1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks so peaceful with the white contrasting the black water.

I was looking for a shot I took while out on Christmas Eve in my canoe on a nearby lake a few years back, but couldn't find it. Not a pretty shot with the muddy water of the lake, but for some reason I was by myself that day.
    KMichael likes this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frenetic Frog Fracas - Fact, Fancy or Folklore: The subject of Willimantic, CT, came up yesterday. When thinking of that old mill town, two things come to mind. One is that the town was once famous for manufacturing textile and thread. The other is the great Bullfrog Battle of 1754. According legend, folklore and written accounts, the night of June 1754 was rife with spooky, dreadful sounds and fright. Some thought the sounds were the horns of Judgement Day while others thought it was the sound of war. The fracas was eventually attributed to fighting frogs - the battle of the bullfrogs or Windham frog fight. Research it if you wish HERE.

Anyway, frogs are more interesting than old thread mills so the town built a bridge across the river whose portals are giant, copper frogs sitting on thread spools. Thread city became frog city and today's weather (i.e. a frog strangler with high winds) sent me into the archives looking for pictures of the those frog portals.

Having already posted the bridge frog pic some time back, I thought the frogs need a more mysterious and fanciful water setting. Thus, the following, which is a composite of multiple pictures I took. My thought is that the frogs were fighting over women and dinner (i.e., fireflies), on which they overindulged.

[​IMG]

This picture should be considered "goofing off" rather than a serious graphic effort. I figured I should post this before the projected 50 to 60 mph winds take the power out as they did the last time winds were this strong.

Edit Note: Later versions of the "nanny" Chrome browser block our pictures because they're on an old non-encrypted (i.e., HTTP rather than HTTPS) site. Other browsers work fine.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Wasn't Chasing Trains, Caught One Anyway: With temps in the 50s this afternoon, I took a short ride and decided to swing by the northern terminus of the Grafton & Upton short line so see if there was any power there.

[​IMG]

Non of their engines were there; however, just as I was about to put the camera in the bag, an MBTA commuter rolled by. I barely managed to catch it in time.

[​IMG]

Luck of the Irish, perhaps as we've not been successful chasing trains of late.

Edit Note: Later versions of the "nanny" Chrome browser block our pictures because they're on an old non-encrypted (i.e., HTTP rather than HTTPS) site. Other browsers work fine and don't trying to tell you what you can or cannot see.
    klaviator, chethro, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On Olden Pond: Taken on yesterday's ride by an old pond that is across the road from a revolutionary war general's home.

[​IMG]

This little park and pond is a favorite stopping place when I am going through town and is a lovely place in the spring and fall. I haven't gotten many fall pics there yet.

[​IMG]

Above is a May 2017 photo taken from the left bank in the first pic.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 8 others like this.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I love the Canada Geese. I live on the largest lake in the city. We have scores of Canada Geese in the summer. They’re on our patios all summer driving my indoor cat nuts. I walk to the market there’s two of them talking on the sidewalk and I have step around them into a lane of traffic. No fear whatsoever.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Much to the chagrin of that town's animal control officer, who doesn't like goose poop; that little pond seems to be a mecca for Canadian geese. They arrive early spring and hang out in and around the pond, including the baseball field, bandstand, etc. There are signs telling park goers not to feed the geese and the animal officer can often be found in the park watching for scofflaws.

[​IMG]

The geese seem to mingle well with park goers and don't usually leave until sometime in November.

[​IMG]
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix Favorite: A from-the-bridge shot of our local, (soon-to-be-gone?), nitty gritty railroad in action.

[​IMG]

I post this noting that several days ago, CSX announced it had signed a definitive agreement to acquire Pan Am. I always thought the name Pan Am should remain on planes, not trains.
    klaviator, B10Dave, chethro and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Redhead Saw Her Shadow: Temps climbed up to almost 50 this afternoon and the redhead begged to get out. It was one of those rare December afternoons and it got me up and out of the shop.

[​IMG]

We covered some good roads for a short ride, starting just down the street.

[​IMG]

A few more pics to follow when I get them converted.

Edit Note: Later versions of the "nanny" Chrome browser block our pictures because they're on an old non-encrypted (i.e., HTTP rather than HTTPS) site. Other browsers work fine and don't try to tell you what you can or cannot see.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Goodbye Pan Am, Hello CSX? Pan Am has been the railroad of convenience when out chasing trains due to both proximity and scenery. That is to say that PA tracks and yard are near some of the better riding routes. For that reason, we've a good number of PA pics taken while riding.

[​IMG]

This may soon change. On Nov. 30 CSX announced it had signed an agreement to purchase Pan Am. Including haulage rights, Pan Am has about 1,700 miles of track that runs from NY to Maine.

CSX announced Nov. 30 it had signed a definitive agreement to acquire Pan Am Railways, Inc., the 1,800-mile Class II in New England, expanding its reach in Connecticut, New York and Massachusetts, while adding Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine to its existing 23-state network. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. It is subject to regulatory review and approval by the STB. Source: Railway Age
    CSX already operated the more southern corridor across MA from Albany to Worcester while Pan Am ran, in partnership with NS, a more northerly route from Mechanicsville, NY, to Ayer, MA, and beyond into Maine.

[​IMG]

There was the usual PR-speak coming from CSX about all of this.

“In Pan Am, CSX gains a strong regional rail network in one of the most densely populated markets in the U.S., creating new efficiencies and market opportunities for customers as we continue to grow,” CSX CEO Jim Foote said today in a statement announcing the deal. “We intend to bring CSX’s customer-centric focus and industry-leading operating model to shippers and industries served by Pan Am. We look forward to integrating Pan Am into CSX, with substantial benefits to the rail-served industries of the Northeast, and to working in partnership with connecting railroads to provide exceptional supply chain solutions to New England and beyond.” Source: Trains
    Another aspect of this deal is the Pan Am Southern joint venture between PA and NS. Pan Am Southern consists of 437 miles of rail lines and trackage rights routes between Mechanicville, N.Y., and Ayer, Mass., which gives NS access to the Boston area. Pan Am Southern access also includes the north-south route Pan Am uses between White River Junction, VT, and its branches in Connecticut via Springfield, Mass.

[​IMG]

The sale, should it go through, could bring a new level of interest to our train chasing and photography efforts.

[​IMG]

What, if anything, will happen to the Deerfield and Ayer yards? Will CSX upgrade the aging infrastructure? Will there be more intermodal traffic on the PAS routes? Will the Hoosac Tunnel get a ceiling left to handle double stack?
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tough Turkey: It was a tough turkey shot. The weather was turning from cold damp rain to cold wet snow and I wanted to get a picture of our yard birds up close in case they disappeared for the winter (which they often do). The difficulty was one of focus with the falling snow and them moving around the yard at a good clip. Aside from easily-spooked (by people) moving turkeys, the camera itself presents a host of settings that one should think about and select before getting in position for the shot. I didn't do that but eventually lucked out just before the up-close bird ran into the woods.

[​IMG]

Henceforth, I shall remember to set the camera's focus mode to C (continuous autofocus) when things are likely to be moving. Let the camera do the work for you when it can.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On The Common: I was riding north through Grafton, MA, center the other day and decided to stop on the common to stretch and take several pictures. The pictures follow.

[​IMG]

IMHO, Grafton has one of the nicer, old-fashioned town centers in the area.

[​IMG]

The common is surrounded by well-maintained older structures.

[​IMG]

As always happens, the urge to get back riding overwhelms the desire for more pictures. I guess that means I am more of an old rider than old fart photographer.
  12. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I recommend a different mode: "Full choke". :lol3
    KMichael, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    LOL, we once had a neighbor with that same predilection. Didn't like them roosting in her trees and leaving their turds around the yard. Personally, I encourage the turkeys to hang around as they, like the free-range chickens, like to dine on tics and mites.
    KMichael, chethro, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Industrial Bleak: Bleak and/or dreary are two words that describe our weather of late as we zoom into winter. I knew I had taken a December photo that pictures gritty winter bleak (i.e., cold, windy, old mills and without the visual cosmetic of snow) and I found it.

[​IMG]

Winters look bleak in old mill towns.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Last Pearl Harbor Survivor: Below is the world's only Curtiss P-40B and only airworthy American fighter that survived the attack on Pearl Harbor.

[​IMG]

Taken this morning, there are more pics and information to follow.
  16. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Taken with hand-held RX10-iv in AUTO mode. Camera has built-in 600 mm optical zoom lens.
  18. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As an ex-Goldwing rider, I thought you would enjoy this (seen over at drriders.com):

KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  19. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Impressive! Is that photo as taken, out of the camera? I may question the use of my Z6...
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Perhaps Honda should start remaking a minimalist GL1000 and call it an adventure bike. The weight of the early GL1000 wasn't too far off BMW's R1250 GS and a little weight loss might do wonders for the boxer 4.
    KMichael and B10Dave like this.