Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Haze: When I go up to photo something, I usually first take the shot and then yaw (rotate) the drone on around in 90° increments to photograph the rest of the environment. Sometimes the results are interesting and sometimes not. The image below wasn't all that interesting other than the amount of haze in the atmosphere that was supposedly from the Canadian wildfires. The result was an unintentional selfie with a hazy sky.

[​IMG]

Note: As of this morning, the motorcycle is still in the shop.
    klaviator, B10Dave, zookster and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ashuelot 4: Immediately below is an old BxW internet photo of the Ashuelot railroad station and bridge.

[​IMG]

Standing just off the road to the left of where the tracks meet the road, I had the drone pretty much straight overhead to take the following shot of the bridge, which also catches part of what's left of the station.

[​IMG]

Finally, there's the earthbound, inside shot.

[​IMG]

That covers most of the Asuhelot pics.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Last Of The Mill Pics: Below are the last of the Gilbertville mill aerial photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, N-Id-Jim, JRowland and 6 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Most Peaceful Pond: On a peaceful scale from 1 to 10, this had to be a 10.

[​IMG]

The drone was up at coordinates 42.694367, -72.898584.
    klaviator, N-Id-Jim, JRowland and 6 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Want A College? I flew the drone over one that's been closed and mostly abandoned for several years now.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the grounds and buildings appear to be well maintained. I believe I once read that it could be had for the paltry sum of $10 Million. Since then, the owners (7th Day Adventists) have been selling it off piecemeal.

[​IMG]

I took these pictures at coordinates 42.444936, -71.686023. You can see the college listed HERE.
    Chethro, JRowland, zookster and 3 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Little More About That College For Sale: The collage mentioned in the previous post as being for sale had it's start back in 1883 with this old school house, called Founder's Hall.

[​IMG]

Built in the Gothic Revival/Queen Anne style, the design typical for that era begs for an aerial view, shown below.

[​IMG]

It goes without saying that I had to get a better look at what was in the belfry.

[​IMG]

There were no bells, just loud speakers. It needs bells.
    klaviator, N-Id-Jim, NxtGoRnd and 9 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Who, among us, doesn't love a radial?
    KPfromCT, N-Id-Jim, NxtGoRnd and 7 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    One More Schoolhouse Pic: I had one more picture of the old founder's school, taken from a different angle

[​IMG]
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That Old Stone Church Again: Built in the 1890s, this Baptist church was abandoned when the area around it was flooded as a water reservoir.

[​IMG]

Now empty, with bare stone walls, the interior of the church looked like this after it was built.

[​IMG]

After being abandoned, the stone church fell into ruin. In 1973 the roof collapsed into a pile of rubble. Since then, the stone walls were repaired and a new roof structure built.

[​IMG]

Today, the stone church is a local area attraction that also hosts weddings and, sometimes, special Sunday services.

[​IMG]

The church attracts a good number of fall photographers.

[​IMG]

I will have to go back in the fall with the drone.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happy Days Are Not Here: I got a call from Wagner Motorsports today that the GS' coil problem was fixed. I happily went to pick it up. When they handed me the keys they said the water pump is going and should be replaced soon. About halfway home it started to backfire, then the check light came on and then the engine started to repeatedly rev up and back down with absolutely no throttle control. I managed to get it home with some fancy clutch work but I am beginning to think either (a) with only 65K miles, this bike may be a POS, (b) the dealer is incompetent or (c) some combination thereof.

Just venting with the understanding there are far worse problems; however, I am in the early stages of starting to dislike this bike. I don't like bikes that start to continually break down or have problems and then have trouble being fixed. This BMW is moving into that category after 7 years of prescribed service done.
    KMichael, B10Dave and Chethro like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Leftover Train Pic: Back on the 14th of this month, I was walking in the back door of furniture store when a train made itself known coming on a track right next tot the store. Running to the car, I got off two shots one of which I posted (because it showed the two power units). This was the first pic as the P&W engine was just coming around the store. I was using the pic to test a software fix and decided to just go ahead and post it

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Above Royalston: Went through town and took three aerial pics at or about coordinates 42.675677, -72.187537. First was the church, which looked to be freshly painted

[​IMG]

Next door to the left is the town hall, which also had new paint.

[​IMG]

Immediately across the street east are several houses. The larger one, though, was empty.

[​IMG]

The town has a little over 1,000 residents in two population centers. The pictures above were in the older center. Most of the population shifted to where where the railroad and river came through (i.e., South Royalston)
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  13. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    Seems like you have reached the point of becoming a shopper.... 65K isn't a bad run. I know many get more, but still not bad.
    klaviator, KMichael and JRowland like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Netflix Gone: Soon after the Netflix movie crew left town and the old mill site they'd been using, I went there to get some aerial photos. Without the drone, you are pretty much limited to through or just over the fence.

[​IMG]

Thus, the utility of the drone to look the place over becomes apparent.

[​IMG]

I got what I wanted to see with several quick pics, which saves precious battery time, shown above and below.

[​IMG]

The drone was positioned at the southeast corner of the mill property. What I now want, if possible, is a good view from the the northeast corner, top right. That does appear to be a bit of a problem.
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  15. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had guests arrive last night and they brought a drone they just got. DJI is the brand, I guess it's just under the weight limit of needing to register it with the FAA. It's smaller than I expected and man is it neat! It was super cool looking at the views over the mountains around me and seeing my neighborhood from above. He thinks he can get it over Cataloochee Valley tonight from my porch, if I can view elk from the porch I'm a player for sure. I want one already just from seeing your pics.
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Good on you. A drone will bring a whole new dimension to your rides/trips! Keep us posted. Don't forget, though, there is always the issue of wind so find out how whatever you're thinking of handles windy conditions.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Flying Over Templeton: Below are three shots taken while flying over the green in Templeton, MA, at or about coordinates 42.555307, -72.066940. The first of these below show an interesting structure - a house greatly extended for commercial purposes over the years.

[​IMG]

Yawing to the right points towards the church.

[​IMG]

Yawing again to the right shows the view looking north up Baldwinville Road.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Gee whiz. I get punted for 3 months and you’re airborne.
    klaviator likes this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Huh? What did you do? Help us out here so we might learn what not to do. Just so you know, my bike is currently in the hospital for what seems to be the dreaded CIDS disease.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Flying Over Rowe: Below are three aerial pics taken while passing through through the town of Rowe, MA. I go thru Roweseveral times a year as I like to both ride and drive the roads up in that area. On this stop, the camera was up above the town green at or about coordinates 42.694474, -72.898594. The first shot is looking toward the town hall.

[​IMG]

Yawing 90° to the right gives you a vista of the area south.

[​IMG]

Another 45° to the right shows the village green and my favorite gazebo.

[​IMG]

That's probably enough for now. This is a very small town.
    klaviator, franken, KMichael and 6 others like this.