Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A New Bit Of Kit: After decades of use (I've lost count, it could be as much as 4 or 5), I am giving up the ghost on my long-suffering tripod. In the last 7 years, it was a fixture on the redhead that I used less and less as cameras got better and faster and I got lazier.

[​IMG]

Of late, the only time the tripod came off was for long-zoom shoots that needed a solid rest and even then I'd sometimes forgo RAW for the anti-motion, jpeg option. One of the cranks broke, which slowed down set-up time, so it seemed an update in kit was called for. The solution was the following monopod - a Vanguard VEO SAM 264TR monopod, shown below.

[​IMG]

I figured it was faster to adjust one leg rather than three That coupled with nothing to crank and wi-fi camera control thru the iPhone (something that's built into all my cameras) make this monopod very attractive. I ordered it from a favorite camera supplier (i.e., B&H) and would have had it today were it not for the flooding in and around NY/NJ.
    klaviator, black 8, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Passing Through New Boston: That would be New Boston, NH, where I stopped long enough to photograph the elegant old town hall, shown below. The town hall serves a population somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 residents.

[​IMG]

With a small park next door, I launched the drone around coordinates 42.976376, -71.691081 and got an aerial pic.

[​IMG]

There's several more aerial shots to be posted when I get them converted/edited.
    klaviator, pcarreiro, Chethro and 6 others like this.
  3. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    You don't often see a church with a chimney. Do you?
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I will inspect my church photos and let you know. As you know, when these old places upgrade to new heating and AC units, they often use wall exhaust flue vents with caps instead of chimneys.
    KMichael and JackalHack like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Cheeseburger, No Coke, Pepsi: Well, that is what the sign said and what I ordered yesterday while trekking through NH. It was around 11:30 in Wilton, NH, I was hungry and Gary's restaurant was handy.

[​IMG]

With all due respect, this was no Billy Goat Tavern or Olympia Restaurant (of SNL fame) but a nice clean eatery with a good variety of food specials. The short-of-help cook and waiter apologized for being out of clams (Who isn't these days?), which was OK as I only wanted a cheeseburger, fries and a coke.

[​IMG]

Having beaten in the lunchtime crowd, the service was swift and the burger done right - neither some wafer-thin thing like the chains server nor a tennis ball shaped burger like other places seem to think is haute cuisine for the burger lunch bunch. Rather, it was a perfect 3/4 inch thick, flat burger that filled out the toasted bun and was cooked like I wanted it (i.e., medium-well). Hunger overtook the urge to take any food photos. Besides, who hasn't seen a cheeseburger?

[​IMG]

We left quite satisfied with the meal and service. People started coming in as we were leaving. Had there been a crowd, service would have been an issue. The restaurant is located at coordinates 42.843787, -71.737853. Disclaimer: We'd no knowledge of, affiliation with or interest in this place. It was just a happenstance stop where we got a good burger.
    klaviator, pcarreiro, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  6. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Did the Country Kettle survive the COVID shutdowns? I always liked breakfast, there. Especially the chipped beef on toast.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Haven't been by there at all this year or last. We breakfast out at Dinky's. Blue Belle diner, which closed in 2020 but survived and is more popular than ever..

[​IMG]

Went up to Parker's Maple Barn for breakfast this morning. Couldn't get near the place due to the crowds. There wasn't even room for a helipopter to land, as happened the last time we were there. So, we went on to get a breakfast that was as good or better. Short story to follow.
    klaviator, Chethro, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Breakfast At Gary's - No Coke, Pepsi: Another day, another expedition into NH, where we'd planned to have breakfast at Parker's Maple Barn, which is arguably one of the most popular breakfast spots in the entire state.

[​IMG]

The last time I was there was in Sep. 2019 with Kevin. People were even flying in by helicopter, landing in a field across the street.

[​IMG]

Well, this morning you couldn't get near the place. Even the field was full of cars, so we motored on to Wilton. The thought was getting breakfast at the small restaurant where we had burgers yesterday. That was a good move as the fare was as good as any thing from Parker's. I had two over easy, fried potatoes, hash and toast. I wanted the hash and taters crispy and crunchy, not mushy, and that's exactly what I got.

[​IMG]

I will go back to Parker's (coordinates 42.741088, -71.720221), get the same breakfast if I can and see it it tastes as good. Outcome TBD.
    klaviator, black 8, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Remaining New Boston Aerials: Below are three more aerials taken while passing through New Boston, NH. After getting home about 4 yesterday afternoon, I finally got them converted/edited.

[​IMG]

As the wind was quite gusty, I came down to a lower altitude for these shots, attempting to used the trees as a shield while yawing left for these three pics. The town common with the gazebo below is just west of the town hall above.

[​IMG]

West across the street from the common is the town's general store, which will be a stopping point in the future.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, zookster and 5 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Showing A Kid A Drone: When I got home yesterday afternoon, the neighbor next door's kid came running up to say "hi". I was about to carry all the camera gear in the house when I saw the kid had a look of wonder on his face, so I put the cameras down, got out the drone and gave him a quick intro to something he'd neve3r seen before.

[​IMG]

I can't remember seeing this kid smile so much as when he was watching the drone and saw the picture above in the cell phone. His mom smiled a lot also.
    klaviator, black 8, dano619 and 9 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata - A Wood Carving Studio: I've never seen this studio open. It's probably because the artist is getting up there in years, just like me.

[​IMG]

The sign by the door suggests some serious artistry goes on in there.

[​IMG]

The studio is located at coordinates 42.857050, -71.788441.
    klaviator, pcarreiro, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try knocking on the door John. Results may be very rewarding...........or not..:nod
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  13. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am not a fan of drones due to privacy issues, but I do enjoy the new perspective it allows.
    Keep it coming @popscycle
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I was volunteering at a youth lake camp a couple summers ago and some younger females not wearing very much at the waterfront were very uncomfortable with a mystery drone circling. Alberta has since enacted pretty stiff laws with respect to use over private property. Of course, folks like popscycle here and many other fine photographers at this site are not the problem.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Wanted Covered Bridge, Got Church: I was trying different launch points trying to get a reasonable view of a covered bridge. The drone, which has a mind of its own at times, seems to need an open area where it can get a GPS lock. I found an open area the drone liked in the parking lot of a hillside church across from said covered bridge. As you can see from the image below, I quickly learned that the only thing you're going to see from the air was the bridge roof.

[​IMG]

With the church having more architectural interest than the bridge roof, I landed the drone and got out the RX10.

[​IMG]

As small churches go, this was a gem, both in style/structure and setting/landscape. Thus, the drone went back up for several more shots.

[​IMG]

The house next door, which I assumed was once the rectory, was abandoned ramshackle but the church property was very neat. I wanted and got a up-close view of the frontal detail.

[​IMG]

You can see why this drone is valued for its ability to inspect structures. Had it been less windy, I would have gotten a close up of the windows. As it was, the drone was getting bounced around, sometimes as much as a foot in any direction.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    As a licensed drone user, respect for other people's property, space and privacy is paramount. I never launch from someone's property without first getting permission to do so. I never fly over someone else's property without permission. When possible, I never take a picture of anything without the owner's permission. Even when launching from a public space, I usually stop at the local police station to let them know what I am doing and get permission. So far, local police have been very supportive and helpful. Courtesy and respect for others and their property, along with abiding with FAA regulations, is needed to keep this hobby free from oppressive government regulation. To that end, there is a helpful cellphone app called B4UFLY that you can reference to check for other known restrictions.
    klaviator, JRowland, Chethro and 6 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mill Shots Need Water: With all the recent rain in the northeast, I figured this old mill would have some water flowing over its mill pond dam.

[​IMG]

In walking down to the bridge, sure enough, there was water coming over the mill pond dam.

[​IMG]

More pictures and info to follow.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Audubon Can Kiss My Mass: I got my first refusal to grant permission to use the drone to take a picture. It was at Mass Audubon's Wachusett Meadow place, shown below, that used to be the Goodnow family farmstead.

[​IMG]

Normally, I wouldn't have thought any more about it since it's their right to refuse permission; however, the lady was rather curt, snooty and unwilling to listen to what I wanted to do (e.g. give them a visual plug). Your loss, Mass Audubon - not a big loss but one nonetheless.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  19. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:

I'll bet the stained glass put out some pretty colors inside from the sunny left side.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I think I need to work at trying to get (permissible) entrance to some of these churches to capture their stained glass windows. Of the many churches we've photographed, there are some whose windows would warrant some extra work (example below).

[​IMG]
    klaviator, JRowland, zookster and 7 others like this.