Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Near-Perfect Bit Of Road? I keep asking myself if this is a near-perfect stretch of road. That "near perfect" classification is based on the fact that the road has quick curves and twists like a snake, but in such a way that you can see through the curves to what's ahead.

[​IMG]

You can wick it up with some serious lean without losing sight of what's ahead. Regardless, it's a small, pleasant stretch that I go out of my way to ride - sometimes leisurely and other times aggressively. The midpoint of the short snaking stretch is at about coordinates 42.449784, -72.450473. Another good stretch of twisting road is, of course, Rt 116 from the interstate to Ashfield, MA with the caveat that more than one rider has ended his life on that road.
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chased Train, Took Drone: This morning I work up wanting train so I took the fast way to the Palmer diamond and managed to catch pics of two CSX trains and one NECR power unit on the move. After that, all the other railfans left so I got out the drone and grabbed a couple of pictures before melting in a puddle of sweat. Two of the pics are below, one of the Porter and the other of the old station.

[​IMG]

Below is the station that's now a restaurant. It could once again be a great place to watch trains if/when the economy gets back on track.

[​IMG]

I would have taken more photos but both myself and the drone were overheating. Please let me know if you find these aerial photos interesting. I am thinking that, when possible, I will try to get both ground and aerial pictures of places.
    black 8, klaviator, zookster and 8 others like this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 for aerial stills. Not a big fan of videos though. Thanks John.
  4. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I think the aerial photos add a great, and unusual, perspective. Somewhere, I have an old photo of me inside that porter...in the front hatch (whatever it's called), maybe where the coal was burned? I was careful not to scratch it.
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Dave, for letting me know. I don't plan on doing videos since most of the stuff I photograph doesn't move.

Thank you for your viewpoint. We could have a lot of fun with that old photo of you. :D
    klaviator and KMichael like this.
  6. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I checked out your drone model online. Looks pretty fancy, but I've driven cars that cost less!
    KMichael likes this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Skydio 2 drone price was fairly competitive when I first placed the order, but the cost are going up given the demand and current inflationary period we seem to be in. I went for this particular drone for two main reasons. One was its small size and portability. The other was the model's degree of autonomy. Although the big draw for some buyers was the drone's ability to follow people around taking a moving of them without crashing into things, I was just looking for something that would take pictures, not movies, without crashing into things.

Your comment about perspective got me thinking more about these pictures and asking myself why I thought aerial views were sometimes more interesting and the answer I got was, as you stated, perspective with the additional idea of context. You get a different perspective on the subject along with improved context.

[​IMG]

Had I shot this side view at ground level, the terrain and objects in the background would have been blocked to a great extent, as would taking the picture from too great a height looking down. All of this has started me to put more thought on positioning the drone for the most interesting perspective. Thanks.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Bridges Of Shelburne Falls: A small pictorial treatise on the two bridges across the Deerfield River in Shalburne Falls, MA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    black 8, klaviator, B10Dave and 9 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Call Of The Wild: Well, it is really not that wild. There's only the occasional bear, coyote, deer, moose, turkey, skunk, bobcat or other critters about, Nevertheless, unpaved (and thus mostly devoid of traffic) roads through the wilds are among my favorite rides. Below are three recent pics therefrom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    black 8, klaviator, B10Dave and 7 others like this.
  10. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Am a fan. Keep the aerials coming, please.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    FYI, am still learning to fly the thing. I did just learn that the drone is particular about where it will take off from. I put it in the most open part of the back yard to practice some close-in flying and it wouldn't launch, giving me a message on the phone app saying it needed a more open area. The drone has 6 positioning cameras (3 on top and 3 below in addition to photo/movie camera) for obstacle avoidance so am thinking the device is doing some fancy triangulating. Thus directional positioning on takeoff may be a factor - something I will explore in coming days.

[​IMG]

It seems that and wind velocity may be the limiting factors as to when and where I can use it. Will report further on this as I get more experience. Am hoping to take the drone on its 2nd road trip today.
    black 8, KMichael, chethro and 5 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Aerial View Of Old Church: Below is one of today's aerial photos, taken of an old parish church dating back to the 1770s.

[​IMG]

There's always the question that a newbie aerialist has - how high and what angle for the best picture? I did go a little higher but came right back down after catching enough wind to make the drone work too hard to hold position.
    black 8, KMichael, Rjones and 7 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shelburne Falls' BOF: BOF stands for Bridge Of Flowers, which is a photo spot I like to check out several times a year. The BOF is a repurposed old trolley bridge over the Deerfield River. Below are some pics taken several days ago on a 200 mile ride to and from the town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cliffb, KMichael, chethro and 8 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I Found A Pound On The Ground: After taking a number of aerial photos and tucking the drone away in the back pack, I took this picture. The towns old, 1700s animal pound shows on the left in the background.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, JRowland, chethro and 4 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Slipping Into 2nd Place: The hot dog stand below, which is along the way to just about everywhere I ride going north, used to be my favorite. Although still very popular (photo below taken mid-afternoon) ,it has now slipped to 2nd place.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.241622, -71.713908, it has been surpassed by the tiny hot dog wagon further south down the same road at coordinates 42.216325, -71.693085. To their credit, the stand above grills both the hot dog and bun: however, the wait time is excessive and the selection of condiments limited. They've no chili dog, let alone one with caramelized onions and honey mustard like those from the little wagon. The stand above does have great, if somewhat greasy, union strings as a side but my main focus is a fast and furious hot dog, not a side of onions. Picky, picky, picky.
    KMichael, KPfromCT, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shelburne Falls' BOF 2: BOF stands for Bridge Of Flowers, which is a photo spot I like to check out several times a year. The BOF is a repurposed old trolley bridge over the Deerfield River. Below are the three remaining pictures taken several days ago. The first shot is looking to the left (north) up the deerfield river.

[​IMG]

Below is the view looking down the bridge walkway.

[​IMG]

The last pic below is looking slightly to the right (south).

[​IMG]

I will make this trip once again later when they've all the flowers blooming and not just the early flora.
    cliffb, zookster, pcarreiro and 6 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Downtown Shelburne Falls: I ventured into Shelburne Falls' downtown area and quickly turned around on a side street due to road construction. While sitting at the side street curb, I took the following two shots once the traffic had subsided for a moment. First is the street heading east.

[​IMG]

Next below is looking back west, which was the way I came and the way I went after shooting the pic.

[​IMG]

The downtown area is very scenic and active but not during this construction jam.
    zookster, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old Town Hall From The Air: An aerial view of the 1850 town hall at coordinates 42.572847, -71.648677.

[​IMG]

The drone fits perfectly in the bike's backpack (or panniers) with room to spare.
    black 8, zookster, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Buckland View: Just across the river west from Shelburne Falls is the town of Buckland. I rode back over the bridge to Buckland and parked the bike by the spillway debris picker.

[​IMG]

I just wanted a shot up river.

[​IMG]

The sad part is the extent to which the dam spoils the falls below
    zookster, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Connecticut Shade: This isn't in CT but it is a tobacco barn where you can sometimes see the finest cigar leaf wrapper drying - Connecticut Shade tobacco leaf. It's been a product of the CT river valley for a long time.

[​IMG]

I pass by here regularly on the way home.
    black 8, zookster, pcarreiro and 7 others like this.