Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 4: If you can ride it, fly it, shoot it or drive it; the museum and hanger's the place to go.

[​IMG]
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 5: Not a big gun but was used to train those who carried them to the sky. Also, an interesting artifact.

[​IMG]

Note: I have no affiliation with the Collings Foundation or American Heritage Museum .

Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 6: Hitler had Otto Skorzeny using one of these to rescue Musolinni.

[​IMG]

Note: I have no affiliation with the Collings Foundation or American Heritage Museum .
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 7: Most of this stuff has been moved from the hanger to the big new museum building.

[​IMG]

zookster, klaviator, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 8: This WWII carrier plane had been moved to the big museum building the last time I was there.

[​IMG]

6. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I went there specifically to see the Big Boy a couple of years ago.
    I was heartbroken to see the condition it was in.
    I was hoping they'd have it restored and back on display by now.
    JRowland and popscycle like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The last report I saw said it was close to being done. I am guessing you are closer to Scranton than I am up in central MA.
    JRowland and KMichael like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 9: This WWII carrier plane was responsible for sending some really big guns to the bottom of the ocean.

[​IMG]

9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 10: Not the biggest gun but perhaps a more interesting picture - a small gun platform and a bipe in the sky. What's not to like?

[​IMG]

10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 11: Shades of Sky King, it's the Bamboo Bomber - the tool of bomber pilot trainees

[​IMG]

11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 12: Two ladies, outstanding in their field, waiting for the big guns to roll out.

[​IMG]

Note the bipe coming in low over the trees. It is hard to mistake the sound of that radial.

zookster, klaviator, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out The Big Guns 13: After all the walking around, chatting, looking, wondering, questioning, etc., they brought out a big gun - a German 88.

[​IMG]

What Is All This Big Gun Crap?

Simply put, the Collings Foundation is having a big event May 15 and 16 with tank demonstrations, rides and drives. Also, all three museums will be open - the main AHM museum, the hanger and the car museum. The entrance to the (Collings Foundation's) American Heritage Museum is at coordinates 42.391485, -71.504844.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Pleasant Water Scene: Reservoir at sunset with nice (enhanced) cloud structure/layering.

[​IMG]

I'm too lazy to get up early enough to try to capture and then enhance a sunrise and the sun angle's a bit of a problem.
    zookster, klaviator, The Opa and 5 others like this.
  14. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Such a great museum. Really an incredible place.
    JRowland likes this.
  15. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While waiting for Amtrak in Birmingham, this six engine train stopped to wait on an on coming train. A lot of movement around here. Hope things pick up for you.
    IMG_2174.jpg
    zookster, klaviator, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Agreed. It's good that the Collings foundation worked to preserve all these artifacts instead of having them recycled into something else. Their aviation program had some major issues though and I think the days of getting rides at the strip behind the hanger like you did are over.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Great find and shot! Just the very thing those of us who can't find trains need right now. Being in a state where we'd be excited to see one engine, who knows what seeing six would do. Thanks for thinking of us poor souls and taking the time to post your pic.
    KMichael, JRowland and B10Dave like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Anatomy Of A Bridge: If you want a good look at the underside anatomy of this bridge, the end of April or early May is the time. After that, excessive foliage pretty well blocks your view across the span.

[​IMG]

Above is the underside of the French King bridge, which can be reached on Dorsey Road at coordinates 42.597250, -72.495934.
    B10Dave, zookster, chethro and 5 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shit Happens: About mid-morning today, I got myself moving and went to move the bike out. It would barely turn over but it did catch. Put the charger on it, which indicated it wasn't taking much of a charge - classic symptoms of a dead or week cell. Called Keviin to see if I could borrow his battery. He said yes and the battle began to swap batteries and get his stuffed in.

[​IMG]

The problem is that it wasn't properly wired. There are additional leads that should be on a power distribution block instead of the battery terminals. I had asked the wrench to do that on the last battery swap (same problem of a dead or weak cell some 3 or 4 years ago), but he didn't. Not wanting to wait, I got it all back together in time for an afternoon ride that turned into a serendipitous event. More on that to follow.
    B10Dave, zookster, chethro and 3 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nice Spring Afternoon: I took this pic as I headed out for an afternoon ride following a battery swap. Primarily taken for another (non-motorcycle) site, I posted it here so you can see how well things are blooming and greening up.

[​IMG]

I didn't know where I would go but good fortune and luck intervened later that made everything clear.
    B10Dave, zookster, chethro and 5 others like this.