought the 2-person as a replacement for a heavier and more tipsy Grumman aluminum flatback. Having grown up on a river and spent a little quality time at an old lumber camp on Lake of The Woods near Kenora Canada, I had a long-standing thing for canoes, especially the kind (i.e., flatbacks) that got you from Kenora to the lumber camp and back. The longer-standing thing for motorcycles was getting me to and from interesting places like the location below faster and with more scenery.

[​IMG]

I do, though, sometimes wonder what's lurking in the waters I see.
    st2sam, KMichael and jeickerman like this.
  14. billfires

billfires Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John, thank you for the explanation on seeing your photos. I was not able to see them on my phone (Android on Chrome), but am successful on my laptop ( using Edge). I was really missing seeing the photos but still followed the thread with your excellent descriptions. Thanks again, Bill C
    popscycle likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sticking with it and finding a remedy! Stay safe!!
  16. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Nice flash back photo of HondaPotamus II .
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes, the infamous, vile and potentially heinous HondaPotamus II. We remember it well in the picture below - posed for posterity, complete with requisite cruiserface. I think Lynne shot the pic.

[​IMG]

Why such a negative attitude, one might ask. Well, aside from rattling plastic, electrical issues and fork seals that like to defecate all over the brake rotors; it had a psychopathic personality. The bike liked to ghost shift or shift into another gear for no rhyme or reason and without you touching the clutch or shift lever. Sometimes ghost shifting was annoying and other times downright dangerous (e.g., downshifting at highway speeds and trying to throw you forward into the windshield). Aside from that, it got to be too heavy and handled like a slug. Kudos to the engine, though, that ran and sounded like a gigantic sewing machine motor. It should be noted, though, that a good number of Goldwings made their owners very happy, some of whom would swear the bike could defy Newton's laws of inertia and motion. It couldn't.
    B10Dave, KMichael and MattF44 like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Here's another operating roundtable, down in Willimantic just off the NECR line. Didn't know if you'd seen it or not. Turntable and roundhouse are at coordinates 41.714880, -72.235625.

[​IMG]

I am trying to see if I have any pics of what's in the roundhouse. Will post if I can find them.
    B10Dave, KMichael and jeickerman like this.
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Now, to be fair, you had tens of thousands of enjoyable riding miles on HondaPotamus I and II. It wasn't all bad.
  20. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Yes, please -- curious minds want to peek inside.
    popscycle and B10Dave like this.