Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Effect Of AI On Photo Reprocessing: Below are three pics of a subject initially photographed in 2018. Immediately below is how the photo looked when processed from RAW back then.

[​IMG]

Below is how it looked on my run through an AI photo editor (e.g., Luminar AI) using a selected setting. The effort consisted of selecting a change template (i.e., Scenery) and pressing one of the presets (i.e., Clear Skies) and the work was done. You can, of course, fine tune any number of the various aspects of the image.

[​IMG]

In comparing the two, the initial photo is somewhat dingy and lifeless by comparison while the second "pops." In judging the second above, it is perhaps a little over the top in terms of what the eye might see but maybe more visually interesting without being as false looking as the HDR renderings folks used to do. The most realistic view is just about in the middle between the two views, which is shown below.

[​IMG]

My objective here is to make the ride pics as visually interesting as possible without going too far afield of what they really look like. Given that people's eyes and color perception are different, that's not an easy goal.
    zookster, B10Dave, chethro and 5 others like this.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Super (and useful) post. My eye concurs with your assessment 100%.
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you! With these eyes not getting any younger or better, I appreciate the feedback. Below is another photo from the same batch where the AI setting slightly improved (I think) but did not blow out the colors and contrasts.

[​IMG]
    zookster, MattF44, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  4. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Speaking of rusty things worthy of restoration, any updates on the Beast of Turin?
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The last i heard or saw was back in 2019 and it had been running for a while.

6. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    John, here's one I took in 2018. It is in Proctor, MN. I also have been cleaning up some old stuff; original was a jpg, used Silkypix which will adjust jpg or raw. The 225 hauled iron ore from 1941-1961.

[​IMG]

Perhaps a little garish, but I was not happy with the view of the wheels/running gear without a little 'pop'.

7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Outstanding photo! Thank you!! Wouldn't it be great if some organization restored that old girl and got her under steam.
  8. drklynoon

drklynoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad she is back home. Now get out there in this snow and play.
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes, sir! Just as soon as it gets to above 40. Got to scrub the tires before the really good weather comes.

[​IMG]
    black 8, chethro, zookster and 4 others like this.
  10. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    For all sorts of reasons I know we're cautious about endorsing products, here. But, having gone through several sets you're clearly a fan of the Anakee tires. What makes them special IHYO.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well, they've always worked for me, getting good wear and mileage. As for the Adventure model, it gets reasonable reviews and is reputed to be true 80-20 vs. the previous 90-10.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Learning Of A Loss: With all due apologies, I am really behind the times. I just learned that legendary AMA hall-of-fame member Joe Bolger died last year at age 90 after a fall at his home. Joe was one of the rare ones, a champion, motorcycle maven, a really good wrench, an inventor, toolmaker and a really nice man. Kevin and I first met Joe when he helped us find a good fishing hole. He saw us stopped looking at a map, asked if he could help and then drove us to the spot in his antique Pierce Arrow. On several other instances, I stopped by to talk to him. The last time I saw and talked to Joe was in 2013 when he had his homemade 3-wheeler out in the driveway. Shown below, it was his homespun version of the 3-wheel Morgan, with quite a few homemade parts.

[​IMG]

RIP, Joe, you were a class act who stood a little taller than the rest, IMHO.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When Thoughts Turn to Spring Roads: This is what I am thinking about, given that we're supposed to get more snow today.

[​IMG]
    BigDogRaven, GAS GUY, black 8 and 8 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some Of Better Spring & Summer Photos: Will post them as I get them upgraded.

[​IMG]

Some balm for the eyes given the current winter mix of weather and covid.
    BigDogRaven, GAS GUY, black 8 and 7 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Spring & Summer Photos: Looking forward to those backroads bridges where the planks shake and rattle when you're going over them.

[​IMG]

Locals will recognize this as the Tunnel Road bridge at coordinates 42.666031, -72.986811.
    BigDogRaven, B10Dave, GAS GUY and 8 others like this.
  16. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I live in a 55+ building. I just made the age cut when I bought. At 61 I seem to be about 20 years younger than most. There’s a lot of puzzle building going on in the main social area. While not for me, I noticed that a great many of your shots would make dandy puzzles.

Edit: While I would never hijack your photos, I suggest there's a money making opportunity here for you. From my career in advertising, I know a company who makes puzzles from photos.
    B10Dave, popscycle and KMichael like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I greatly appreciate the thought and input @RedDogAlberta! I have been wondering about ways to get a little return out of my photos (want to buy a camera drone). Will send a PM later today.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Spring & Summer Photo: I like the sight and sound of waterwheels.

[​IMG]
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    What was made there?
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The mill uses two separate grinding-stones to produce cornmeal and wheat flour used across the road in the Wayside Inn’s baked goods. At one time it also ground flour for King Arthur Baking Co. up in VT.
    JRowland, KMichael and zookster like this.