Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Several More Shots: Pictures taken on the snotty road mentioned last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, chethro, zookster and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sky Blue Waters: A nice scene, taken last Saturday, that reminded me of the old Hamm's beer commercials.

[​IMG]
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Grout: Below is pic of a very rare car - a 1904 Grout stored in the carriage house behind an old manse.

[​IMG]

I fixed up this pic to post on another forum and thought it was worth another look here for y'all who may not have seen it.
    klaviator, chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Old Structure: I happened by this old place sometime back. The design suggests it may be a 1600s-era domicile that was converted into a barn and shed at some time.

[​IMG]

Photo was run through AI and the totally-faded sky brought out. The structure is located at coordinates 42.668009, -72.725219.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Adventures In Train Chasing: Back when my camera was small and slow, I was unable to time my shot all that well with the commuter train going full bore towards Boston. Thus, I got less of the train, which was past before the camera was ready again.

[​IMG]

My current camera can take action pictures like a machine gun (or a movie if you wish - I don't), catching everything as it goes by.
    klaviator, chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Adventures In Train Chasing: It gets easier when they're not moving.

[​IMG]

I like the perspective of this picture, coupled with the presence of old GP power (that is now now gone).
    klaviator, chethro, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yet More Adventure Chasing Trains: There's bound to be more action when two different lines shunt cars back and forth. Such is the case with NECR (shown) and CSX.

[​IMG]

I thought this made a good pictures with the speed sign.
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 4 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Lousy Bike At Station Pic Fixed: The photo was all wrong. The sky was overexposed and the station side too underexposed with the whole picture being a little dingy. Fixed it to some extent so that it is worthy.

[​IMG]

The station is located at coordinates 42.229744, -72.145069.
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 5 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Picturesque Bridge: This photo was cleaned up several days ago for posting on another forum. It's of the old trolley bridge in Shelburne Falls at coordinates 42.604114, -72.740446.

[​IMG]

The picture was taken on on of those rare riding days when the weather was very good and there was no wind whatsoever.
    black 8, klaviator, pcarreiro and 7 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Livery Lost: We're at a time when some smaller railroads are being gobbled up by larger ones, at least in my area. Both P&W and NECR are now subs of G&W and the old livery fades away. Below is NECR's more colorful power before the do-over. I've no photos yet of the new look.

[​IMG]

I gave the original photo an AI do-over, since it came from the older, more lame camera that had trouble with conflicting light exposures.
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Good Riding Weather Today: Temps in the 50s under clear skies with little wind. The pond tells the story.

[​IMG]

The shot was taken at or about coordinates 42.308087, -71.998410.
    black 8, klaviator, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We Need More Rain: Crossing over the Ware River this afternoon, I stopped to look at the water levels. They seem a bit low considering the time of year. Hopefully, the idea of "April showers" plays out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Really Nice View: After running through AI to remove some haze, the pic from up the hill says it all.

[​IMG]

Taken in Sept. past.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Perfect Road? About as close as you can get around here.

[​IMG]
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Nothing Fancy, Just Some Road Pics: Some miscellaneous road photos taken over the last several days.

[​IMG]

The sheer joy of getting out and riding kept me from stopping to take more photos. I did get off to stretch once, though.

[​IMG]

It was a day for coming into little villages.

[​IMG]

Add some small towns to the mix.

[​IMG]

And then throw in a little gravel for variety.

[​IMG]

And you've spent your afternoon quite well.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Pass On It Or Post It: In the more recent but distant past, we were more interested in looking at the bike, riding the bike, farkeling the bike, chattering about the bike and taking pictures of the bike. As a result, we had a cheaper camera and took a good number of less-than-stellar pictures, often with the bike in them. Below is one of these old pictures.

[​IMG]

Back then, I was quite happy with the above inage. Having moved on from bike blather to picturing what's seen, the image has become sub-par and I've gotten deeper into photo improvement. The immediate problem above is the camera's inability to handle the variations in exposure. Areas in the shade are too dark, the sky is totally washed out and sunlit areas are overexposed. In short, it is a fixer upper, which is what I did.

[​IMG]

So, what was done? First were subtle adjustments to contrast and exposure areas. Since the original was now a RAW file, there wasn't enough info to bring out the sky so I replaced it, knowing the sky that day was originally bright blue with clouds.. Finally, I eliminated the two lens flare spots as best I could. It is now a more appealing picture and quite reasonably accurate with what was there. As a matter or practice, I let it be known when I bring out or replace the sky. Other than that, I only adjust what was already there in the image data.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Good Road: The chances are better than average that any road named Mountain Road will be better than average. There's one I take when anywhere near that's no exception, named South Mountain Road.

[​IMG]

Traveling from east to west, the road starts at coordinates 42.637923, -72.406128 and ends at coordinates 42.657990, -72.461480.
    black 8, klaviator, chethro and 4 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another View Of S. Mountain Road: Closer to the bottom, near Rt. 63.

[​IMG]
    black 8, klaviator, dano619 and 6 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Favorite Bike On The Bridge Shot: Picture cleaned up. Nothing changed. Shows the Ashuelot Covered Bridge in Winchester NH at coordinates 42.777358, -72.423397.

[​IMG]
    black 8, klaviator, KMichael and 7 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hazardous Area: That's what the sign said but we rode in and around anyway. I took a number of pics of the area but this one stood out. Thus, it's the one I fixed up for posterity. Unfortunately it was taken with the old camera, which had no RAW capability, making it more difficult to bring out the true color and depth of the image.

[​IMG]

The photo was taken at or about coordinates 42.788612, -72.442653.