Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reform School: Back in the mid 1800s, child reform schools came of age in conjunction with the industrial revolution and associated, more-dense population centers. Governments, charities and religious organizations formed rudimentary welfare safety nets for children who were homeless and had committed or were likely to commit crimes. Reform and industrial training schools were part of that net. The building below is one of a number of similar structures of a reform school built in 1856 in Lancaster, MA. It was the country's first reform school for girls, moving away from imprisonment to a corrections/reform paradigm. Some scholars think this worked better than today's welfare and justice systems for children.

[​IMG]

The building above was one of several "residential cottages" that had common spaces on the ground floor, and sleeping rooms for both students and staff on upper floors. First floor common spaces included a dining room, kitchen, sewing room, laundry, parlor, and classroom. I got an aerial picture of the building pictured above several days ago.

[​IMG]

Many of the reform schools of that era were eventually turned into prisons. What you see above is a mold infested, asbestos filled structure that also became a medium security prison that will be soon eaten by weather and foliage if nothing is done. That it is on the nationsl register of historic places won't alone stop the decay.
    KMichael, black 8, B10Dave and 7 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
  3. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, what is it?
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that. Given the device's I should have said. It is a WWII German range/distance finder called the Komandoger├Ąt 40. Also called a telemeter, it was basically an optical/mechanical computer that would use geometry and trigonometry to calculate the height and distance of enemy planes in the sky. Designed in the late 1930s it was primarily used against allied bomber raids into Germany from 1942 on.

[​IMG]
    (internet photo)
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    For Whom Did This Bell Toll? We must assume it was the mill workers.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, B10Dave, chethro and 5 others like this.
  6. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great picture of my old school! I was head of the class! All kidding aside.. awesome history tour.. you have so many interesting sites nearby.. out here there is the occasional defunct sawmill, and maybe a burned down whorehouse.
    KMichael, B10Dave, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Cheshire Mill No. 1: The bell tower above fronts the 1848 Cheshire Mill No. 1 that manufactured woolens until about 1970. Mill #1 is the granite section of the mill structure. Below is another aerial view taken farther back from the bell tower.

[​IMG]

More pictures of this mill can be found in the Library of Congress photo collection of the mill.
    KMichael, B10Dave, chethro and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Two More Meetinghouse Aerials: Below are two more drone pics of the classic, 1700s meetinghouses. The first, below is in Washington, NH, and the second in Jaffrey, NH.

[​IMG]

Back when I took the picture above, I was having difficulty getting a good GPS lock on the drone, which limited altitude. Once that got sorted out, I was able to get up higher, as shown below.

[​IMG]

There's now a 400 ft. max altitude restriction on drones so the next thing I need to do is figure out how to display the basic telemetry data from the drone. I did learn that if communication between you and the drone drops off, the drone will return to its starting x,y position but not starting altitude.
    KMichael, B10Dave, chethro and 5 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Caught Train Behind Furniture Store: I was about to walk in the rear door of a furniture store when I heard this engine spool up and noticed there were tracks withing a few feet of the business. I ran back to the car, grabbed the small camera, ran over near the tracks and got this pic as he was moving out.

[​IMG]

I hadn't seen a P&W consist in a long time and only seem to see trains when they're least expected.
    KMichael, chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Four Aerial Views Of the Reformatory/Prison/School: Originally a 1700s farm, the property shown below became a reformatory, minimum security prison, and then school for troubled children.

[​IMG]

Now, these buildings are on the block. Probably full of mold and asbestos and being on the register of historic places, who'd want them?

[​IMG]

Below is another view of the building in a previous post.

[​IMG]

The white structure below is the original 1700s farmhouse. Having been extended over the years, it served as administrative offices until the place was abandoned.

[​IMG]

There's been talk of restoring the historic old farmhouse above for the last 4 years but nothing's happened.
    KMichael, zookster, chethro and 5 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Troy NH RR Station Redux: The last time I passed by the old Troy, NH, railroad station was in Aug. 2019. I posed the redhead back then, as shown below, the the bike by the station thread.

[​IMG]

Several days ago, we were by there again but in the car since the bike's in the shop awaiting an ignition coil.

[​IMG]

While there, I broke out the drone and got several shots. Perhaps the best of the bunch is below, with the others being either too high or too low.

[​IMG]

Back in 2019, the old freight house was a bit of a mess.

[​IMG]

The good people of the town are fixing that up.

[​IMG]

With luck, a couple more years will see us back here to check things out.
    KMichael, Massabusa, zookster and 7 others like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the way the aerial view turns the bike stand and shadows into three hearts. Great pic John.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave. Happy to hear you're liking the aerials. Got a bunch more today to post in a bit. Still have some old ones to catch up on.
    KMichael, B10Dave and JRowland like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Location Context Of A General Store: We often take pictures of places without knowing much about the location context. Below is an example, using a picture of a general store I took back in 2018.

[​IMG]

Here's how it looked from the air the other day.

[​IMG]

The store is located at coordinates 42.944926, -72.094237.
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 5 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Views Of The Village Green: When I realized that I didn't have any decent summer pictures of the village green in Princeton, MA; I went out yesterday and took some.

[​IMG]

Going straight up a short ways gives you this view.

[​IMG]

Pictures were taken at or about coordinates 42.448772, -71.877351. It should be noted that this was once a popular summer resort town with numerous inns and hotels, all of which are now gone.
    KMichael, Massabusa, JRowland and 7 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Three Mansards: Two houses and a garage, as seen from on high. Popularized in France by Francois Mansart, the style spread, especially in New England in the 1800s.

[​IMG]

Apologies for the color. I was shooting into the sun without any filters, not that I have any for the drone yet. Also note the absence of the redhead, which is still waiting for the local dealer to fix it. Local area dealer's service has turned to crap.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    High Tides: Happened onto a good food stop today. The place is called High Tides and it serves seafood, fried and baked.

[​IMG]

High Tides is located on Rt 122 (i.e., a very nice riding road) in Barre, MA, at coordinates 42.442737, -72.165064 and serves up a tasty seafood meal. I had baked haddock and scallops with fries and slaw, shown below. The fries and slaw were very good also. From what I could see, portions are generous.

[​IMG]

I looked up the place later and saw it gets good reviews. They open from noon to 8 PM but are closed Mon., Tue. and Wed. As always, I've no interest in or affiliation with this place - just making fellow inmates aware should they be in the area and hungry for some seafood.
    KMichael, Massabusa, zookster and 3 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Experimenting: I am having trouble learning stuff I need to learn. The problem was (and perhaps still is) that I got so hung up with the fun and novelty of the drone that I wasn't paying nearly enough attention to things like best altitude, view angle, sunlight, distracting (from the photo subject) objects, etc. Another distraction was/is battery life. With this drone, I have about 25 minutes of flight time before the thing comes down. I was overly-worried about getting the drone back to where it started that I hurried the whole process.

The process was launch, maneuver enough to get GPS lock, go up, yaw (i.e. point), go toward, shoot, come back and land ASAP. The good news, and a concept I am adjusting to, is that you can fly to edge of the battery time envelope, hit the HOME button and the drone will come back to where it started. Then, hit the LAND button, relax and watch it land. This assumes you took off from a good flat area or from atop the landing pad case. This drone is smart enough to know when it is running out of juice and will land itself in the safest place it can find but you really don't want that to happen (e.g. if it happens to be over something you don't want to be over). You, not the drone, should choose the landing spot. I prefer landing on top of its carrying case.

Pushing aside these distractions (i.e., novelty, fun, battery life, piloting, UAV allowable, etc.) the challenge of getting the best, most interesting photo looms large. To that end, I've been experimenting. One experiment was with a simple flower garden beside a house. Although not stunning, I thought the tiny garden might make an interesting photo so I took several from the ground, one of which is below.

[​IMG]

I used the photo above as the basis for the drone flight, thinking this would probably be the best angle for the drone given the surrounding trees and wires. Wires are something you need to pay attention to as this drone can autonomously avoid most things but wires are not one of them. Once I launched the drone , moved it around a little to get a GPS lock, went up and grabbed several picture while being mindful of the rule of thirds. Below may be the best of those taken.

[​IMG]

The picture takes in virtually all of the target flower garden and surrounding area, including the pond in the background that you might not see from ground level. By drifting a little more to the left, I might have gotten in more of the house. The reason I selected the above as perhaps the best of the bunch is that there's a not unreasonable balance of garden, water and sky (i.e., rule of thirds). As for color and stuff, I am way too early in the game to start playing with filters and ISO settings, preferring to leave the drone camera on AUTO.

Now if the dealer will only fix the GS, life will go back to the "it doesn't get much better than this" level.
    KMichael, B10Dave, JRowland and 4 others like this.