Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. JackalHack

JackalHack Perpetually confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, stupid question time...

Do you review the footage and are pleasantly surprised by what you get or are you actively watching what the drone captures?
    JRowland likes this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you took a CSM dump somewhere. Anyway, glad you're back into RRs. To that end, I will post a celebratory pic for your return from the darkness into the light. :D

[​IMG]
    klaviator, chethro, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That is definitely not a stupid question! I fly the drone with a controller that attaches to an iPhone. When the controller/iPhone combo syncs up to the drone, the iPhone displays what the camera sees. When I launch the drone, I keep it in sight at all times but also look to see what the camera is seeing. Generally, I have thought out in advance what I want the drone to be looking at and from where/what angle/height. By adjusting the drone's yaw (rotation) and camera angle up/down, you can do to the drone camera what you would do to a handheld camera - get what you want in the viewfinder (which is the iPhone in the drone's case). With limited battery life, I don't spend a lot of time aloft.

There are those times when you can't see what's out there beyond whatever obstruction there might be (e.g., trees, buildings, hills, etc.). In those cases, I take the drone straight up high enough and slowly yaw around, looking at the iPhone view as I turn. If I see something interesting (e.g., a train), I then focus on that, moving the drone around to get the pic I want. When getting up the tops of trees, there is always the consideration of available battery life and wind conditions, which can greatly affect smaller, less powerful, drones

I hope this answers your question.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I’m loving the cross section of the America I love and miss. ❤️
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Aerial Train Fix: Given the absence of moving trains and the remote location of dozing locomotives, I have taken to the sky to see the latter.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 4 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Two Additional Mill Perspectives: Two more pics of the Uxbridge Mill that was used as a movie set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Reflections 3: The last of that one set of sky reflection pics. I haven't seen the waters that calm since that day.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, chethro and 7 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Hall On Hill: Two different shots of the Princeton, MA, town hall taken on two different days. The first of these below was taken at the bottom of the hill.

[​IMG]

Some days later when I was going throught the town, I launched the drone up the hill and took the next picture at coordinates 42.449663, -71.878294.

[​IMG]

Altitude and positioning definitely adds a new dimension to moto-photography
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I love all the green. Everything is on fire up here. Lawns are dead brown. We’re breaking century old temperature numbers.
    KMichael likes this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I am happy you posted this to let us know but I can't "Like" it. We hope you and the folks up there get through this OK. We will keep up with the green. Kepp us posted., please.
    JRowland and B10Dave like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Church In Leverett: This would be the church in Leverett, MA, at coordinates 42.452141, -72.501529.

[​IMG]

The view from the north side, above, is almost pastoral. It was back from here where launched the drone.

[​IMG]

I then rolled left toward the road and got a more frontal pic.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, JRowland, chethro and 5 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Police Were On To My Droning: Well, I did ask for it. I went into the Wilton police HQ to ask if it was OK to launch from their parking lot. The nice lady at the desk said she'd have to ask and came back with a "yes." The object of my picture taking was the old mill just across the street.

[​IMG]

I got the drone, put the landing case/pad in the parking lot and took off at or about coordinates 42.844968, -71.739425. As you can see from the picture below, the air and sky that day was very hazy from the fires out west.

[​IMG]

I pivoted the camera around and saw a policeman standing at the corner of the station watching it all.

[​IMG]

The officer was Chief Olesen - a nice guy. We chatted about drones for a bit with the chief asking a lot of good questions. I was guessing he'd never seen an FAA registration before so I asked if was wanting to see it. He did. I've other pictures taken from the parking lot to show later.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Blast From The Past: I dug out this pictures from 2015, converted and ran it through the AI package to post on another forum. Taken in May, it shows the Bancroft Tower in Worcester, MA, which was built by Stephen Salisbury III in 1900 to honor George Bancroft, a friend of his father. The tower is located at coordinates 42.276492, -71.815924.

[​IMG]

George Bancroft was a politician, historian, educator and statesman. As Secretary of the Navy, Bancroft established the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis. MD.
    KMichael, zookster, GAS GUY and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Above The Police Station: Below are two more aerial pictures, taken above (but not directly over) the Wilton, NH police station with their permission. Both pictures show the Souhegan River.

[​IMG]

As stated previously, the drone was launched at or about coordinates 42.844968, -71.739425 and a very hazy July 26.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Greenfield Meetinghouse: As I was passing through Greenfield, NH, the other day; the town's meeting house presented itself as a subject to be photographed. Having numerous regular photos, out came the drone and these two pics resulted.

[​IMG]

As with the previous post, where pics were taken an hour or so earlier, the hazy sky caused some loss of color and I didn't want to put it back in artificially.

[​IMG]

The meetinghouse is at coordinates 42.951107, -71.87192.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shooting The Sunset - An Experiment: Just before sunset last night, the drone went up in the driveway to test the camera shooting straight into the setting sun. Below is the result.

[​IMG]

I only did two things to the pic. One was minimizing the resulting, but expected, lens flare. Two was bringing out the sun rays. I want to also experiment when the sun is lower but expect the overall ground scene will be too dark and require an increase in light saturation. This would have been much more interesting over water.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 9 others like this.
  17. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    That cloud reminds me of a map of the Cape, tilted 90 degrees CCW.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: Still managing to find no trains moving after all these months.

[​IMG]

it is the price you pay for not wanting to hang around and wait for something to move by.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 4 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Factory Flyby: I have long wondered about this old factory building at coordinates 42.599371, -72.402382. Years ago I photographed it up close but they've put up a fence around it.

[​IMG]

The fence was, of course, an invitation for an aerial shot, shown below.

[​IMG]

it is my understanding that this structure is what is left of the Usher Paper Factory, which burned down some 10 years ago or more. The town owns it (for back taxes) and is hanging on to what's left.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 7 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    There Ought To Be A Law: I am sorry but old railroad stations should not be painted pink.

[​IMG]