Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Winter Train Fix Pics: MBTA commuters coming out of Boston.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden by this a dozen times. For some reason, I've never stopped. Too much momentum after the climb out of North Adams?
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The last time I went thru there was in June of last year and the old Wigwam gift shop that had been closed for years had been spruced up into something a little more "uppity."

[​IMG]

More often than not, I would ride on by, heading east to Whitcomb Hill Road and follow it down to the Deerfield and tunnel.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Pan Am Sale Moving Forward: The sale of Pan Am Railways (PA) to CSX is advancing forward to the STB (Surface Transportation Board) for review.

[​IMG]

The main sticky point to the sale was Norfolk Southern's (NS) objection. NS and PA had a joint venture named Pan Am Southern (PAS), which owned trackage from Mechanicsville NY to Ayer, MA, where the above photo was taken. That issue appears to be settled, as reported in Railway Age:

CSX and NS have now reached an agreement: Both Class I railroads will retain ownership of PAS. Genesee & Wyoming (G&W) subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad, LLC, which will do business as Berkshire & Eastern Railroad (BERK), will operate and maintain PAS, formerly run by PAR subsidiary Springfield Terminal Railway.

I have no idea what this will do to our train chasing and watching activities. It seems likely that two things will disappear. One will be the remaining GPs and the other Pan Am's livery. Given how Pan Am wasn't that well thought of, the chances of a heritage unit seem slim.
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Former Pan Am Heritage Unit: Below is a 1957 EMD G9 in Boston and Maine livery.

[​IMG]

It went to the Heber Valley RR in Utah around the time Pan Am was formulating plans to go up for sale.
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Today's Flora and Fauna: Still to cold and windy for these old bones to ride so we watch the critters out back. Didn't see many today.

[​IMG]
  7. drklynoon

drklynoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seeing all those pictures of the diners got me reminiscing. Down here all there are is waffle houses. I sure do miss my home town diner.
    KMichael, popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; if you don't count the birds and squirrels at their respective feeders on my back deck; the only wildlife around my neighbourhood today were those well known harbingers of spring.......
    lights 003.jpg

lights 006.jpg

Tundra swan migration is on. Mother Nature is telling us that indeed spring is on the way.
    klaviator, black 8, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Nice! Am thinking the two swans by us are tundra, rather than trumpeter, swans but am no expert.

[​IMG]

We see these two hang out in the neighborhood stream and pond all year long. Am wondering if some are too lazy/settled/comfortable to migrate.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    March Ride Pics Of Yore: Back when Kevin had time to ride on weekends and March weather wasn't so cold, I took this picture on some covered bridge. Don't think this photo has been posted before but am not sure.

[​IMG]
  11. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like it should be a BMW brochure!
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dead Buildings On A Dying Railroad Spur: Another view/pic of collapsing freight station along what is now Central Mass Railroad tracks.

[​IMG]

The structures, which were at coordinates 42.348268, -72.150539, eventually collapsed. Only some of the foundation remains.
    klaviator, black 8, JRowland and 8 others like this.
  13. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swans can be huge birds. I canoe fish and wasn't paying attention to my surroundings when I drifted near a couple in the water next to me. Their necks were larger than my arms and they were about 2' taller than me while seated in the canoe. It was a sit on the bottom style canoe, but needless to say I slowly put some distance between us..as fast as I dared! :D
    klaviator, JRowland, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A canoe is the only thing I have ever fished from and I used to own two - one longer one for when two of us went out and a lighter, single person canoe. Also had an aluminum Grumman flatback at one time. Every once in a while, I get the urge when riding by a place like this:

[​IMG]

The urge to fish usually passes quickly when I think of all the work involved with the canoes (i.e., take it off hanger pulley in garage, mount on top of car, tie down, load poles, marine battery, trolling motor, cooler, food, drinks, etc.) and then drive to fishing spot to unload. I sold them both.

Riding is more fun and less hassle but look out for the nasty geese. There exist kamikaze geese, one of whom tried to take out my Miata and another that targeted my bike.
    klaviator, JRowland, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  15. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only go out a few times a year now with my son. He uses his Kayak. My canoe is a CF/Kevlar Placid Boatworks Rapidfire. It only weighs 30lbs, so easy to lift up in the garage to its storage location. I do plan to do more fishing when I retire. I love to paddle. We have several 10hp limited lakes close and easy launch areas, so for me it's not bad.

I agree riding is easier and more fun, but the peaceful times on the water...then hooking a big cat are fun too! :D

rf.jpg
    klaviator, JRowland, KMichael and 8 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Great pic! A rig like that could make a man change his mind. Thanks for posting it.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Slippery Roads Make For Careful Cornering: With me having gotten a little sideways on the last corner, Kevin took the careful approach on the next.

[​IMG]

It was one of those icy-road situations where, when the urge to ride was great, you couldn't decide if you were having fun or being a stupid.
    klaviator, The Opa, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Winter Scene: Given that it's below freezing and breezy again this morning, I posted up a winter picture of a time when it wasn't.

[​IMG]

It makes for good pictures and brisk, if not great, riding.
    klaviator, The Opa, pcarreiro and 7 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dreams Of Spring & Summer Revived: With the latest meteorological prognostications predicting 60 degree weather next week, I had to pull up pis of places I wanted to ride to when things turn a little green. Below is a favorite - some really nice VT gravel.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, black 8, The Opa and 7 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Composed Picture: I thought this composed photo might be interesting.

[​IMG]

I created the sky image.
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 4 others like this.