Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Nice New England Scene: I liked this picture taken above the old mill town of Harrisville.

[​IMG]
    black 8, KMichael, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not Long For This World: Below is what was left of an old building back in 2015, when I took the picture.

[​IMG]

I went by there several days ago and found the building marked unsafe and fenced in. Situations like this are one of the reasons I got the drone, so I launched it and got the following pictures.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the status of the roof, this building isn't long for the world. The old place looks to be the result of 4 additions to an original structure. My last trip to the town's historical society didn't get me any information about the place, probably one of those "wrong time, wrong person" things you run into at those societies. I am keen to find out what this place was all about.
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 3 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nice Church In Templeton: Two pics taken the other day of the church in Templeton, MA, town center.

[​IMG]

When possible, I like to get both a ground and one decent aerial picture of a place.

[​IMG]

Given limited battery life (i.e., 25 minutes in still air), I don't spend much time in the air getting different views if it's windy.
    black 8, KMichael, Massabusa and 7 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Aerial View Of A 1700s Clock Maker's Home & Shop: Taken Sat. afternoon, there are yet more pictures to process and a brief story to put together.

[​IMG]
    black 8, KMichael, JRowland and 6 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Crash Test: I was fussing with this picture using it to try and crash a particular photo-editing package. Although a rare problem, the firm's support group sent me an email asking for the event logs following a crash. Unable to make the software crash with this pic, I thought I might as well post the image.

[​IMG]

The place has the look of a totally refinished old factory building.
    black 8, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Horologist Revisited: Back in 2015, I visited a clock museum in North Grafton, MA, that is just south of Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine. More interested in what was inside, I didn't pose the redhead until several years later on a rather gloomy Dec. day when I was driving past (museum was closed that day).

[​IMG]

Having already posted images inside the museum, I took advantage of a rare bit of good weather the other afternoon to get several aerial pictures of this classic structure - a colonial house and clock shops.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.239062, -71.673107, the museum is the 1700s home of the Willard family, who were 4 generations of clock makers that were very good at their craft.

[​IMG]

Given the brief window of good weather and the recurring problem of the redhead's coils, the Willard Clock Museum was a nice play to fly around and try to polish my aerial photo skills.
    black 8, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sweetcorn Is In: I stopped by my favorite farm stand at Ashland Farm this afternoon to see if they had any of their most-excellent, butter & sugar sweet corn. Despite all the rain, which has put a real bite on the crops, they had four bushels that was going fast. I got out the drone and got them some pictures of their farm, one of which is below.

[​IMG]

The farm stand is located a little east and a north of New Braintree center at coordinates 42.322149, -72.109079. The place is a family, not corporate, farm - the type of place I like to patronize.

[​IMG]

With the redhead in the shop, the Miata is the stand-in moto for these treks The BMW dealer (i.e., Wagner Motorsports in Worcester) can't give me a time frame for the fix and are acting like they don't really care (told me I could take it somewhere else). Tonight I assuaged my frustration by eating sweet corn.
    black 8, chethro, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Digging the new perspectives and moody skies.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Above The Warwick Rest Stop: Warwick, MA, is a place where I usually stop and rest when heading northwest into NH or VT. While stretching my legs this last time, i pulled out the drone and grabbed several shots from above the front of the library. Below is downtown Warwick.

[​IMG]

The most interesting building is the old hotel/inn, shown below. Other than that, there's not much to see.

[​IMG]
    chethro, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Miscellaneous Milltown Meandering 1: Additional aerial shots taken in Harrisville, NH.

[​IMG]

Both pics taken with drone launched at or about coordinates 42.944643, -72.093317.

[​IMG]
    black 8, chethro, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Miscellaneous Milltown Meandering 2: Additional aerial shots taken in Harrisville, NH, looking at the mill race canal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    black 8, chethro, JRowland and 6 others like this.
  13. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The skies in New England are very moody right now. Lots of smoke from the Oregon fire, even though it's 2500 miles away. Sunset was a red dot last night...creepy. (Probably makes for some interesting drone shots...hint, hint...)
    JRowland, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  14. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have missed the info from an earlier post…are you using ND filters?
    KMichael likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you, appreciate knowing that. Moody we've got.

Speaking of atmospherics, I took this shot yesterday afternoon from atop an old mill. I ran the image through an anti-haze filter to see how how much blue was actually captured in the sky. It wasn't all that much.

[​IMG]
    chethro, JRowland, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    No filters on the drone camera. I do use software filters in post processing.
    KMichael likes this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Miscellaneous Milltown Meandering 3: Additional aerial shots taken in Harrisville, NH, which is a well-preserved, classic, New England mill town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    black 8, chethro, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Miscellaneous Milltown Meandering 4: Additional aerial shots taken in Harrisville, NH, which is a well-preserved, classic, New England mill town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is just about the last of them.
    black 8, chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Goodspeed View: I had been want to get a look at what was left of the old Goodspeed Machine Company, which made industrial woodworking machines (e.g., back knife lathes, planers. etc.) Circumstances dictated my launching from a property removed from the old plant and below is the pic I got with the remaining battery charge.

[​IMG]
    chethro, JRowland, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  20. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Outstanding pic. Bravo.
    chethro, JRowland and popscycle like this.