Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Now that's funny! :lol3
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  2. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s a great photo!

Numa
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dampfspeicherlok Mystery Finally Solved: The word dampfspeicherlok translates to steam storage locomotive. Over 50 years ago, I took this picture from a train moving through communist East Germany on the way to Berlin. At that time, I had never encountered a steam locomotive without a smokestack and never one where the pistons were in the rear below the cab. Thus, the picture.

[​IMG]

Copied from a crappy old slide, I have been restoring the picture off and on for over 10 years. Now finished, I think we know what the locomotive is - a fireless steam locomotive that was made in East Germany by at the Meiningen Steam Locomotive Works. They were making these things as late as 1980. Below is an internet picture of one that has been restored at the Genthin Henkel Works.

[​IMG]

This mystery has been solved. It only took 50 plus years. Kids, jobs, moves, motorcycles, technology and events are the only excuses for not getting it done sooner.
  4. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I don't understand how the steam is created.
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Super heated steam is created in a boiler in some steam generating plant and then piped through a hose into the locomotive tank. The locomotive is just a big steam tank/reservoir on wheels. Once the hose is removed, the engine can run around until steam pressure is low to the point the tank needs to be recharged. These engines were used in environments where there was a potential fire hazard (e.g., mines, chemical plants, munitions works, etc.). Below is a fireless engine once used by Pennsylvania Power & Light. The locomotive sits in the Railroad Museum in Strasburg, PA.

[​IMG]
  6. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    That's what I was picturing, but it didn't seem like they could store enough to be useful.
    Thanks, I learned something today. Good way to end 2020
    Happy new year
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rocket Redux: One of the most imposing exhibits in the American Heritage Museum is the Scud missile and launcher. Several weeks ago, I rode back there to take a closer look and get more pictures.

[​IMG]

Technically, the missile is an R17 Elbrus (Scud B) with a MAZ-543 launch vehicle. The missile is based on the German V2 of WWII, has a range of around 190 miles and wasn't terribly accurate. Missile fuel was
    unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine (UDMH) combined with red fuming nitric acid (IRFNA) as the oxidizer. Nasty stuff.

[​IMG]

The whole rig, missile and launch vehicle weigh just south of 20 tons. The vehicle , which can reach a blistering 37 mph, is powered by a standard 525 hp tank engine. It carries a crew of 4, including the driver.

[​IMG]

The setup and positioning of the missile is done from a small control station that sits between the two sets of 4 drive wheels.

[​IMG]

I was led to believe that it took around an hour for a set up and launch. I was thinking that was a lot of hardware for a weapons system that didn't have a lot of accuracy or strategic potency as used. The MAZ chassis could be made into an interesting, if not practical, RV.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Adventures Of Yore: in trying to recover/restore old pictures, I sometimes come across photos that others might find interesting. Below is a particularly colorful shot taken during an adventure in Paris. The picture was taken on Place Blanche, which is just a block north west of the cheap hotel we had been staying at on Place Pigalle.

[​IMG]

What made this an adventure was that we'd just been kicked out of our hotel - for being Americans. At that time, anti-Americanism was rampant in France, especially in Paris. Being virtually out of money (but with a plane ticket home) made it somewhat interesting. Note the pale blue, 4-wheel, bounce house known as the deux chevaux (i.e., Citroën 2CV) to the right of the picture. Built with an engine similar to the BMW boxer and with a suspension designed to absorb the bumps, rocks, ruts and potholes of farm fields; it should have been called deux chevaux aventure or 2CVADV

For comparative purposes, the picture was taken just about HERE.
    NxtGoRnd, klaviator, JRowland and 6 others like this.
  9. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a nice throwback photo John...

Happy New Year...
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you and Happy New Year to you and yours!
    black 8 likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Two Badly Faded Photos Somewhat Saved: Rain and fog in the busy English Channel. Good times, though, when water was calm.

[​IMG]

Pilot boat off Belgium coast.

[​IMG]

Still looking to find, digitize and refurbish others of this crossing. Hope you find them interesting
    NxtGoRnd, klaviator, zookster and 7 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Camera Took A Really Good Lower Light Pic: One of the camera's better indoor tank pics. Subject is the M5 Stuart.

[​IMG]

Have found pic can have substantially improved focus and detail when using camera's built-in scene anti-motion blur function (sans flash). This is a good feature to have in a camera. Stupid me just figured out it was better than AUTO mode is these situations. At my age, I don't like messing with cameras any more. I just want to point and shoot and then ride/move on.
    NxtGoRnd, klaviator, zookster and 6 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Lee Marvin Drove This In The Dirty Dozen: Below is a Sd.Kfz.8 Sonderkraftfahrzeug (special motorized vehicle) that was made by Krauss-Maffei sometime in 1940 -1941.

[​IMG]

Initially designed by Daimler-Benz, who built most of them with Krupp, the behemoth was essentially a tractor that pulled artillery and other heavy equipment with room to carry some troops (up to 11 plus 2 crew) and/or supplies.

[​IMG]