Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 5th Meetinghouse: Below is a picture of the 1817 meeting house and church on Lancaster, MA, common. It was the town's 5th meeting house and was designed by noted architect Charles Bulfinch in 1816 and dedicated on January 1, 1817. The Bulfinch Meetinghouse is considered “an American architectural masterpiece” and is listed on the National Historic Register.

[​IMG]

The history of this church and meetinghouse goes back to 1653 when, by law, a town could not be established without first having a church. The first minister was Rev. Joseph Rowlandson, whose wife, Mary, made history when she was abducted by Indians in 1675, ransomed 12 weeks later and wrote a book about the ordeal. Her book, The Sovereignty & Goodness of God, Together with the Faithfulness of His Promises Displayed: Being a Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson, was published in Cambridge, Mass., in 1682 and became America's first best seller. John Hoar of Concord negotiated Mary’s release at the large , flat-topped granite ledge known as Redemption Rock, shown below.

[​IMG]

As the 5th, and hopefully final, meetinghouse, the Bullfinch Church is a area landmark. Below is the pic taken with the drone.

[​IMG]

The church has an original Seth Thomas clock, whose mechanism was shown in the following video.

klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 7 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rooting Around NH Today: I spent a good part of today riding back roads in NH, eventually ending up in Washington, NH, before heading back home. Below is one of the pics.

[​IMG]

More to follow.
    klaviator, B10Dave, drklynoon and 8 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Entertaining The Duck: When last in the town common, I was flying the drone in the vicinity of a woman sitting on a park bench with her pet/support duck. I asked if it flying the drone would upset the duck and told here I'd be happy to come back later if it would. She said, "go ahead, the duck would like to see it fly." I asked, "He isn't going to come after it, is he?" She then showed me that the duck was on a leash so I flew the drone to get pictures, several of which have already been posted. What wasn't posted was an inadvertent picture of me flying the drone and the woman with the duck on the park bench. You can just make out the white duck in its box.

[​IMG]

I was told the duck found it all very entertaining.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 7 others like this.
  4. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    That was an interesting video about the clock. Nice view from the bell tower!
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I was planning to fly the drone up to the clock face and bell tower but the winds were too high and buffeting the little drone pretty good. You can judge the height of the drone by looking at gazebo in the lower left corner of the shot below.

[​IMG]

The main problem with the wind was that it was gusty and swirling, given the buildings around this common.
    klaviator, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Uncommon Pics Of A Common: Below are two pictures taken above Hardwick common at approximately 42.349387, -72.198808.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was still very tentative about flying high at this time.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Conjuring Up A Sunset Scene: That's what I did - 2/3 riding photography, 1/3 art.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, sodapop, zookster and 9 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Breakfast At A Gazebo: We stopped off at our favorite pastry place this morning, got a cinnamon bun and had breakfast at the small gazebo overlooking the Ware River.

[​IMG]

Looking up river.

[​IMG]

Looking down river, below.

[​IMG]

This was a very pleasant stopping point, located at coordinates 42.311740, -72.207292.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    High Flying: Did some high(er) flying today after applying a software update and learning how to get a good GPS lock on the drone. After find that being too high doesn't get you the best picture, I came down to this flag pole level before yawing to the left to get an aerial shot of the old mill.

[​IMG]

More to follow.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was An Adventure: Sometimes the simplest things are an adventure, like trying a new place for dinner. Having dinner in this old summer mansion tonight was just that, not to mention a most pleasant experience.

[​IMG]

More to follow with information that might be of interest to other riders.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    After partaking in some of the world's finest cinnamon buns, I got this picture of the topside of the old mill in question.

[​IMG]

It certainly looks like they're taking steps to stop water damage from compromised roof areas on the mill. I also saw a group of people walking around the mill, which restricted my flying (i.e., you don't fly over people). I will certainly come back, launch from the river side and take a close look at the place.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Coincidence? These two structures are in the same town. The first one below was once a grand hotel in the center of the town.

[​IMG]

The second building below was once an individual's summer retreat located deep in the woods

[​IMG]

Am I the only one who sees the similarities (i.e. dormers between two gables, shingled siding, etc.)?
    klaviator, MattF44, zookster and 8 others like this.
  13. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn’t scroll back to look, I thought they were the same place. I see the red roof now obviously. That’s neat they are in the same town, what brought the business back in the day?
    KMichael likes this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Dinner At Clamber Hill - Part 1: We went out for dinner last evening, riding for an hour to get there. The place is Clamber Hill Inn & Restaurant located at coordinates 42.502869, -72.186469 and is shown in the previous post. Once a summer mansion for Roger and Caroline Putnam, the place is now an inn and restaurant located deep in the woods, adjoining Harvard Forest. You will want to go slow taking the single lane road into the property. Use of low-riders and Harleys is not recommended. The covid crap has not been kind to the private lane.

[​IMG]

After a few curves and several partially-filled washouts, you get there.

[​IMG]

As we drove up, we were greeted by a friendly border collie, who showed us to the front door.

[​IMG]

We went inside and that's when it got a little weird for a bit. More to follow.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Nichewaug Hotel was the town's big draw up until around 1950. After that, the only business in town was the country store, which is still true today except for the addition of lookalike inn in the woods (converted former summer home), a liquor store and a small restaurant that's open for a few hours on certain days. Oh, and there is a curling club just outside of town, but I've yet to see a car there. Somebody told me the town is/was old money.
    B10Dave, JRowland and KMichael like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: I needed one this morning.

[​IMG]
  17. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Well, that's a teaser. I love weird stories. Great picture of the old mill. If you get to the bakery early, try the peach/cream cheese danish. I just left there!
    JRowland, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Lower Mill View: This ones was taken from a lower altitude.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    I'm going to really enjoy the aerial mill photos.
    B10Dave, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  20. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Indeed, very similar.
    JRowland and popscycle like this.