Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoosac Homestead: Below are two photos of a bucolic homestead on the Deerfield River not far from the Hoosac Tunnel.

[​IMG]

I pulled off the road at about coordinates 42.679804, -72.984957 to take the ground snapshot and launch the drone for an aerial shot.

[​IMG]

If you drew a straight line from the drone to the house, the tunnel would just about lie on that line on the others side of the sloping hill.
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 4 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Flying Along The CSX Line: Below are three more views taken flying along the CSX line in Worcester near the P&W yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drone was up in the area around coordinates 42.254463, -71.807002, taking care not to fly over active CSX tracks.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The New Adventure Riding: When I got started in adventure riding back in the 1950s, whatever scoot you had was an adventure bike whose main purpose was to convey you to places where you could see and experience new things. Somewhere buried in all that was the love of riding things with two wheels. For some, riding is all about being seen more than seeing and, often, projecting some image of one's self rather than capturing images of others and other things. We prefer seeing and capturing images of what we see. In the last 10 years or so, we've gone down a lot of roads. Around here, that resulted in numerous views of road surfaces and trees. We've lots of trees. Now we need to get above the things we see to give them context and perspective. Not having a flying cycle just yet, an aerial camera is the ticket.

[​IMG]

The photo kit carried on bike or in the car consists of a camera bag with camera and drone controller and a drone case with drone, two battery packs extra propellers and lens cleaning stuff. Time to setup and launch is 2-3 minutes, depending on how fast you move and how fast the drone syncs up with the controller. When chasing trains, it's good to have it ready to fly.

[​IMG]

This is what, IMHO, adventure riding is all about - expanding your horizons.

[​IMG]

Sometimes, these perspectives lead to new things to see.
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 7 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Back To The Beginning Of It All: It was Kevin's GS and a poor-handling, problematic, porcine road sofa that got me off cruisers. He let me ride his during the week when he had no time. I probably put 4.000 miles on it the first year he had it. Being away on assignment, Kevin hasn't ridden it in almost 2 years, which isn't good for the bike. So, having gotten it serviced and shod, replaced the old fuel, addied an iPhone mount, voltmeter and replaced his Nav 4 with my Nav 5; the bike is now ready to be ridden.

[​IMG]
    (iPhone photo)

With the redhead having been diagnosed as being irreparable by Wagner Motorsports after they botched up a coil change, I have something to ride while we see if Max can fix it. We appreciate it! Thanks Kevin.
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 7 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The view from the other side:

[​IMG]
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nice Segment: There are roads and rides for every taste, be it a gnarly trail or smooth, curvaceous ribbon of smooth. Now at an age where gnarly is neither fun nor particularly smart, I like segments that are scenic and/or interesting. One long-standing favorite is the ride along the Deerfield River from its headwaters in Readsboro, VT, down to Charlemont, MA. Not that you'd need it but that route is shown on the Basecamp map below.

[​IMG]

You pretty much follow Tunnel Rd out of Readsboro, whose name changes to Readsboro Rd at the MA border. then changes again to River Road at Monroe and finally to Zoar Rd;. The main draw for me are the mountains (i.e., the tail end of VT's Green Mountains, the Deerfield River, several really good places to get some train photos (when the economy is good). As far as railroad pics are concerned the section track between the Hoosac Tunnel and river bridge is good, as is the section of track along Zoar Rd. There is only one town along the way down this Deerfield River valley road - Monroe Bridge. Monroe Bridge's claim to fame is a bridge across the Deerfield, an old, abandoned paper mill and a kayak/tube put-in down on Depot Street, shown below.

[​IMG]

It can be interesting to watch the tubers and kayakers piling into the river when there's a water release from an upstream dam. You can seen the stairs going down to the river on the left and a nice viewing area on the right. The next attraction down the road from Monroe is the famous and supposedly-haunted Hoosac Tunnel. Sometimes, there's a ghostly fog emanating from the tunnel. When the fog is being pushed out, rather than just slowly drifting, is an indicator that a train my be coming.

[​IMG]

Most of the ride, however, is just a decent, tree-lined road following the Deerfield River downstream.

[​IMG]

This ride ends up on the Mohawk Trail (i.e., Rt. 2). The river eventually empties into the CT river in Deerfield, MA.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, Chethro, GAS GUY and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Haunted Hoosac From On High: I took the following picture of the approach to the Hoosac Tunnel 6 years ago.

[​IMG]

Several days ago when riding by, I took an aerial pic of the tunnel approach from back across the road. There were a good number of people hanging around the tunnel entrance.

[​IMG]

Looking down the track the other way is the Deerfield River bridge, shown in the 2015 pic below.

[​IMG]

That same view from on high looks like this:

[​IMG]

The once-busy, Hoosac Tunnel station was just across the bridge. That station serviced tww railroads. One was the Fitchburg Railroad that came through the tunnel and the other was the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington Railroad that ran on the other side of the river from Wilmington VT through Monroe Bridge to the Hoosac Tunnel Station.
    KMichael, Chethro, GAS GUY and 5 others like this.
  9. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Was there once 2 sets of tracks across the bridge and beyond?
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is why you need a backup bike.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes, there were once two sets of tracks coming thru the tunnel (back when trains were smaller).

[​IMG]

Edit Note: That hole on the left was a test bore, using a primitive boring machine that didn't work out.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Redhead Goes To Max BMW: After getting the redhead back from Wagner Motorsports in worse shape than it was when it went in, fellow advrider, good-guy and inmate @MarkVeeMarkADV graciously offered to trailer it down to Max BMW in CT. Today was the day. We loaded it up about 9 AM for a 1.5 hour haul to South Windsor.

[​IMG]

Mark couldn't believe that in my nearly 65 rears of riding that I hadn't ever put a bike on a trailer, let alone trailer one anywhere. My being older than dirt didn't inspire him with confidence on getting the bike up but we managed with a little help from the kid in the big house. Fortunately, Mark's had thousands of miles of bike trailer experience and we made it to Max on John Fitch Blvd. in good time and shape.

[​IMG]

Kudos and Thanks to Mark! As for Max, Kyle's willingness to see what he can do with the bike gives us hope.
    black 8, KMichael, Chethro and 8 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another View Of That Hoosac Homestead: This one taken from higher up, showing the Deerfield River.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, black 8, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, Chethro, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Forgotten Bridge: Bridges are a point of passage from one awareness context to another, such as from home to work or work to home. Such was the case of the many mill bridges built so workers could get to and from their jobs. As mills closed and were abandoned, these bridges were no longer needed, tell into disrepair and were either torn down, fenced up or posted. Such is the case with one forgotten mill bridge. Unsuitable for the Show Us Your Bike At The Bridge thread and mostly hidden from view, I did manage to get a few shots of it.

[​IMG]

Aside from being posted, having foliage starting to grow out of the deck planks suggests better ways to cross or get a pic of the river. So, I went down by the river for a better, if not good, shot of the structure. This was definitely just a footbridge.

[​IMG]

To get an idea how the bridge fit into the overall scheme of things, I launched the drone from in front of a shuttered warehouse. You can see it in the lower right hand corner of the picture below.

[​IMG]

Whereas the ground view suggested the bridge might be safe enough to walk across, the sky view says otherwise. I did, though, spend a few minutes thinking about the people who did walk across it back in the day and wonder about their transition from work life to home life as they left work.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: Happiness is catching one on the move.

[​IMG]

More happiness is when it stops for a trackside conference, giving you time to get the drone up.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 4 others like this.
  17. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to know the town or the coordinates of that bridge. In July I did a ride up 22 from Poughkeepsie into Western Mass, and VT. Then headed for the Adirondacks. I was struck by the sheer number of abandoned but awesome industrial buildings in the area.

I am a historic preservation architect - I could see lot of beautiful apartments in that Mill.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    If you are referring to the mill & bridge below, it's at coordinates 42.154457, -71.653321.

[​IMG]

It will be interesting to see if there's flooding here after Henri hits tomorrow. As I am sure you know, this is an occasional problem for mills along rivers.

Edit Note: I took a bunch of pictures of this place while up. Also, this thread is chock full of old mills, many abandoned or dormant.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Above Monroe Bridge: Below are three aerial views taken while flying above the ground at coordinates 42.722216, -72.938526. The first, below, is looking up river.

[​IMG]

Panning to the left gets more of the bridge and the dam.

[​IMG]

Panning down river shows the old, abandoned paper mill and the tube/canoe/kayak put-in.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:

[​IMG]