Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Cool post. FYI, electric scooters have become a real hazard here in downtown LA. Scan-your-phone-and-ride scooters provided by Bird, Lime, Lyft and other companies clutter the street corners and sidewalks everywhere you go. Riders go to fast and are constantly getting hurt themselves or are crashing into pedestrians. Not a good situation.
    B10Dave likes this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This Ol' Riverboat Walkin Up The River: I think it was sometime around 1970 when I got a look at the Delta Queen coming up the Illinois River. The 1964 hit riverboat song by the New Christy Minstrels was playing in my head then as it is now.

[​IMG]

Being intent on watching it dock on the riverbank, I didn't take many pictures with the old SLR. I do remember taking a picture of the captain driving his VW bug down the ramp, onto the riverbank and off to somewhere. I did get a picture of that but can no longer find it. With three kids, wife and demanding job, there was no time or money for riverboat cruises but I did get on board to look around. Once again, the eyes and brain forgot about the camera while examining the boat.

[​IMG]

The Delta Queen plied the rivers up until 2008 when it lost its operating exemption. In 2019, the Congressional exemption was signed by the President and the Queen is/was being refurbished down in LA. The last time I looked, it was at coordinates 29.593409, -90.661703 in Houma, LA. It would make a great "your bike by an old thing" pose for some inmate.

Apologies for the state of the (restored) pics. The originals were in pretty bad shape and with shop work TBD, I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on them.
  3. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I grew up in western PA right on the Ohio River. I still remember when my mom first pointed out the Delta Queen to me as a kid. I saw it occasionally through the years but haven’t thought about it in awhile. Thank you for this memory today!
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  4. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    John: You must take a trip to Holyoke, MA and visit the Carousel in Heritage Park. I went once just to take a ride. I had ridden it as a child at Mountain Park. They've restored it and put it in a neat building. I was there mid week and it wasn't busy, so the guy who was there saw me oogling it and asked if I wanted to see inside (the workings). I said yes. What a cool machine, leather belts and big greasy gears. And a HUGE old electric motor. I was so impressed that my wife and I became donors to keep the thing going. We sent them a substantial donation for at least 10 years up until we relocated south. I think you will like it. Dont be afraid to ask the see the guts. There's also a bunch of old mills and canals in the same spot.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Ghost Of Christmas Ride Past: We haven't had very many Christmas holiday rides over the last decade. One, however, was memorable. Having ridden down to Cape Cod, we got a few decent pictures. This is one of those, taken near the Nausett lighthouse located at coordinates 41.860164, -69.952904.

[​IMG]

If you are going to ride Cape Cod, it is a good idea to do it off season outside commute hours. As I recall, it got up to about 55 degrees with blue skies and no wind. I managed to stay toasty warm early and late with the electrics.
  6. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I understand the Paper City Brewery is also a nice stop for some okay beer and some great history.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Heritage Park site, I am guessing they will keep the park's visitor center and carousel closed until such time as the covid crap abates or people get fed up with politicians dictating their freedoms. In any event, there are certainly some good mill/canal pics to be had. Thanks for the reminder, Russ.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I am thinking the Paper City Brewery closed some time back. It would have been a very nice stop.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You got me doing a little research and I learned the Queen will have its new home base on the Mississippi River in Kimmswick, MO but will still ply the Ohio and other major waterways. Also, I spruced up this picture that I had taken back then.

[​IMG]

Seems like there was a whole lot of cruiserface on that boat.
  10. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 you're durn tootin'!
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Show Your Bike At A Foggy Bridge In December: If there was such a thread, this would be my entry.

[​IMG]

This was a makeover of one of a series of pics taken in SCN mode.
  12. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Connecticut river?
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes, underneath the French King Bridge on Pine Meadow Road. As is too often the case, I hurried the shots.
    KMichael likes this.
  14. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google Streetview from Nov 2019 shows it at the coordinates:

Capture.PNG

Side story: I spent a summer in college working for a Geology professor. We did some field work in Houma for about a week. I had the best sandwich I've ever had: a shrimp poboy, served right in front of the boat on fresh french bread. This was almost 30 years ago and I still remember it fondly. Never forget a good sandwich.
    chethro, B10Dave, jeickerman and 3 others like this.
  15. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    The French King Bridge is my favorite of all in the CT River Valley.
    popscycle likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not Cruising: The "posh, posh, traveling life" just isn't for us - not even a little bit when it's very posh. We were once invited to participate in an on-board event (details omitted as a privacy consideration) followed by a cruise, with a top deck stateroom on a good size ship. We did go on board for the event prior to regular passenger boarding. We did not go on the cruise.

[​IMG]

Having seen port cities and the ocean, there really isn't much to see or do on a cruise ship that you can't do at home except, perhaps, get waited on, eat a greater variety of food and catch a norovirus (i.e., not really an adventure). What you can't do is get out and ride, except maybe at some port of call. Anyway, the whole affair and state rooms were top drawer on the top deck, which had a good view.

[​IMG]

Not staying on board after the event, I had nowhere to "go" for a pee break so the guests of honor graciously let me use their cabin. Good grief, it was a suite with a grand piano in the foyer. The view from their pissoir, shown below, was interesting. I never did find out for sure exactly what people down in the pool area could have seen if you were on the can. Also, was that statue supposed to be mooning people or preparing to skinny-dip? Possibly a question to ponder while positioning your privates so they couldn't be seen through the ceiling to floor glass in the head. Not being a sitzpinkler makes you think about such things.

[​IMG]

Other than the view from the head, I took lots of other pictures, but they were of people and the event, which didn't qualify as an adventure. I could see being on board one of these for a few days if they'd let you poke around and take pictures of the mechanicals. I wonder if the gearheads who went on those Hemmings Motor News (Carnival) cruises got to hang around in the engine room.
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That span is definitely a classic and a lovely cantilever arch. One of the last times I crossed it there was a large crowd of people on and by the bridge protesting for suicide nets/barriers. It seems the protest organizer thought, but wasn't certain, that her step-son committed suicide by jumping off the bridge. AFAIK, there's no study showing that suicide barriers reduce the rate of associated deaths (e.g., the determined find another route/way).

[​IMG]

Most often, you can often see a handful of people just enjoying the view of the CT river gorge, especially in autumn. It's a beautiful area.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; as to cruises....Wife and I went on a Carnival Cruise for our honeymoon 40 years ago last month. At the stop in Charlotte Amalie; St Thomas; U.S.V.I. we had no plans in place for a shore excursion. Our stop in port was for 11 hrs. so we got off the ship to explore the waterfront and maybe do some duty free shopping. Right on the dock was a sign for motorcycle and scooter rentals. Bingo! Rented a 250 dual sport; I'm thinking Honda but it was 40 years ago and CRS is setting in. Had that little bike for 8 hours for $35 and I think we were on every road on the island. Was back again about 10 years ago and rented a bike again. This time, with the internet we pre booked and they brought the bikes right to the gangplank at the appointed time. I would love to do it one more time before I get too old.
    klaviator, KMichael, The Opa and 2 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Forgotten Flora and Fauna: Can't remember exactly when or where we saw this little critter. I generally don't stay in one spot long enough to get pictures like this.

[​IMG]

Regardless, this is just another interesting thing seen and photographed while out and about. I've no clue what kind of lizard it is.
    KMichael, chethro, jeickerman and 3 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    IMHO, a honeymoon cruise would seem to have many merits for all the obvious reasons. Sailing to some exotic place where you could ride while ashore could certainly make the honeymoon experience even better. As for getting too old, LOL, I think maybe we've gotten there. Back in the day, I did enjoy short ferry trips across the English Channel (when the weather was good) and river cruises in Europe but those now qualify as "been there, done that" events that have little or no appeal. I do, however, think cruising UK canals in a narrowboat would be highly enjoyable for a week or so, given the number of shops, museums and pubs found along those highways of old. Hauling a small scoot or two on the bow could double the adventure. In that vein, below is a picture I took and just restored that shows what this old fart thinks would be a fundamental element of a good cruise - wheels, 2 or 4, to cruise ashore while cruising a scenic river or canal.

[​IMG]

What you see above is the most notable captain Ernest Wagner driving his VW off the Delta Queen for an onshore jaunt. Wagner and his ill-fated bow beetle were/are the stuff of legend and adventure. We are told the Queen was preparing for a landing at the foot of Memphis' Beale Street and Wagner wanted his VW turned around so he could drive ashore. He asked one of deck hands to turn it around in preparation for the landing. The deck hand, who didn't know how to drive a stick shift, popped the clutch and drove the VW through the bow fence and into the Mississippi River, where it started floating downstream on a cruise of its own.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 4 others like this.