Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding In The Field: I had to go a little farther down the road where I could pull off and get out into the field a little ways.

[​IMG]

The spot afforded a nice view. Looking more to the east, you could see the hills in the distance.

[​IMG]

Looking more northeast was someone's private lane.

[​IMG]

Out of respect for private property, I didn't venture very far into the field.
    klaviator, KMichael, murin and 8 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    In The Hanger 4 - A Bevy Of Bipes: Due to camera problems, my visit to Collings Foundation's Tank Demo Day got only as far as the hanger, where I got a few pics. There were three biplanes in hanger, a Waco UPF7 and two PT17s.

[​IMG]

Of these my favorite has to be the PT-17, which was the first plane I ever flew in. My father took me up when he came home from WWiI. Being a ground pounder, he'd learned to fly from a Navy pilot buddy.

[​IMG]

The plane above (i.e., #67) is the last, flying Tuskegee PT17.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 6 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing Trains With The New (backup) Camera: With my good RX10 iv in the hospital, I am carrying and learning to use the new RX100 vii. To that end, I rode west with the new cam to the Palmer diamond where NECR and MC were busy shunting cars around. Below is the first pic I converted. It seems to take a decent pic that needs very little, if any, other post processing.

[​IMG]

More to follow when I catch up.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 6 others like this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; that row of flowering trees (crab apple?) that bordered the lane was gorgeous.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Here's the companion redhead pose for the series of shots above:

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well, Dam! I enjoy taking pictures where you can get reflection in water, be it water in the street/sidewalk or water in a river, lake or pond. In this case it was a pond, so I stopped.

[​IMG]

Getting up a little closer, I noticed this was a beaver pond, complete with am interesting beaver dam.

[​IMG]

Taking a more careful look, you could see that the beaver dam extended across the whole front side of the pond. It was the longest beaver dam I have ever seen, not that it means much.

[​IMG]

The dam extended way to the right in the view above, beyond what's showing in the photo.
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  8. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

Cheers John

had I been a lot cleverer, I may have been able to figure that out myself...:baldy

On another tangent, I may have missed the post but you’ve gone from an RX10 mk5 to an RX100 mk6?
    I do like the new mk6 100 a lot :raabia but you’ve lost significant ‘zoomability’ vs the 10?
    KMichael likes this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shane, the RX10 iv shit the bed and was sent in for repairs. I had an older, first gen RX10 but no backup, so I bought the RX100 vii as my main backup and pocket camera, hoping to get the RX10 iv back in the near future. The old RX10 will be the backup to the newer model. Also in this mish-mash is the fact that my old pocket camera, a HX20v, gave up the ghost some years ago.
    klaviator, KMichael and Shaggie like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Never Assume The Dealer's Service Manger Knows What He's Doing: You'd think after some 65 years of riding, I'd know that. Maybe I am just old and don't want to think about those things, specifically, did you really put on the tires I asked for. I was happily taking care of getting Kevin's bike getting service after it had been sitting for several years. I rode to the dealer this morning when they opened with an updated registration so they could finish with an inspection and deliver the bike later in the day. I had to ride there initially to schedule it all because you can never get the service department on the phone. When I asked the service manager about that, he said it was broken. That's a helluva way to run a service business.

[​IMG]

Any way, Kevin's bike (i.e., the blue head) supposedly got the full spa treatment, all fluids, valve check, diagnostic check, new battery, new tires, etc. - the works. After the inspection, dealer delivered it today just before lunch.

[​IMG]

The driver was courteous and efficient. After he left, I ran my motorcycle in and, by chance, looked at Kevin's tire - not what we ordered. They put the wrong tires on. I tried calling the service department again about a half dozen times - nobody answered, no voicemail option, the line just went dead. That was the same problem I had up front when I had to ride to their shop to schedule a service pickup. Anyway, I shotgunned the dealer's extensions until someone answered, listened to me and said I'd get a call shortly.

The service manager called back and immediately took the stance that it wasn't his error. When his attempt to blame me didn't go well for him, he suggested it was the part's department's fault. I told him I didn't care whose fault it was, just come get the bike and fix it. He asked me again what tires I wanted. I told him "Anakee Adventure" tires. He said, give me the number." I said, "two, I want two tires - front and rear." The manager somewhat condescendingly said, "I have to have the number on the tire." I said, "You told me before that you had the tire for his GS. Go look it up. Service departments are supposed to know these things." After getting a little rough with him, the manager finally said what he should have said up front (i.e., "We will fix it.") . The truck was back within the half hour to pick the blue head back up.

I wondered if this service manager was a secret agent for the competition. Had the bike been registered and rideable, I would have ridden to a different dealer in another state. I went with more local since the CT dealer stopped pickup and delivery this far away.

Not that it's a big deal but i lost a good bit of nice weather riding today because of this dealer and their dipstick service manager. At my age, time is precious.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Circling Another Mill: Shots taken on 2 sides of another old mill, starting on the east side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 4 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Church Work: I thought the work being done on this beautiful old church was interesting.

[​IMG]

I am guessing they're tuckpointing and/or waterproofing the stonework.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Town Hall Pose: The old town hall with bike at coordinates 42.349360, -72.198410.

[​IMG]
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Investigation Stops: Whenever I stop and get off the bike to investigate something, I now take one or more pictures of the surroundings. Below are two of those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    In The Hanger 5 - A Texan: Due to camera problems, my visit to Collings Foundation's Tank Demo Day got only as far as the hanger, where I got a few pics. This is one of two I took of the AT6. The other one was way underexposed as the camera was failing at that point.
    [​IMG]

I had to use a sharpen filter as the camera was having trouble focusing.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    In The Hanger 6 - The Stork: Due to camera problems, my visit to Collings Foundation's Tank Demo Day got only as far as the hanger, where I got a few pics. This is the only shot I got of the Fieseler Storch, the plane that rescued Mussolini's ass from atop a mountain.

[​IMG]

I am led to believe it is a pretty good STOL aircraft, where short means a distance of about twice its own length. The powerplant is an inverted V8.
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    In The Hanger 7 - Bobcat: Due to camera problems, my visit to Collings Foundation's Tank Demo Day got only as far as the hanger, where I got a few pics. This is the only shot I got of the Cessna UC-78 Bobcat, a multi-engine trainer and the plane that Sky King supposedly drove.

[​IMG]
  18. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

Not sure if a ‘like’ is appropriate but I’d be a bit pissy about it too!
    KMichael, Chethro and JRowland like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Out Of The Hanger: This is a shot of the upper entrance to the hanger to the right and the big museum in the distance to the left. When I left the hanger, the camera had pretty well quit.

[​IMG]

Outside were the only two other bikes I saw.
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    My rather forceful conversation with the service manager was done to refocus his attention from trying to blame anyone but himself to trying to fix the problem. He had trouble understanding that I wanted the problem fixed. Later I had a discussion with some other dealer folks where I tried to make these points:
    1. We needed a good, strong dealer in this area so we don't have to travel to CT or NH.
    2. Service experiences like the one I had doesn't help their business.
    3. I shouldn't have to demand that a mistake be corrected.
    4. The service department should at least have voicemail, if not answer the phone.
    This dealer's service behavior has driven us out of state before and it looks like they just did it again.
    klaviator, KMichael, Shaggie and 2 others like this.