Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yet More Milling Around: Pictures that were taken on the north and south sides of the old mill. The first below is on the north side.

[​IMG]

Shot below taken on the south side, near the river.

[​IMG]

In the picture above, the bike is sitting where another large structure used to be. That structure is shown below as the left-most long structure near the river. All of the buildings on the edge of the river are gone, as is the dam.

[​IMG]
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Good, The Bad and the Probably Ugly: The day started of great. Great breakfast, great weather and a great venue - the tank demo at the Collings Foundation. Scheduled to open at 10, I got there about 9:55 and the place was already 1/3 full of cars. I got the camera and headed, for the hanger and got some good shots. This was good. I left the hanger and walked to where they were running tanks around. I took the the shot below and . . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . after taking the picture above, my good camera shit the bed. Several attempts to do a hard reset were to no avail and I forgot to bring the backup, an older RX10. Bad! The closest camera shop that handled repairs for this brand was in towards Boston so I drove there after lunch. The folks at the store were helpful, but the camera wasn't and went totally insane. They had to send it in. Bad. Now left with only the old RX10, there was no backup. Bad. As much photography as I do, my old pocket camera no longer worked so I bought a good pocket camera. The price? Bad! Cost of fixing the good camera? Unknown yet, but I assume it will probably be bad or ugly. Only the weather was good.
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    In The Hanger: My attempt at attending the Collings Foundation's Tank Demo Day got as far as the hanger, after which the camera crapped out (forgot to bring backup). I did, however, managed to get pics from a walk through the hanger. This is the first of these, looking from the balcony where you walk in.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  4. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Well that truly sucks........
    JRowland, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    New Backup Camera: Seems to take good pictures right out of the box. Posted as shot with no AI, no filters, no photoshop adjustments, no nothing.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  6. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    :thumb
    JRowland and popscycle like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It does but it was my own stupid fault. I should have taken my older, backup RX10 knowing that these cameras can sometimes crap the bed, as it did once before (but was resetable).
    klaviator likes this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    In The Hanger 2: Due to camera problems, my visit to Collings Foundation's Tank Demo Day got only as far as the hanger, where I got a few pics. The one below is a U.S. made, 1909 Bleriot XI, which had a top speed of around 47 mph and flew in the early 1900s. Engine and fabric have been updated since then.

[​IMG]
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Near The End Of Milling Around: Two more pictures taken on the south sides of the old mill.

[​IMG]

Standing back and looking east.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 7 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Blah to Blimey: I dislike throwing away pictures, even bad ones. There was this one pond scene taken last week that was pure "blah". The sky and water were over-exposed and the greenery was rather dark and lifeless. I am wondering if the image was the result of a sick camera, given how the RX10-iv crapped out on me yesterday. Anyway, I messed with the pic for a good while trying to put some life back in it. The result is not what I saw but it is no longer "blah." The objective was to move the image from a cloudy, dull scene to more of a dramatic dusk scene.

[​IMG]

Every now and then, we like to take an ordinary, "blah" photo and turn it into something the eyes might enjoy. Silk purse out of a sow's ear and all that.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Milling Around . . . For Rainbows? I was off the bike, walking around and taking pictures of the old mill. I heard a car drive up.

[​IMG]

A gentleman in a nice X3 pulled up, got out and grabbed his fly rod.

[​IMG]

He said he was fishing for Rainbow Trout and set about selecting a fly to use. The river looks good just a little ways downstream from the mill.

[​IMG]

The river is also supposed to have largemouth bass and yellow perch. I am guessing it isn't the easiest river to fish if you don't know where the holes are.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Comparison Of Old and New: I rode up to the Trappist Monastery today with both the old RX10-i (1915) and the new RX100-vii. Lots of pics were taken with both cameras but I did the following test on a specific scene. Both cameras had the mode dial set to SCN (scene) with JPEG output. Below is the image taken with the 6 year old old RX10 i.

[​IMG]

Below is the same scene shot with the new RX100 vii.

[​IMG]

Both were posted straight out of the camera with no adjustments of any kind. I think the new camera's image is a tad brighter.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    In The Hanger 3: Due to camera problems, my visit to Collings Foundation's Tank Demo Day got only as far as the hanger, where I got a few pics. Below are four pictures of the 1914 Curtiss Model F flying boat.

[​IMG]

The plane was developed in the years leading up to WWI and some 300 were eventually built.

[​IMG]

The plane has a Curtiss OX-5 V-8 engine driving a pusher prop.

[​IMG]

The plane crashed in 1915 in East Haven, CT, where the parts were put into a barn and forgotten. Acquired in 2016 by the Collings Foundation, the plane was restored by Century Aviation and flown on Moses Lake in 2018.

[​IMG]

It is the only fully-restored and operational Curtiss Model F in the world.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just Some Road Shots: Taken while riding last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Common Pose: The redhead stopped for a stretch at Hardwick Common.

[​IMG]

I thought it made a nice picture - one that I will like when I can no longer ride.
  16. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

M.R.O.K ?
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hi Shane, I just assumed it meant Mustard, Relish, Onion, Ketchup only for that price - none of the fancy stuff.
    KMichael and Shaggie like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Fields Of Spring: When I was a kid growing up, fields in spring were never green or picturesque. Back then and there, spring was a time for planting corn, soybeans, etc. and the air was filled with the smell of anhydrous. The view below was much more pleasing to the eye and nose.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 6 others like this.
  19. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    It looks like riveted wood... Nice.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The woodwork was quite nice. Looking at it head on, I wondered how fast it would go in the water without the wings and with that Curtiss V8 driving a water propeller.

[​IMG]