Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    POP, the way that picture came out and the feeling I get from it is amazing. I am really hoping to get a mirrorless from santa and I will be getting good editing software (probably the suit you recommended) Thank you for the looks.
    popscycle likes this.
  2. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Listen, when one is stuck in downtown Los Angeles one can't get enough "trees". Please keep posting all the "...not much else to see except trees and the occasional track/trail to explore..." you can.
  3. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Pops occasionally smiles. I promise I've seen it happen; at least 3 times over the last 25 years. I think the first time involved a Boeing PT-17 Stearman. The second time was the day his GS was delivered. The third time involved a particularly tasty roast. Anyways, he's a good man, that Pops -- stoic or grinning (which is almost like a smile)!
    snorkie, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  4. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some November Road Pics: These were all taken in the vicinity of, but not on, Baptist Corners in Ashfield, MA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's some more November road shots laying around. Will find, convert and post.
    klaviator, GAS GUY, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More November Road Pics: Just some more miscellaneous shots taken on the road during November rides. On these roads, traffic is almost never an issue.

[​IMG]

There are a good number of old, colonial farmsteads out here.

[​IMG]

The picture below was taken along the CT river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have to be in a world of hurt not to enjoy roads like this. We're thankful for still being able to enjoy them.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Below is picture with said facial expression critic, taken up in Grafton VT back when the redhead was new and facial and other muscles hadn't recovered from many decades of cruiser.

[​IMG]

Your face doesn't overcome 60 years of cruisers overnight, you know. It's a miracle that I don't have a permanent, scowling look of someone riding while pissed-off, constipated, with hemorrhoids and having a kidney stone attack.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Lost Picture Found: Below is a picture of the Children's Chime Tower, taken in 2014 while riding through Stockbridge, MA. The photo had been archived on al older USB drive that predated our last move and, heretofore, never posted.

[​IMG]

The tower was built in 1878 by Charles Dudley Field II to honor his grandchildren and serve as a memorial to the people he cared for. Field's intention were stated as, “It will be a memorial of those who are enshrined in my heart, while the ringing of the chimes at sunset I trust will give pleasure to all whose good fortune is to live in this peaceful valley.” The chimes are still rung TODAY at 5:30 between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The tower is located on the spot where the town's 1739 church once stood (coordinates 42.283754, -73.319615).

----------------
    EDIT NOTE: For reasons unknown to me, Google has been blocking my images in their Chrome browser such that some users cannot see them. Chrome is well known for its image issues. All other browsers see my pictures OK
  8. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Lately I can't see them using Mozilla either. Has not been an issue before.
  9. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Who is this Mr. Field the 2nd, and what's he all about?
  10. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Are those syrup lines I see?
  11. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    Came through for me. I am using Firefox 83.0 on a Mac.

John
  12. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    They are showing up now, it was an ad blocker/privacy tracker blocking app that was causing the issue on my end. I deleted the app and all is good.
    klaviator and popscycle like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well, David Dudley Field I was the Stockbridge church pastor from 1819 to 1837. His son, Field II, was a successful lawyer, businessman and politician. DDF II obviously had some dough.

Yes. Maple syrup and sugar houses are a big thing in that part of the Berkshires.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I am now pretty sure my Chrome problem (and perhaps other browsers depending on their security settings) is one of blocking non-HTTPS sites. Since the site where I store my photos doesn't handle any data transactions, only simple photo URLS, there's really no need for S-level encryption for me so it's an HTTP, not HTTPS, site. Google, sees the need to be some people's internet nanny. As of Chrome 85 and later, it will not allow non-HTTPS images to load automatically. .
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Autumn Bridge Shot: I took multiple pictures the last time I rode over Bardwells Ferry Bridge. This is another of those. The fall color offsets the drab, dreary and wet weather of late here.

[​IMG]

The above shot is a lot like a previous pic but from a slightly different angle.
  16. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Nice pic. I'm guessing the rafting season is over at this point. How's the research on the soft luggage coming along? I recall you were looking into lighter pannier options a while back. Any progress?
    popscycle likes this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: For those of us who might want or need a bit of a train fix, here's a Nov. pic of the PAS (i.e., Pan Am Southern joint venture between PA and NS) pulling into the Deerfield yard.

[​IMG]

The last rumors I heard about the Pan Am sale were that CSX was interested and NS was not but was against any CSX purchase. Other potential suitors mention in passing were CP and G&W. G&W bought Providence & Worcester in 2016 and did some infrastructure upgrades. Pan Am, which has been known as the the North Korea of U.S. railroads, has a reputation for ignoring infrastructure and some of their lines look like it. We are reminded of their tunnel collapse earlier this year. I rode out there in April to see what was going on.

[​IMG]

Problem was, that was the wrong end of the tunnel. The cave-in was at the other, western, end in North Adams but there was a good amount of tunnel concrete mix stored at this eastern end. Perhaps the east portal was a was a better staging point. The first train had gone through right around the time I rode there.

Edit Note: If you cannot see these photos, it probably means you are using one of the newer "nanny" versions of the Chrome browser, which makes decisions on what you can and cannot access and see.
    klaviator, Benduro, chethro and 2 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I don't know, some of those water weasels are akin to those who ride in frigid weather. Some call winter rafting "magical". I guess it's all in how you dress.

[​IMG]

As for the soft luggage, there's been other priorities so nothing yet. New tires are the next priority for the bike. Will probably go with the 80-20 Anakee Adventure

Edit Notes: Internet photo above.
  19. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have always wanted to take my canoe out on a creek just like that in the snow. The right day and my time off just haven't aligned yet. You just need to wear a dry suit. I have fished many days in the cold weather. The beauty is you're usually by yourself on the lake that day....:dunno
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Am thinking a trip like that could yield some really outstanding photos. Also, gives me some ideas for winter water shots.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.