Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Mansion To Music Conservatory: Sometime In the mid 1800s Reverend Nathaniel E. Thayer’s wealthy sons constructed a palatial Victorian mansion on family property in Lancaster, Massachusetts. It supposedly had largest formal hall and staircase in all of New England. Around 1902, architect Ogden Codman (designer of the famed "Breakers" in Newport) redesigned the house in the Georgian Revival style. I posed the redhead in front of the place last year.

[​IMG]

In 1942, the now-defunct Atlantic Union college bought the building and it served in various capacities until 1972 when it essentially became a music school. In 2018 after Atlantic Union closed, the Youth Ensemble of New England, a non-profit organization, began leasing the Thayer Mansion and running the school of music. Today, I stopped by the mansion and took some aerial photos.

[​IMG]

Back on the ground last year, the west end of the building looked like this (below):

[​IMG]

Trees blocked an aerial view of the west side but I did take one more from the front.

[​IMG]

The back of the manse will be the subject of a later post. I ran out of time today.
    Arflatfoot, B10Dave, N-Id-Jim and 9 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Remains Of A Toy Factory: Below are two more aerial photos of what remains of the old Converse Toy factory in Winchendon, MA. The drone is pointing towards the northeast and then north below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Virtually all of the larger factory buildings to the south are gone, as was shown in this photo posted earlier.

[​IMG]

This state is littered with the remains of once-great area businesses, some moved and some dead (e.g. Converse Toy, Digital Equipment, New Home, Indian, Springfield Arms, American Optical, Bigelow Carpet, etc.)
    B10Dave, franken, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
  5. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm convinced but will have to wait for next year since i need a good camera soon....this.

thanks guys.....back to the regular program. hopefully, i can do MA and MABDR in the near future.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I looked very hard at the Mavic, Rudy. Portability and price was very attractive and you'd be hard pressed to find a better value. I opted for the Skydio 2 for its autonomy and obstacle avoidance capability, thinking I'd be less likely to bang it up. It also has the capability to get up very close to things without running into them, which I've yet to exploit to any great degree. As you can see from the video below, it has the capability I want for future, close-up photography (but not bridge inspection).

If, however, you were going to take off cross country with a lot of camping stuff, the smaller Mavic would be the way to go, IMHO.
    KMichael, NSFW, MadRider777 and 4 others like this.
  7. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    That Skydio is amazing and is a great match for adventure riding... being self autonomous means you don't have to worry about flying the drone like DJI. Whats more, the Skydio's beacon makes all the difference when it comes to tracking a subject and is head over heels compared to DJI's active track.

I like to use the drone more to show the terrain from up on high and get over what little trees we have here on the west coast... BTW, those are some awesome captures around your neck of the woods. I'm looking forward to seeing more great photos from your piloting skills.
    KMichael, NSFW, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Classic Meetinghouse: Having this "thing" for colonial architecture and construction, any 1700s meetinghouse is an attraction to me and we have them around here. The simplicity, elegance and utility of these structures characterize the area and are often the centerpiece of autumn and winter photos and paintings. Below is the 1775 Jaffrey, NH, meetinghouse. History has its raising occurring on the same day as the Battle of Bunker Hill in Boston, which is some 70 miles away.

[​IMG]

The meetinghouse was built by 24 year old Captain Samuel Adams. The bell tower and spire were built in 1822 with a bell cast by the Paul Revere foundry. The building served as both a site for town meetings, community gatherings and church. Nearby are 9 of the original 12 horse/carriage sheds built in 1810.

[​IMG]

After the Civil War, the interior was rebuilt to contain town offices and school rooms. The present layout, appearance and use of the Meetinghouse dates from a major remodeling undertaken in 1922. As often happens, inhabitants of Jaffrey gradually moved away from the old town center to an area by the Contoocook river where mills sprang up.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Restful Composition: I was searching through the archives looking for a photo of the Troy NH train station and came across this from nearby Stoddard, NH. It reminded me of colorful drone possibilities to come.

[​IMG]
    chethro, JRowland, Arflatfoot and 9 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Classic Meetinghouse 2: Below are two more shots of the Jaffrey, NH, meetinghouse that were taken from a different angle. .

[​IMG]

It took me a while to get these converted/processed.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, black 8, chethro and 8 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Jaffrey NH Collection: Regularly passing through Jaffrey when riding farther north into NH has given me opportunities to take pictures, both at the old town center, shown above and below, and downtown. A few of these follow.

[​IMG]

First settled in the 1750s and incorporated in 1773, Jaffrey grew around the old town center, which had the meeting house and later the church above. With the industrial revolution came the water-powered mills and railroad, which caused a population shift to the east, where the downtown is now. The old textile mills, which sit on the Contoocock River, have been substantially refurbished and are now apartments.

[​IMG]

The Contoocock River was also the headrace for the mills, which were constructed around 1868.

[​IMG]

The mills, which closed around 1967 are now apartments that straddle the river.

[​IMG]

Revitalization of the old mills began around 2007 and look to be completed by now.
    KMichael, black 8, chethro and 5 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Simplicity Of An Old Schoolhouse. When I was up in the air over the old Jaffery meeting house, one shot caught a glimpse of the town's old school house. to the left in the picture below.

[​IMG]

Below is a closeup of the school I took after landing and putting away the drone. The building dates from 1822 when it was built for $200.

[​IMG]

It can be amazing to think of all the children in schools like this who, with only primitive facilities and materials, learned enough to build this fledgling country into a economic and industrial powerhouse.
    KMichael, black 8, chethro and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Fool On The Hill: I went to the highest hill in town, got out the drone and took the following picture. Why? Just because I was happy to see a nice evening sky (no rain). I was trying to get in as much of the town as possible from that vantage point.

[​IMG]

We live in the valley behind the treeline to the far left of the picture. it's about 1.5 miles distant by way of the crow flies or 2 miles by winding road.
    KMichael, black 8, chethro and 6 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata: Leftover photo from last night's hill climb (i.e., riding up to the highest point in town). It was interesting to learn what the little drone camera would do looking into the sun. The gamma curve did have to be adjusted.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, TheAdmiral, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Two Views Of A Millpond. Below are two views of a NH millpond taken from the same spot, one by the compact RX100 and the other by the drone.

[​IMG]

Sunshine was scarce today.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, black 8, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Above Barre: Below are two pictures taken above Barre, MA, at about coordinates 42.423526, -72.105902. Barre, first settled in 1720 and incorporated in 1774, was first an agricultural community and later a mill and manufacturing town. The first view is looking almost due south.

[​IMG]

Yawing the drone a little to the southeast gives the following view.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, black 8, B10Dave and 8 others like this.