Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chasing Trains In Vermont: The previous post reminded me that I actually caught a VRS train moving once.

[​IMG]

Edit Note: I had to work on this pic a good bit. The original was dim, dingy and the sky was washed out. I hope those of you who like train pics find it acceptable.
    klaviator, B10Dave, chethro and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mayflower In April: It was on a nice April day some years back that we got this picture of the Mayflower II in the Mystic shipyard for repairs. I thought it would make an interesting Easter day picture.

[​IMG]
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Intricacies Of A Railroad Affair: As previously mentioned, Pan Am Railroad (PAR) and Norfolk Southern (NS) had a joint venture called Pan Am Southern (PAS) that owned trackage between Mechanicville, NY, and Ayer, MA. CSX's intentions to buy PAR will maintain the joint venture with NS by creating the Berkshire Southern (BS) Railroad to replace PAS. To assuage NS fears of a CSX monopoly in MA, the new BS venture will be run by Genesee & Wyoming (GW).

With all of this in mind, we regress to NH/VT ride over 5 years ago where we came upon this 1950 Alco S4 up in West Labanon, NH.

[​IMG]

So how is this old yard bird related to the sale of Pan Am to CSX? A bit of history: The Concord and Claremont Railroad was first established in 1848. In 1853, it went bankrupt and merged with the New Hampshire Central Railroad, forming what was known as the Merrimac and Connecticut Rivers Railroad Company. In 1874, the Sugar River Railroad, which built and ran their rail line from Newport to Claremont merged with the Contoocook Valley Railroad and recreated the Concord and Claremont Railroad, under the control of the Northern Railroad. In 1887, the Boston and Maine Railroad absorbed the Concord and Claremont, and the line was now known as the Claremont branch of the Boston & Maine. Boston and Maine was a sick and dying company when it was absorbed by Guilford Transportation in 1933. Guilford became Pan Am in 2006.

[​IMG]

The Claremont and Concord Railroad (note the city names reversal) , whose power is pictured above, was established in 1954 when a shortline railroad operator purchased 55 miles of track between Claremont Junction and Concord from the Boston and Maine Railroad. A succession of abandonments between 1961 and 1977 cut the line back to just four miles between Claremont and Claremont Junction. In 1988, the line was sold to a local lumber dealer that renamed the operation Claremont-Concord Railroad. In 2015 the railroad was acquired by GW, who merged it into the New England Central (NECR) it purchased. With GW poised to manage the new CSX-NS joint venture Berkshire Southern, which would replace Pan Am Southern, the link to Clarement Concord is established.

The last time I looked at the sat view, that Alco was sitting at coordinates 43.647058, -72.311893, which is where I photographed it.
    klaviator, B10Dave, chethro and 4 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An April Lake View: Just a pleasant, woodland picture.

[​IMG]

It won't be too long now. Trees are just starting to bud
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Panzer In The Hanger: That would be a Jagdpanzer 38 that someone left their bottle of spray cleaner on. You may remember that the Jagdpanzer 38 was a German light tank destroyer produced in the later years of WWII.

[​IMG]

This was a dingy (poor exposure), older pic from the archives that I cleaned up.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Auto Addenda & Errata: An April pic of what I think is a 1964 Studebaker Hawk.

[​IMG]

This was the 3rd in a series of pics I took of this car, which was one I always liked. The image was brightened up somewhat with some exposure glare removed.
    Essbee, klaviator, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  7. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The passenger looks a little nervous!
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I think it was the passenger that got my attention in the first place. Otherwise, I might have just walked on by and not taken a photo.
    KMichael and JRowland like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Industrial Sunset: An April sun setting on an old mill race in CT, perhaps an allegory on industrial America.

[​IMG]
    black 8, chethro, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mystic Green In April: Looking toward the Chas. Morgan at the dock.

[​IMG]
    chethro, klaviator, KMichael and 8 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Texan: A nice shot of an AT6 Texan - a WWII era trainer.

[​IMG]
    MattF44, B10Dave, chethro and 7 others like this.
  12. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quite a beautiful one at that!
    chethro, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I appreciate you letting me know. Below is another pic taken on that same ride.

[​IMG]

I've no idea what that thing is or exactly what it's for.
    black 8, B10Dave, chethro and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ski Season Finished: I rode by the local ski mountain this afternoon.

[​IMG]

I hopped across the road, reached up and grabbed this pic of the lake and the mountain.

[​IMG]

The barren patches on the slopes were obvious. Riding up to the resort confirmed it. There were no cars in the main lot.

[​IMG]

This is a sure sign of impending spring weather.
    B10Dave, chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Robert Had A Nice Backyard: I fixed up this ride photo of yore for another forum. It shows the back yard of Robert Lincoln's family home, Hildene, which is located at coordinates 43.14101, -73.081003.

[​IMG]

As you may know, Robert was Abraham Lincoln's son, who was successful in his own right. Robert became president of the Pullman Company and moved the firm into the ranks of one of the world's most successful and lucrative companies. He had previously served as an Army captain, Minister (Ambassador) to Great Britain and Secretary of War.
    black 8, KMichael, MattF44 and 10 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nice Old House: Taken on yesterday afternoon's ride, I am thinking this lovely old colonial dates back to the 1700s.

[​IMG]

This was the first bit of spring color I've seen thus far this year. If you're interested, this house can be seen on the map/sat at coordinates 42.454878, -71.870736.
    black 8, KMichael, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Beaver Swamp: Taken the other day, I liked this pic so much I put an external copyright on it.

[​IMG]
    black 8, KMichael, MattF44 and 10 others like this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keeping up this backyard looks like a lot of work. No time to ride motorcycles. :D
    KMichael, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We do like our back yard better.

[​IMG]

Mother Nature does all the work so we can ride.
    KMichael, B10Dave, klaviator and 7 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Several Ride Pics Of Late: Below are two road shots taken over the past few days.

[​IMG]

Scenery isn't all that good yet, which doesn't warrant a lot of pictures, but just getting out on the bike is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    black 8, KMichael, pcarreiro and 8 others like this.