Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]

Crap resto color, IMHO.
    klaviator, Chethro, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shrewsbury Center: While taking pictures of the church above, I turned the camera 180° to the south and got the following picture over the village green.

[​IMG]

The village green or town common is the green area occupying most of the bottom left of the screen. Bottom right is the 1798 Sumner House that was home to multiple generations of the Sumner family, the last of whom sold it in the 1980s. It then became a B&B and, more recently, a funeral home. To the left is Rt. 140 and off-screen, lower left is the public library. We lived in Shrewsbury from around 1978 to 2018.

Below is a picture taken this May from the library parking lot looking across the common at the Sumner House (now a funeral home).

[​IMG]
    klaviator, Chethro, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Clouds Over the Pan Am Sale? Whenever I am within 5-10 miles of Pan Am's rail yard in Deerfield, MA, I ride by to see if anything is moving. Most of the time, the yard looks like it's asleep, in which case I just take an aerial photo or two and then leave. Such was the case several days ago, when I took this pic.

[​IMG]

It turns out that the dark clouds over the yard were prophetic. The DOJ has poked its nose into the proposed Pan Am/CSX sale and seemingly picked the agreement apart like you might pick cooked chicken apart to make chicken salad. The gist of DOJ's dislike of the agreement can be found here: August 26 DOJ Filing On CSX/Pan Am.
    klaviator, JRowland, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sand Tower Fix: While I was farting around trying to get a good look at the above turntable area, I did get a shot of the units at the sand towers.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, Chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Turner Falls Canal: Aside from the Hoosac Tunnel, one of the more interesting engineering endeavors in this area is the Turner Falls canal, which was first constructed in 1798 as a business venture along side the CT River. Back then, the canal was 2.5 miles long and 20 ft wide. As a business enterprise, the canal was profitable for around 30 years and remained navigable until around the 1850s; however, trains killed transportation of goods by canal barges. In 1869, the canal was reconstructed to provide waterpower to the mills along the CT River, shown below

[​IMG]

Today, the canal provides fast-moving water to a power station at the end of the canal. The ground photo below may give you a better idea how fast the water is moving. The water looks like it's boiling.

[​IMG]

The original canal dam has, of course, been replaced with the newer CT River dam and bridge that's at or near coordinates 42.611681, -72.551645. The bridge, dam and canal can be seen in the aerial photo below.

[​IMG]

Several more, related pics to follow.
    klaviator, GAS GUY, Chethro and 10 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Turner Falls Aerials: First below is a better view of the CT River as it flows up to the dam.

[​IMG]

Looking turning to the east, you get a view of the canal and the CT River below the dam. I have no idea what kind of plant, mill or facility was associated with that storage tower but would guess it had something to do with water.

[​IMG]

Finally, below is a view looking southwest into the downtown area.

[​IMG]

The drone was flying at or around coordinates 42.609874, -72.556240 for these photos.
    klaviator, black 8, GAS GUY and 7 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Towering Friendship: My recent ride to Greenfield, MA, to look at the Poet's Seat Tower, shown below, started me thinking about towers.

[​IMG]

I remember back 6 years ago when we discovered a medieval tower in Worcester, MA, that seemed a little out of place. Kevin knew about it but I didn't so it was a bit of surprise.

[​IMG]

The sidewalk plaque explains.

[​IMG]

To make a longer story very short, I remembered all this, looked up Salisbury and Bancroft and decided yesterday to ride into Worcester and get an aerial view of the tower. The first of those images below with more to follow.

[​IMG]

More aerials to follow.
    klaviator, GAS GUY, Chethro and 6 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, GAS GUY, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  9. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    What a beautiful machine. Love it.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Look What Erastus and Horatio Did: Their last name was Bigelow and, you guessed it, they started making carpets. Being inventive, they built their first mill in 1847 and kept expanding it until around 1922. You could say the town of Clinton grew up and became a manufacturing powerhouse because of the Bigelows.

[​IMG]

Bigelow kept expanding and this is what remains of their mill complex, which extends all the way down the street until the street meets the mill above.

[​IMG]

Turning a little to the right, you can see more of Clinton's downtown and central park/green.

[​IMG]

The buildings in the lower middle, where two streets intersect in a triangle, is the work of a man who rescued the mills on the left. That would be engineer, inventor, early adventure rider and company president and chairman, Gordon Lankton. The building I am referring to is a museum housing his collectibles. Did I mention Gordon was an early adventure rider and a writer as well?

[​IMG]

Gordon built Nypro into a plastics powerhouse and sold it to his employees when he retired. He is shown above in his office at the Museum Of Russian Icons, which were his collecting hobby. I was honored to be able to meet and chat with him. Gordon Lankton, another Illinois native, died this year.
  11. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Nice tribute to Gordon. As near as I can tell, Bigelow Carpet in Clinton, MA has no affiliation with Bigelow Carpet in Enfield, CT despite their heydays and location being very close?
    KMichael and Chethro like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    This is something I found in Vintage Advertising & Company Histories :

he Bigelow-Sanford Carpet Company was founded in 1838 by brothers Erastus B. and Horatio N. Bigelow in Lancaster, Massachusetts. Its industry is carpet and its headquarters is in Eden, North Carolina (previously Greenville, South Carolina; was New York City, New York before 1974).
    [​IMG]

In 1899, the company merged with the Lowell Manufacturing Company. It merged with the Hartford Carpet Company in 1914, and then Stephen Sanford & Sons in 1924. In 1967, Bigelow was acquired by the Sperry & Hutchinson Company. The company was bought out by its senior executives in 1981 who later sold it to Fieldcrest Cannon, Inc. in 1986. In 1993, it was acquired by Mohawk Industries. Today, it is sold as Bigelow-branded carpet/rugs by Mohawk and Carpet One Floor & Home.

[​IMG]
    COMPANY NAMES
    Clinton Company (1838-1849)

Bigelow Carpet Company (1849-1914)

Bigelow-Hartford Carpet Company (1914-1924)

Bigelow-Sanford Carpet Company (1924-1960)

Bigelow-Sanford, Inc. (1960-1988)

Karastan-Bigelow (1988-present)​
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great to catch up this morning from the latest banning. I see the drone is getting more use.
  14. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Did you misbehave in CSM? This is a much nicer site is you pretend that sewer doesn't exist. Maybe I'm projecting...
    klaviator and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Latest banning? Were you down in the sewer again? If so, here's a nice, calming shot of absolutely nothing happening, complete with 5 bored rail fans on the ground and a nice breeze at altitude to blow off any residual smell.

[​IMG]

You're welcome! :D
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, GAS GUY and 3 others like this.
  17. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been absent for awhile, lots to catch up on.

Of course the DOJ has something to say of this sale. Decades though, how many dying railroads were absorbed into one government owned entity (Conrail)? And then split into two larger lines, CSX and NS - which can't really compete with each other.
    popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On this subject, Railway Age had a recent article entitled CSX/Pan Am Merger: Pros and Cons. Personally, at my older-than-dirt age, I am just looking for more trains to chase and would prefer a greater variety of livery to photograph in the process. As for the DOJ, they should perhaps focus more on "J" and less on rail mergers unless there is some compelling reason to do otherwise..

[​IMG]
    klaviator, JRowland, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mulpus and Maynard Millpond: Below are two images taken on two consecutive days rides to get water reflection images. Both were pulled out of the archives and run through several AI apps to convert and bring out sky and other details buried in raw file. The first image below is of the Mulpus Brook in Shirley. I liked the natural beauty and symmetry of scene from the spot taken.

[​IMG]

The following day I rode out to Maynard for a picture of the millpond by what used to be the Headquarters of Digital Equipment (DEC), a really stupid company where I spent some hard time managing an engineering project.

[​IMG]

That mill could have been the HQ of the largest and most successful computer company in the world. Unfortunately, the folks at the top thought they knew things they didn't and didn't have an appreciation for what they didn't know. I bailed, taking advantage of a SERP and spent more time riding around on a motorcycle and working as a consultant for one of DEC's customers for a number of years.
    klaviator, JRowland, Chethro and 8 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Remaining Bancroft Tower Aerials: With weather keeping me in the last several days, I finally got to processing the remaining drone photos taken of the Bancroft Tower in Worcester. These are show below, circling around the tower counter-clockwise. The tower is located at coordinates 42.276500, -71.815887 on Prospect Hill near the campus of WPI.

[​IMG]

The tower was built in 1900 using horses and carriages to transport the large stones up Prospect Hill.

[​IMG]

Prospect Hill and the tower are a popular hiking spot. Forestation has mostly eliminated views of the city unless you get up into the top turret or fly a drone.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, these days the tower itself is closed for all the obvious reasons.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, JRowland, Chethro and 4 others like this.