Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Morning View: Looking out back this morning saw a dusting of snow out back with icy driveway out front.

[​IMG]

Days like this can give you a greater appreciation for being retired. The snow is pretty but not enough to warrant getting out shovel or snowblower. The bike is still with Max getting new shoes. Thankfully, there's no CNC work to do. The only major decision today will be determining whether to spend more time hanging out in front of the fire with this scenery and a new book or continue working on restoring an old pic that's taking forever. Of course both are doable; however, whatever I get into often excludes other choices.

Edit Note: I removed the leaning birdbath from the picture with Photoshop.
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 4 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Restoring A Pic That Everyone Takes. I have been working on this photo for months now, trying to restore the image from a 35 mm slide that's over 50 years old. The slide and resulting scanned image was faded, blotchy and full of those dust bugs. The image is of a scene that almost everyone photographs who visits this city. I am speaking of the Siebers Tower on Untere Schmiedgasse in Rothenburg, Germany (i.e., Rothenburg ob der Tauber). I was having an adventure just strolling down Schmiedgasse (literal translation blacksmith alley) after a rain shower, recognized the scene from books and took the following picture with my Yashica SLR.

[​IMG]

I was standing on the sidewalk at or near coordinates 49.374684, 10.180069. This is a scene that just about everyone who's spent any time in Rothenburg photographs. Below, for example is a Wikipedia photo for the town. They have spruced up the place a bit since the 60s.

[​IMG]

The thing about Rothenburg that made it an adventure for me was that the village was largely preserved as it was in medieval times, complete with the original walls surrounding the old town. Town codes were very strict then about what you could and could not do to a town structure, inside and out. Rothenburg was/is one of my all-time favorite cities to visit. Somewhere is a picture taken on the town wall. That's next to find, restore and post while the redhead is away at the spa getting a pedicure.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shooting The Shove: If you get to the Palmer diamond any weekday around 8:30 am and hang around a bit, the chances are good you'll see an NECR unit come to life and begin to shuffle freight from their siding onto the CSX siding.

[​IMG]

Most often, an NECR GP starts the day by pulling a number of cars out one of its siding and pulling it across the diamond.

[​IMG]

Once fully across, it then pushes (i.e., called the "shove") the cars onto the CSX siding.

[​IMG]

The "shove" takes cars a ways down the CSX siding where a couple of smaller CSX units work them into their consist.

[​IMG]

All-in-all, it is a very slow process. It is no wonder trucking companies are eating into railroad market share. It took the better part of 3 hours to move less than 2 dozen cars a couple of miles where they will will likely spend hours to days waiting around to get hauled somewhere else.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Love it! Judging by the pictures ... I prefer the soul of the older world.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    So do I. All the new paint makes that lovely old place look a bit like a tart of a town.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Sun On The Shove: There was a lot of pulling and shoving of cars up and down the CSX spur that morning. Here is another pic thereof.

[​IMG]

Definitely a train fix pic.
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Walking The Wall: I found the one picture I had taken while walking along the Rothenburg wall. It was reasonably easy to restore to the point shown below.

[​IMG]

Being low on both money and film, I didn't take many pictures that day. I don't remember the fellow in the pic but think he might have been one of the many artists in the city looking for a vantage point along the wall. Back then, there were no drones, Youtube videos or Google street views of a place so you had to walk it to see it. Thus, getting a more overall view of and sense for Rothenburg meant walking the town's 13th century wall. There are a number of videos of the place; however, the one below gives you an idea of what walking the wall would be like.

8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    My Favorite Shove Shot: This is the one I like. Hope you railfans do too.

[​IMG]

Am thinking it would also make a good railroad-noir pic. I will have to see how well it can translate fo BxW.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Larz Anderson Revisited 11 - Beauteous Bugatt: Designed by Ettore Bugatti's son Jean, the 1938 Bugatti Type 57C, shown below, was the zenith of his work. The model 57 was produced from 1934 to 1940, with the C variant from 1937 to 1940. Only 96 C variants were produced.

[​IMG]

The car has a twin-cam, 3,257 cc, supercharged, 8 cylinder engine producing around 215 HP. Top speed was around 100 mph. Racing versions of this model won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1937 and 1939.

[​IMG]

Jean Bugatti died in a car crash in 1939. His father, Ettore, died in 1947. The original incarnation of the Bugatti company ceased operations in 1952. As you probably know, the Bugatti marquee was purchased several times and is now owned by the VW group.
  10. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Bugatti pics and info this morning! Led me to do a little research on Bugatti cars with morning coffee. What an impressive lineup of cars,......thanks again!
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mystery At The Museum: When visiting the Anderson Auto Museum several weeks back, there was a bit of a mystery. Why was there a Checker Marathon smack dab in the middle of a Golden Age auto exhibit? There's noting golden about a Checker. You can see it below just to the right of the Ford. Thinking it was just some anomaly, I didn't give the car much thought or attention. until later.

[​IMG]

The Checker was so out of place and comparatively pedestrian that I didn't bother taking a good photo it. Well, this morning I happened across a Hemmings Motor News article that cleared everything up. So, below is my one crap photo of the car.

[​IMG]

What I learned form Hemmings was that this was 1981 Checker Marathon extended wheelbase and the car was at the museum because it is for sale (with proceeds going to the museum). Price is/was $18,000. Mystery solved.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You are most welcome. I trust you now know that the type 57 Bugatti, especially Aero/Atlantic coupes, are among the most rare and expensive old cars in existence. There's reported to be a 1936 Aero/Atlantic, chassis #57453, that has been missing since 1938 and could be worth upwards of $115 Million if found. It was either destroyed during WWiI or stashed away in some barn.

[​IMG]
    (internet photo of 1936 Bugatti Type 57 SC Coupé Atlantic)
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  13. drklynoon

drklynoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is just amazing. I have never even seen a picture of that. My goodness if there was ever a reason to get rich. WOW
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    There's more on the story of the missing Bugatti HERE that you might enjoy. It is perhaps one of the world's greater treasure hunts.

[​IMG]
    (internet image)

I am guessing a fair amount of money has already been spent looking for it.
    KMichael, JRowland, drklynoon and 2 others like this.
  15. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    I think Checkers are handsome cars. Wouldn't mind having one someday. There is one sitting in the yard next to a shop/garage in a nearby town. I will have to see if I can get a picture of it.
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; one of the four Atlantic coupes is missing but "The Guild of Automotive Restorers" in Bradford Ontario has recreated the original prototype/show car that preceded them. The Aerolithe Coupe in magnesium is quite a story. David Grainger had a Type 57 engine, chassis, rear axle and transmission with matching numbers. Google them and look in their gallery of restorations. From there is a link to a 6 minute youtube video about that creation and also "Jay Leno's Garage has an episode about the car. Happy viewing.
    KMichael, JRowland, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave, for the info. Below are some links on the Guild's Bugatti.

18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Less Rare: At the other end of the spectrum is the (much) less rare, less expensive and quite ubiquitous Model T. Some 15 million were manufactured between 1908 and 1927. My ride to the auto museum resulted in seeing this Model T. Again, unfortunately, I did not spend the time to get a good picture.

[​IMG]

I remember that the green grocer in the small town I grew up in was still driving his Model T fleet (i.e., a car and a truck) back in the 1950s. Folks, including us, would buy vegetables from his truck. He was the town's "Amazon Prime" for veggies and wouldn't drive anything else. Amazingly, I happened to find a picture of him with his truck on the internet.

[​IMG]

Those were good times. One of the chores for my first scoot was to ride to their grocery store for food staples. I will always remember he had a big jar of homemade pickled pigs feet on the counter for customers. Never did have one.
  19. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I don’t know Bugatti models but I vaguely recall Ralph Lauren winning best in show at Pebble Beach with one of them a few years ago. It was evidently also obscenely valuable.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I think you observation "obscenely valuable" is spot on and pairs well with "obscenely expensive".

[​IMG]

Personally, I think the wheels we have are just as pleasurable, if not more so, to ride/drive as what Mr. Lauen plays with. Perhaps more so since Ralph can't slog his down the roads we go on. A good back road (e.g., something named "mountain" or "river") beats Pebble Beach any day.
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 6 others like this.