Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remembering A Favorite Car: I ran across this picture among the old 35mm slides and restored it to a point. Yesterday, I worked on it to the point of being finished. At the top of my list of "all-time favorite cars I am thankful to have had and regret not keeping" is this 1968 Dodge Charger. I had traded in a 1964 Pontiac plus some cash, drove out of the showroom in Bloomington, IL, and felt like a king of the road. It was somewhat fast (440 magnum) and handled well for that time.

[​IMG]

That car sure was quite the attention getter back then with star-quality looks. With the hemi, it could smoke just about everything.
    KMichael, drklynoon, Chillis and 13 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thinking Of Spring: With the wind chill below zero this morning, our thoughts are starting to turn to spring. More specifically, we are thinking of those wonderful gravel/dirt/sand roads and wondering how much difference the new Anakee Adventure tires will make over the old anakee IIis.

[​IMG]

Given the on-road riding distance to find good gravel, an 80-20 tire should be just about right. Having put a good number of miles on the old Anakee tires that were not well suited for the stuff I was riding on, I am really looking forward to getting out in spring. This picture helps.
    KMichael, Chillis, N-Id-Jim and 7 others like this.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Give me a white 1970 Challenger (or a new white one) and I change my posting name to Kowalski.
    KMichael, drklynoon, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Give me another 68 Charger and I will make a major leap back to my 2nd childhood.
    KMichael, JRowland and jeickerman like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Haunted Hondapotamus At Hogback : The Hogback Mtn. overview is a popular stopping point for the cruiser crowd. Located on VT Route 9 (a.k.a. Molly Stark Trail) at coordinates 42.852710, -72.794126, the overview parking area along the road is often crowded on weekends. Not so much on weekdays. The last time I remember stopping there was in May of 2010 and I ran across this old pic of that event. I would normally not stop but the GL was ghost-shifting as I was coming up the hill to the lookout and I wanted to give it and me a breather. Hogback was the turning point and the beginning of the end of cruisers for me.

[​IMG]

The Wing didn't get ridden much after that day. Then, in April 2013, Kevin settled on a GSW for his next ride, which was the beginning of the end of the family's cruiser era. The picture below was taken on the day he took delivery as he was about to ride it off the lot.

[​IMG]

Kevin lent me the GS to ride on weekdays when he was at work. Not initially liking the way it handled, I managed to put a few thousand miles on it that summer and came to the conclusion that, for right or wrong, I'd never have another bike that didn't have a paralever front suspension. In the fall of that year, the Goldwing made its way to the dealer where it was traded in on a 2014 GSW. Being obliged to be truthful in such transactions, I would not have been able to sell it privately so it was traded. I did get one last picture of the overweight road sofa for posterity as it went into the dealer's inventory.

[​IMG]

By that time, Kevin had pretty much forsaken his Harley and only got it out of the barn on weekends when letting me accompany him on his GS.

[​IMG]

A month later, my 2014 GS showed up and the cruiser era was am Ende.
    KMichael, snorkie, drklynoon and 10 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Hogback Photo: This one taken in June 2008 at the noted overlook and cruiser hangout. Some tourist took the picture.

[​IMG]

I am updating some of these older photos by them a quick fixer-upper in an AI app.
    KMichael, Chillis, N-Id-Jim and 6 others like this.
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Fantastic reflections!
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Copming from you that's high praise indeed. Thank you.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Backyard Visitor: Taken this afternoon, only one showed up. We've had up to six come through.

[​IMG]

They're regular visitors.
    KMichael, drklynoon, N-Id-Jim and 9 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Restored Pic Of Popular Trail: Believe it or not, this is the start of a very popular hiking trail not far from us - one not suitable for trail riding even if it was allowed.

[​IMG]

Looking carefully, you can just make out the heads of two people starting down the trail.
    KMichael, red bud, zookster and 5 others like this.
  11. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's another one from the Hogback lookout:

IMG_0960.jpg
    KMichael, GAS GUY, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I don't think the GS has every been up to Hogback or that section of Rt. 9. Too many noisy Harleys up there so I stay down in the trees.

[​IMG]
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rehabilitating An Ailing Train Pic: I ran across this older ride pic that I don't think was previously posted due to some blurring. I fixed it u as best I could, thinking it makes an interesting train-related image.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, drklynoon, chethro and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Salvaging Another Old Roaming Around Photo: A 35 mm taken in Paris in the 1960s at Place du Tertre and converted to digital.

[​IMG]

These days, the square probably has more sidewalk tables and chairs for tourists than artists.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Little Color For A Bleak Winter Morn: With nothing but drifting snow outside this morning, I went looking for a little color to restore and found this pic from several years back. It didn't take much work (i.e. a minute or so through the AI program to fix the exposure and make color corrections). Anyway it is one of my favorites and I think it is pleasant to look at on a snow blowing morning.

[​IMG]

Edit Note: I removed some artifacts that were in front of the abandoned church.
    KMichael, Riff, red bud and 11 others like this.
  16. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ that’s a beautiful photo. I love that it’s a photograph of someone taking a photograph as well but the scene would stand alone, it’s a nice bonus though :thumb
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words and am glad you like it also. I was lucky to just be there and take the picture when another photog was doing the same.
    KMichael and JRowland like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not The Handlebars Of Choice Today: Also, yet another not-the-best day to ride with 1 ft. of snow and 2 ft. drifts in the front, back and side. Also, the other redhead hasn't returned from the spa yet.

[​IMG]
    (iPhone picture)
    KMichael, TheAdmiral, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Our Daily Visitors: They show up in the back yard almost every day now, usually passing through in groups of 2 to 6.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, Riff, TheAdmiral and 8 others like this.
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Great shot! The way those deer are exhibiting various stages of body position, within such close proximity to each other, coupled with the softly falling snow, and then the snow accumulation on their backs contrasting with their brown fur, really make this picture stand out. Nature doesn't often reward the photographer in so many ways.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, B10Dave and 2 others like this.