Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found a separate, closeup pic of the engine.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 7 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix - Another Look At That SD40:

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 4 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Uxbridge Mill Revisited: Two more views of the Uxbridge, MA, mill ruins located at coordinates 42.075180, -71.626727.

[​IMG]

Ground view above, aerial view below.

[​IMG]

I have fun imagining what kind of interesting place this could be turned into by preserving the structure's ruins nature and without doing a whole lot of construction. Whatever it would be, the name would be "The Ruins".
  4. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of peoples drone pics are bland, lack a subject, too high, too low, etc...

Yours are well done.

Thanks for taking the time to put all this stuff in the computer and upload it. I know it gets to be work sometimes.
    KMichael, Chethro and JRowland like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you for tagging along and for the kind words. We keep trying to improve and appreciate any and all feedback, especially what people like and/or dislike seeing.
    klaviator, KMichael and JRowland like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Two More Uxbridge Mill Aerials: Am trying to figure out what they're doing in there.

[​IMG]

The Mumford river flows under the part of the mill where all the steel girders are. The diagonal grassy area is a mystery.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 6 others like this.
  7. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    I was going to ask you if you knew what that diagonal area was. lol. A filled in mill race that used to run under the building? No idea myself.
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mill race or steam pipe run are the only things I can think of at the moment that make any sense.
    KMichael, zookster and JRowland like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Mill That Lobsters Built: Once in a great while, you run across an old mill that is neither abandoned nor flailing. Even more rare is the a successful old mill that owes its existence to lobsters. Such is the case of the old Riverdale Mill. It is one of the many old mills found along the Blackstone River, which was at the heart of the industrial revolution. My first encounter with the mill was back in 2015, shown below. I didn't know what it did back then.

[​IMG]

This old mill, however, is now thriving as a manufacturing facility, thanks to the efforts of James Knott Sr., who was an engineer and inventor with good business instincts. With reference to Riverdale Mills History, the short of it is that Knott built a better lobster trap, using an invention he named Aquamesh. With Aquamesh, he founded Riverdale Milles in this old mill structure back in 1979. Back then, it was a run-down old textile and paper mill. That was then. This is now.

[​IMG]

Today, Riverdale Mills manufactures a variety of welded-wire mesh products and has expanded its brands. You just cannot get an idea of the scope of their operation from the ground.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Shaggie and 8 others like this.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any "Red Head" news yet John?
    KMichael and JRowland like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    No news yet since we took her in last Friday. I am guessing Kyle and the techs at Max have a good bit of diagnostic work to do.

[​IMG]

Letting Wagner work on it turned out to be like having an axe murderer do brain surgery. Aside from the periodic loss of throttle control, the bike came back from them barely able run at all. Again, thanks to Mark for coming to provide ambulance service for the redhead.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: Caught a freight this morning but couldn't sync up the drone fast enough to catch the engine.

[​IMG]

There were a good number of rail fans out this morning, two of whom were taking videos of the freight. The young kid on the bicycle near the bottom of the picture supposedly has his own video channel.
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 3 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dam Millpond: There's a good size millpond in front of the Riverdale Mill mentioned earlier. Riverdale Mills upgraded the old dam and race to provide hydroelectric power to to the mill. The dam is what backs up the Blackstone river to form an expansive pond.

[​IMG]

The hydroelectricity generated out of this impound provides about 10% of the mill's electric needs. I guess it helps their electric bill.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Poet's Seat: The Poet's Seat is really a tower - a 1912 stone tower that replaced an 1878 wooden tower on the same spot. That spot sits atop a bluff overlooking the CT River to the east and Greenfield, MA, to the west and is located at coordinates 42.594602, -72.586481.

[​IMG]

The spot got its name because it attracted a lot of poets and one in particular, Fredrick Tuckerman, coined the phrase "Poet's Seat" in 1850, as noted in a surviving herbarium entry. The road up to the tower isn't so good, being more the kind of road a GS would love, but the view is great. Rather than climb the tower and take pictures, I let the drone do the climbing.

[​IMG]

There is a nice set of stairs in the tower, leading all the way to the top level.

[​IMG]

There is a nice overlook of Greenfield even when taken at ground level, shown below.

[​IMG]

In the background are the Berkshire foothills. That said, I was not inspired to read or write any poetry
    klaviator, black 8, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Miscellany Above The Deerfield River:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, black 8, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  16. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    A thought...drone fishing...:hmmmmm
    KMichael, popscycle and JRowland like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It's been done.

KMichael, JRowland, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Pristine, Classic 1700s Church: This would be the First Congregational Church of Shrewsbury. I was flying above coordinates 42.297613, -71.714168.

[​IMG]

This old church is in mint condition, inside and out as well as top to bottom.

[​IMG]

Below is good picture of the church sanctuary.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 7 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When The Drone Doesn't Help: There are those times when, for whatever reason, you can't get the picture you want. Such is the case with the covered bridge at coordinates 42.507842, -72.711102. It is supposedly the oldest, surviving covered bridge in the U.S. The problem has been a combination of bad timing, bad weather and/or too many trees in the way. Below is a picture taken back in 2015.

[​IMG]

Most recently, I tried to use the drone from the area above but it couldn't get a GPS lock and wouldn't launch from anywhere near the bridge. Not wanting to trespass on anyone's property, I went behind the church across the street and got a pic from above the church.

[​IMG]

I just couldn't get a good altitude/angle combination. If all goes well, we will try again middle to late fall when there's less leaves and move color.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: I caught NECR doing the shove, pushing two cars onto the CSX siding.

[​IMG]

I had to get a picture of the GP as it went by .

[​IMG]

When it came back onto the NECR line, it had to wait for clearance to cross the diamond.

[​IMG]

Not wanting to waste battery hanging around waiting for him to cross, I came down and packed up. Once the drone, batteries and controller were stored, the engine came across of course. Knowing it would take too long to unpack, setup, sync up and get a GPS lock; I just left. Another day.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.