Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Were one or two companies commissioned to build all these bridges at the time? Or, were they community projects?
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Taftsville covered bridge was built by a distinguished local by the name of Solomon Emmons in 1836. I've no information on the Quechee bridge's history and don't know who rebuilt it. Below is the Lincoln bridge, for which I also have no historical information at this time.

[​IMG]

This bridge is located at coordinates 43.600804, -72.568857.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    About The Lincoln Covered Bridge: The bridge shown above was built in 1877 by R.W. Pinney and B.H. Pinney, about thirty years after the Pratt truss was patented. According to covered bridge history Richard S. Allen, it is the only known surviving use of the Pratt truss in wood; this form is seen much more widely in metal bridges built later. Below is the structure.

[​IMG]
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ottauquechee Revisited At Quechee: Below is the Quechee covered bridge that was also rebuilt after Hurricane Irene. Located at coordinates 43.645626, -72.418927, is the third of the four covered bridges along Rt.4.

[​IMG]

Of interest here is the Simon Pearce glass factory and restaurant just over the bridge north. It's worth a stop.
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that just a barn built on a concrete bridge?
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Pretty much. It does look somewhat like the old one destroyed by Irene but as covered bridges go, this one's not much to look at. The scenery, however, is decent.

[​IMG]

Pic taken from the Simon Pearce glassworks.
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 9 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ottauquechee Revisited At Simon Pearce: Another interesting place along the Ottauquechee River is the Simon Pearce glassworks, located at corrdinates 43.64608, -72.41947. Below are several pics, not previously posted AFAIK, that were taken downstairs in the glassblowing area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The restaurant upstairs was also worth the visit. The Irish Stew was very tasty the last time there.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    April Milling Around:

[​IMG]
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nicely Converted Old Mill: Made into apartments.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Maple Road: One of a number of photos taken back when there was still snow in April and trees were tapped for sap.

[​IMG]
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Spring Water: April is when the water starts to flow following the ice and snow melt and showers come.

[​IMG]
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Shot In The Wild: With the onset of spring and looking forward to some green, we pulled this image out of the unused (we think) archives to assuage the brain. The redhead was in its natural element - off road, on dirt and gravel (not too technical for an old goat) and following a stream.

[​IMG]
  13. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    What's the latest update on the soft luggage? You switching over this season?
    popscycle likes this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not yet - have other priorities. Am saving shekels to get a Skydio drone to get elevated pics and, perhaps, some videos. Am thinking I am less likely to run into things with the Skydio, given its more advanced avoidance technology.
    klaviator, KMichael and JRowland like this.
  15. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying all these great pics and history.
    The menu from that diner was incredible!
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We appreciate knowing you're enjoying the pics. Thanks!
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    April Outings: Some years back I stopped to check out this old rail bridge, located at coordinates 42.209237, -71.417511, and took this picture. Called the Bogastow Brook Viaduct, it was built in 1847 so the Boston & Albany line could span the brook lowland area. Now part of a rail trail, they've since put up side rails on the bridge.

[​IMG]

Farther down the road west was a pair of boulders known as 'balancing rock". Shown below, legend has it that when George Washington passed by there in 1789, he tried to tip over the balancing rock but couldn't.

[​IMG]

Sometime last year it was found tipped over after hundreds of years. If I had to bet, I'd say some kid or group of kids took a hydraulic jack to it. Located at coordinates 42.170007, -71.474996, I wonder if the town will try to put it back.
    pcarreiro, klaviator, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    April Ice: Looking through the archives, I am reminded that ice and snow can persist into mid April.

[​IMG]

The other morning it was 27° F when I left the house. I took the car. This morning, it was right at freezing when I got up.
    klaviator, B10Dave, zookster and 3 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Pan Am Southern Affair: With the onset of train chasing months, there's the question of CSX's intent to purchase Pan Am Railways (PAR). With Pan Am being the only railfan game in the northern part of the state, the sticky point of the whole deal is Pan Am's affair with Norfolk Southern (NS). That affair is called Pan Am Southern (PAS)

[​IMG]

PAS is technically a freight railroad jointly owned by PAR and NS, which was a deal made in 2009. Once PAR was put up for sale, the question arose as to what would become of PAS. NS power operating under the PAS umbrella could regularly be seen in PAR's deerfield yard, shown below. Note PAR's FP9 in the background.

[​IMG]

When CSX agreed to purchas PAR, NS objected on the grounds that CSX would have a MA monopoly. The two parties reached a tentative agreement. NS had sought a neutral operator for PAS and agreed to having G&W operate PAS under its Pittsburg & Shawmut subsidiary, which will do business as Berkshire & Southern (BS). The whole shebang will be jointly owned by CSX and NS. The selection of G&W as an intermediary was advantageous to NS because GW now owns the Providence and Worcester RR. Throwing GW-PW into the mix gave NS some additional trackage rights.

[​IMG]

As of last report, NS now supports the purchase transaction and will fund the required clearance work between Worcester and Ayer and will rehabilitate its former Delaware & Hudson route between Delanson, NY, and Vorheesville, where it will restore a connection to the CSX main line. I think the only remaining issues before the Surface Transportation Board (TSB) is an objection lodged by Vermont Rail System (VRS), shown below.

[​IMG]

VRS notes that if the deal were to go through, five of VRS’ seven interchange points would be controlled by the G&W. A major point of the contention is the New England Central’s Conn River Line between East Northfield, Mass., and White River Junction, Vt., which is used by both NECR and PAS. If PAS were to become part of G&W, suddenly one carrier would control the Conn River Line, thus “eliminating independent rail service” along the corridor. I am guessing some deal will be made with VRS for track rights.
    velofish, klaviator, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Green Mountain Musings: Another aspect of train chasing and watching is combining such railfan activity with riding in VT. The Green Mountain Railroad (GMR), which is owned by the Vermont Rail System, pairs nicely with riding in VT when you can find one of their trains actually running.

[​IMG]

The GMR was owned by railfan Nelson Blount who, before he died in a plane crash, started Steamtown in Bellows Falls. The less-than-bright folks in that VT town couldn't see the value in an active steam engine museum and it all went to Scranton where it survives under the auspices of the National Park Service. This left GMR with not much to look at other than a short excursion. Now if only VRS could squeeze something out of CSX, GW and NS to get PAR's old F9s running excursions around that neck of the woods. I am guessing GMR isn't much of a money maker in its current configuration.
    klaviator, dano619, JRowland and 3 others like this.