Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Train Fix Favorite: One from the vault of most favorite train pictures.

[​IMG]

It doesn't get much better than this, especially when you have train ambiance to go with a nice sandwich or vice versa.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ride By Reminder of Milling Around: I was on Hartford Ave in Uxbridge the other day and passed by the old Crown & Eagle mill complex, which is now apartments. As someone who likes old mills, this reminded me that I still had some good weather pictures of the place from a previous rides.

[​IMG]

Among the area's old mills, this one stands out with a stream running through the middle. I also reminded to get out and do more milling around. Problem is, I don't do snow and ice any more at my advancing age.
    NxtGoRnd, klaviator, B10Dave and 7 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Watching Spot Was A Favorite Pic: Once a great spot for catching Providence and Worcester trains coming north out of the yard, I haven't been there for a while. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite train-related photos. It was taken on a mild winter day.

[​IMG]

I am hoping the new owners,G&W, haven't shut the area down, as seems to be the trend. It is now on the redhead's dance card to find out if open and if there's any traffic, which means riding into the bowels of Worcester.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Midwinter Milling Around: Another "industrial" picture that tries to captures the cold winter mood of an old mill town.

[​IMG]
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata: Picture taken at Battleship Cove sometime back on a ride with Joe.

[​IMG]

This was the best of the pics taken of this boat. Image was improved (i.e., color correction, noise/haze removal, etc.) by running it through AI. The scene is pretty accurate now with nothing really modified or overblown.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, chethro and 7 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Passing Of 3 Locos: While out riding, I used to see three particular locomotives quite often - MEC (i.e., Pan Am's Maine Central Designation) 608, 609 and 610. These were all EMD SD40 units. Pan Am had 18 of them at one time or another.

[​IMG]

MEC 608, shown above, was last knowingly seen and photographed by someone up in Maine back in 2017. The MEC roster says it has been sold.

[​IMG]

MEC 609 was last photographed in 2019 at the Juniata shop in Altoona, PA. There's no mention of 609 on the roster. Like 608, 610 was last knowingly seen/photographed in 2017 and the roster shows shows it as also sold.

[​IMG]

With Pan Am on the block to be sold to CSX, pending NTSB approval; rail fans and train chasers are wondering what changes might be in the offing. Pan Am did not have a good reputation, either as railroad or railfan object.

Pan Am and its corporate predecessor Guilford are notorious for paring service and infrastructure investment to an absolute minimum while offloading as many costs as possible onto the public sector. Source: Commonwealth Magazine

Meanwhile, on the news Pan Am was for sale, TransitMatters, a Boston-based advocacy group, called for the New England states to “take a strong role in determining the ultimate fate of the Pan Am system.” Noting Pan Am’s consistent history of trimming rail service and neglecting rail infrastructure, the group recommended the New England states acquire its active and potential passenger routes as well as any freight lines likely to be abandoned. Source: NH Business Review.

TransitMatters, a nonprofit that advocates for improved transit in and around Boston, last month published that “Pan Am and its corporate predecessor Guilford are notorious for paring service and infrastructure investment to an absolute minimum while offloading as many costs as possible onto the public sector.” Source: Greenfield Recorder
    I am reminded of the picture I took last July of a ratty looking GE Dash 8 sitting on the weed-infested, Pan Am mainline in Erving, MA. Now that's an interesting use of resources.

[​IMG]

Track speed that day was zero. Normally, it's just slow. I remember reading that Pan Am had numerous spots where track speed was limited to 10 mph, which is not the stuff of efficient delivery in this day and age.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, chethro and 5 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Anderson's Carriage House Revisited: We like carriage houses, to the point of having a carriage house type of addition built to live in as we get older. We especially like old carriage houses with interesting things, new or old, in them. Such is stuff of Larz and Isabel Anderson. The Andersons are no longer with us, their house is gone but their carriage house lives on - as an auto museum as stated in Isabel's will. We revisited the place today and took pictures.

[​IMG]

Larz and Isabel were turn of the century, wealthy, gearheads who bought carriages, automobiles and other things with wheels like we might buy household appliances. Of their original 32 vehicles, 14 remain unrestored in the lower level but the upper floor is devoted to more current auto exhibits. The last time we were there, the museum was exhibiting Porsches. This time it is cars of the golden era plus some others stuff.

[​IMG]

More to follow as I get photos converted. Now it's downstairs to mind tonight's dinner.
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="popscycle, post: 41460543, member: 199850"
    Bottom Line Recommendation: Take pains to capture and preserve the images of your adventures. Such images can help fading memories to resurface and make you smile as you get older.[/QUOTE]

Very good advice. So many of the people I ride with don't bother to take many, if any pictures. Someday they will regret it. I know that I wish I had taken more time to take pics when I was younger. 5 years ago I had some time because the winter weather put a real damper on riding so I decided to take my old riding pictures, scan them and try to do a ride report using those pics and my limited memory. It was a lot of work but well worth it. It brought back a lot of memories and I was able to "relive" some of those old times. After getting a digital camera I started to take a lot of pics but my wife pointed out a few years ago that I was still bad a taking pics of people so I have been working on that.

I am enjoying your this thread and your pictures. You are a true artist with the camera and with processing your pictures.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, chethro and 5 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Very good advice. So many of the people I ride with don't bother to take many, if any pictures. Someday they will regret it. I know that I wish I had taken more time to take pics when I was younger. 5 years ago I had some time because the winter weather put a real damper on riding so I decided to take my old riding pictures, scan them and try to do a ride report using those pics and my limited memory. It was a lot of work but well worth it. It brought back a lot of memories and I was able to "relive" some of those old times. After getting a digital camera I started to take a lot of pics but my wife pointed out a few years ago that I was still bad a taking pics of people so I have been working on that.

I am enjoying your this thread and your pictures. You are a true artist with the camera and with processing your pictures.[/QUOTE]

Happy to hear you enjoy the pictures, Win, and I greatly appreciate your kind words. I think the pics posted by all of us constitute an appreciation for things seen, learned and shared. I have to say, though, that I personally feel much more like a picture mechanic than artist.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Anderson's Carriage House Revisited 2: On first entering, you encounter this "golden age" 1927 Rolls-Royce Derby Phantom I.

[​IMG]

In the photo below, I surgically removed the rope (i.e., with Photoshop) that kept visitors away from the car. I can understand the owners of such vehicles wanting folks to keep their distance. After all, a car like this goes for what, a quarter mil or more? The least little ding or smudge can decrease the value by tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention increasing the owner's BP.

[​IMG]

The car was delivered new to Mrs. C.H. Quinn of San Francisco. I've no idea if this was a Springfield, MA, car or not but suspect it might be. The car's body was made by Brewster & Co. Coachworks in Long Island City, NY.

[​IMG]

By comparison, below is a a 2016 photo I took of a Springfield-made 1928 Rolls-Royce Phantom 1. Rolls were made in Springfield for a decade from 1921 to around 1931.

[​IMG]

More to follow on what's in Larz and Isabel's carriage house.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  11. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is one amazing car. The lines on it assure you that there is nothing better than this. I am jealous of your rope removing skills Pop. I tried to remove a fence earlier this week and was completely unsuccessful.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I Wasted Good Moto Time On This POS: It was a really expensive POS and I wasted the better part of today trying to get it to work. Let me say that I didn't buy this POS but it came our way and I felt obliged to give a go. Where it is going is out to the garage to take a trip back to where it came from. On paper it looks good - humidifies and cools your air, measures and filters out particulate matter and other nasty stuff in the air while reporting on it and letting you measure and control it with your smartphone while sitting on the can taking a dump. That all worked for one day before it crapped the bed. What I found was a known problem that has been around for some months now. The short version of the story follows the picture of this deplorable, irritating and worthless device.

[​IMG]

The thing arrived nicely packaged. What wasn't so nice was the absence of a user manual. They assume you know to get the smartphone app or go online for instructions. I did that and got the unit going. In less than 24 hours, it stopped and notified my iPhone that a deep cleaning was needed due to hard water. Huh? A deep cleaning every 24 hours seems a but much for an insanely expensive piece of gear. Well, I followed the directions for deep cleaning (involves an included packet of citric acid powder). It went into a supposed 60 minute cleaning cycle and wouldn't come out of it - totally hung up. Other users reported no recovery and were told to send it in for repair. A phone call recording told me covid had "affected" their support people (Can they not work from home?) . Had I bought this gadget, I'd be feeling more than a little annoyed right now. As it is, I am annoyed at myself for not checking reviews sooner and just refusing delivery. So, here's one review for the inmates here, who I think are probably smart enough not to spend this kind of money for an air-filtering humidifier with some whizz-bang technology that shits the bed at its earliest opportunity.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I love the looks of the Rolls, Cords, Duesenbergs, etc., of that era. As for rope removing skills for this image, it involved the judicious and tedious use of Photoshop's clone tool, which lets you select pixels from a closely-proximate area and paste them over the rope area at the appropriate angle away from the copy point.
    KMichael, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  14. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pop I think I was doing it wrong or just differently. I was painting over the area I wanted replaced into another layer then filling the painted area with the smart fill. I tried small variations of this technique to no avail. I will try your method next time. Oh and I'll try something easier then a chain link fence lol.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A rope is orders of magnitude easier than a chain link fence unless the background behind the fence isn't complicated. Sometimes Photoshop's healing brush works well in these situations. Something to try.
    KMichael and drklynoon like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Old Beauty: A dusty, musty, unrestored 1912 Renault 40 CV Phaeton languishing in the basement.

[​IMG]

Pic taken in 2016. I screwed up this week's picture of the car.
    KMichael, zookster, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  17. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our old Dyson sweeper which is over 10 years old was getting a little long in the tooth, so we bought a new one mostly to have one on each floor of the house. The new Dyson will be lucky to last a few years. It is not nearly as robust as the old one which is still running! I don't want to turn your thread into a bitch fest, but it does seem Dyson quality has really went down hill.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It can be argued that the nuisance and cost of such appliances is relevant to day tripping in that their problems can keep us from our appointed rounds (i.e., riding, washing, wrenching, farkeling and/or just admiring our steeds). :D
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Anderson's Carriage House Revisited 3 - Huh? What?: We were looking at a seemingly-undistinguished brass era car, shown below, and not giving it that much attention.

[​IMG]

For some reason, the old eyes happened to focus on the logo on the radiator, generating another of those happier, learning-something-new, WTF moments.

[​IMG]

Who knew? We did know ALCO was the second largest manufacturer of steam locomotives after the turn of the century. It had eight plants. I was totally unaware the company made automobiles and had no idea the ALCO auto was the Bugatti Veyron of its era.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The ALCO was a very high quality and high priced auto (i.e., $6,000 - $7,500) and generally powered with a huge engine for that time. ALCO boasted that it could take a year and seven months to build a single automobile.

[​IMG]

From around 1906 to 1913, ALCO built some 5,000 cars. Around 1913, the board of directors figured out they were losing some $460 dollars on every car sold and decided to pull the plug on the auto business, thinking that locomotives, not automobiles, were the future of transportation. It reminds me of another once - 2nd largest company of its type where the resident geniuses in charge of things decided that people didn't need or really want personal computers.
    KMichael, zookster, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Here We Go Again: Having leaned there is a company repair store in our area, I have just been persuaded to hold onto said POS, take it there and see if they can fix it. Once more into the breach, dear friends and inmates, once more.

UPDATE NOTE: I guess my warning was well-founded. The guy at the service center said they were problematic and that he had a bunch of them in with the same problem. He also said there was such a problem getting parts that they might just send a new one. My first instinct to just chuck that sucker may have been correct. We'll see.