Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Part Of the Scene Looks Like a Stage Backdrop: Below is another photo I messed with a lot. I didn't change anything, only adjusted various contrast ranges. The problem was the water, land and sky past the iron railing. It looked like the painted backdrop on movie set or stage play. Tired of working with it, I quit and here it is.

[​IMG]

See what I mean?
    klaviator, franken, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Nature Of A Good Riding Destination: There are some places that have all the elements of a top notch riding destination. Of course, "top notch" means different things to different people. One of my favorite destinations checks a lot of my boxes - a river, an old bridge or two, falls, an old mill, interesting old houses and buildings, shops, places to eat, etc.

[​IMG]

There are a lot of things to see and photograph and I have gotten to all of them yet. The place is Shelburne Falls, MA. The spot above is at coordinates 42.603501, -72.741307. It's up near the top on the redhead's dance card.
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Lake Shore Limited: A decent shot of the Boston to Chicago Lake Shore Limited, as it comes speeding through our local commuter station. The train does not stop here but heads on towards its first stop in Worcester.

[​IMG]
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nice Day, But . . . . : When I went out to get the Redhead up, the light of morning had all the earmarks of being a great riding day.

[​IMG]

As I was looking at this from the front porch, thoughts of motorcycle nirvana were interrupted by other things needing attention and the next thing I knew, it was lunch time, followed by cooler, windier, cloudier weather and other things needing attention. The good news in this is that I found a new (to me) hot dog place that puts out a great chili dog. That will be the subject of a later post when I take some pictures.
    klaviator, zookster, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Bit Of Suburbex: In this case the prefix "sub" means below the level (of being real urban exploration). I explored the area around, but not in, this old, coal-fired power plant.

[​IMG]

The old power plant is larger than it looks in the photo above, due to distance and lens compression. I've looked inside and there's nothing there except some random junk, graffiti and lots of empty space. However, should you be interested, some intrepid urban explorer made the following video.

This area is supposedly a National Historic site. Also a WPI student did THIS STUDY on renovating the old mill on this property as his engineering thesis.
    zookster, Chethro, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Battling Baffling Battery Bugs: I did a stupid thing - forgot to turn the key off when the act of getting/turning off was interrupted by something. Well, you know what that resulted in - just enough juice to barely turn the engine over. When it wouldn't take a charge, I borrowed the battery from Kevin's GS, with his permission. It worked fine, firing up right away after sitting for years on a Battery Tender. On a whim, I put a charger on the drained battery and it acted like it couldn't/wouldn't take a charge. Tried a different charger just for kicks and, ooops, the once-nearly-dead batter took and held a charge. Well, that led to a flurry of activity trying different chargers on each battery. In the end, it was a wash once both batteries reached a certain level of charge. At that point I knew what the culprit had to be.

[​IMG]

I had checked the fuse in the Battery Tender ring terminal cable and it looked OK so I didn't do a continuity check (didn't want to hunt and dig out old VOM). Again, just for kicks, I replaced the fuse and, you know it, the cable worked. Well the redhead's battery is back in, working and taking a charge. Tomorrow or Monday, I will put Kevin's battery back in his GS.
  7. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Right time right place. Nice.
    JRowland likes this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    LOL, I was at the right place at the right time by waiting around for nearly an hour for that late Amtrak. I think I am losing the patience to do that as I get older.
    KMichael, JRowland and B10Dave like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When The Redhead Was New: I ran across this once-dim photo, taken the first summer I had the GS. The bike had no dirt, no scratches, no stickers and the back pack was still black.

[​IMG]

I was riding around on the roads and sidewalks of New England College looking for the school's covered bridge.
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  10. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Nothing positive happening with this old mill, but there are BIG plans for the one just up the road, near the pizza shop. Pretty exciting for those of us that want to see them used and preserved.
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I trust you're referring to this one:

[​IMG]

Pic taken back in late 2013 when the Miata was the only good set of wheels I had (Road sofa had been sold, GS was still in Germany and the family Accura was a poorly assembled crap car).
    klaviator, B10Dave, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  12. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    trusses gville mill.jpg
    That's the one. It's already been purchased and I was able to secure a tour of it last week. It has amazing potential. That little fence and elevated connector behind it will be gone.
    EDIT: I added a picture of the trusses in one part of the mill. Picture all that sandblasted to expose the wood and brick, then varnished. Unbelievably that's the only photo I took.
    klaviator, B10Dave, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Great pic and yes, it has some serious potential. There is some serious, old-school, structural engineering in that place. I know I have more pictures of the outside in the file somewhere. Will have to find and post so others can get a renewed look at the place. I am ecstatic that the mill structure is going to live again.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Show Your Bike At A Train Station, er, Junkyard: Below is the unfortunate old train station at Littleton, MA.

[​IMG]

Up close:

[​IMG]

The old station is located at coordinates 42.537907, -71.512193.
  15. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Do I see a caboose in the background of the first picture? With the second picture, if you'd gotten any closer a post ride tetanus shot may have been necessary. Yikes.
    JRowland and popscycle like this.
  16. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  18. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a crying shame...
    badboy2000, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is disgusting. When you get up close, the clutter scattered around is, as @KMichael suggested, potentially hazardous, especially to kids who might happen by.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shrewsbury Common: While motoring north yesterday, I passed through the center of Shrewsbury, MA, and stopped to get several pics of the town common.

[​IMG]

The road, Rt. 140, has heavy traffic so I pulled off into the library packing lot to take pics. Traffic noise was competing with the outdoor service being held on the coomon.

[​IMG]

Pictures were taken at coordinates 42.297319, -71.713445.
    The Opa, klaviator, pcarreiro and 6 others like this.