Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I can never get enough of New England architecture. The building are so timeless and stately. Your recent drone shots of churches, rivers and landscapes are priceless. Unfortunately all too soon the leaves will be changing.

The NFL starts Thursday and the CFL up here is five weeks in. It all says winter is coming. Grrrrr
    JRowland, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bogeys At 12:00: I could have titled this thread "Yard Birds' but that is too innocuous for what really happened Hundreds of birds took issue with the drone being in their space and and flew at it as if attacking. What you see in the pic below is less than 10% of the number of birds that came at and around the drone.

[​IMG]

They seemed to come out of nowhere and I was almost positive they'd take the drone out. Thus, I brought it down as fast as I could. Fortunately, the drone was not hit. As a result of this encounter, I now test for birds by wasting a few minutes of battery by running around a bit at lower altitude to see if it stirs up any bogeys.
  3. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    I am laughing heartily as I write this. Amazing. Good maneuvering for a rapid landing.
    Chethro, JRowland and B10Dave like this.
  4. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:

Hmmmm........ might be a portent of things to come lol.

[​IMG]
    Chethro, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: Got one pulling into the yard.

[​IMG]

Not only that, he stopped short, giving me time to get out the RX10 and zoom in a little.

[​IMG]

When I saw the engineer or brakeman climb out of the cab and start walking back and seeming to look at couplings, I thought I might have time to scoot down to a launch area, shown below.

[​IMG]

It took me several minutes to get out the drone, synch it up with the controller and get into the air but when I did, the train hadn't moved.

[​IMG]

I probably used up about a 25% of the battery life hovering around to see if the train would start moving but it didn't. Once the drone came down and was stowed away, that's when if started moving of course.
    klaviator, JRowland, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Perspective and Police: I was up in Hancock, NH, wanting some good pics of the town's meetinghouse and church. The best spot for taking ground and aerial photos seemed to be in front of the police station so I pulled in there. It's the small building on the right below that is adjacent to the larger, town offices.

[​IMG]

Ever trying to build good will for drone photogs, I went into the station explained that I wanted a few aerial pictures and asked permission to launch from in front of the station. The officer asked a few questions and then said "sure, go ahead." The first pic was taken with the RX10, as shown below.

[​IMG]

There was a good stiff breeze but I launched and got this picture, which gives you additional perspective on the "lay of the land".

[​IMG]

You can see the pond, cemetery in back and the rare, curved horse/buggy shed behind the church/meetinghouse. The brick building to the right is called the vestry, which was once used as a church; however, I am unaware of its current use. All in all, it was a good day to be out, about and taking pictures.
  7. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Does the drone take video (or just stills)?
    B10Dave likes this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Oh, it takes videos. I am just into stills since most of the subjects/objects I take pictures of aren't moving. Also, a number of people have said they prefer stills over video for most subjects.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, JRowland, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Bridge From Above and Below: Given the ever-present allure of bridges, there was one bridge that has been difficult to get a good view of. I am speaking of the railroad bridge at the south end of Pan Am's Deerfield yard, located at coordinates 42.562424, -72.556218. There is a road that turns into a bike path just before passing under under the bridge, which is where I got the following view of the structure.

[​IMG]

Other than that, trees block any decent view of the bridge, regardless of what side of the CT river you are on. Thus, the solution is getting above it all. This is what I did by getting off the path and getting a short distance out into a farm field to launch. With a good bit of wind coming down the CR River Valley, this is the shot I got.

[​IMG]

The railroad yard is just out of the picture to the left. Being in a hurry to make all my stops, I forgot to take that picture. I did get another picture further down River Road, shown below. It gives a view of the south end of the yard. You can't see the bridge but it is right after where all the tracks switch into two off to the right.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, GAS GUY, JRowland and 6 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Mill Pics: Below are several more pictures taken at the old measures mill, located at coordinates 42.856710, -71.788394.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below is a picture I took in September of last year.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    River Reflections: Several weeks ago, I was exploring along the Blackstone River, looking for places where I might get a good photo with sky reflections. I rode down to the border with RI to the Blackstone Gorges area (not really that big of a gorge) where the dam was and got this photo.

[​IMG]

The purpose of this dam was to raise water levels for mills just upstream whose tail race water flowed back into the river downstream of the dam. Anyway, after fussing around trying to find a good place to launch (the drone is fussy about that), I got above it all and took this reflection.

[​IMG]

Thinking the dam was both interesting and perhaps a distraction (from the main purpose of getting water reflections), I turned the drone to the right, gimbaled the camera up and took this picture of the river upstream of the dam.

[​IMG]

As always, there were three parts to this adventure. One was the exploratory ride and finding a place of some interest. Second was finding the photo-taking and launch positions. Third, was the photo editing process after returning home. All three have now become equally enjoyable. As for the photos, they 're certainly not the best or most interesting; however, they were a learning experience with the whole episode being fun.
    pcarreiro, klaviator, GAS GUY and 6 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Bridge Got Covid: I was up in VT today on some favorite roads and happened by the covered bridge on the Grafton Cheese Co. property. I stopped, got permission and took a bunch of drone pics of the bridge, one of which is below.

[​IMG]

When I was talking to the guy who gave us permission, he stated that covid has been very hard on the company . Judging by the state of repair on the bridge, I can believe that. More pics of this to follow.
    klaviator, GAS GUY, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The World's Worst Meatloaf? Being in Bellows Falls, VT, I was hoping to stop for some meatloaf at the Miss Bellows Falls diner. Unfortunately, it was closed. Probably another victim of this country's stupid covid policies. Just down the street south was the Moon Dog Cafe, so I stopped there. Their special was, viola, meatloaf so I said yes. Big mistake - very big mistake. The cook must have thought he was like some artist throwing a bunch of different stuff in a skillet and calling it meatloaf. There was no loaf, just a bunch of crap between two slices of bread, shown below.

[​IMG]

The operative words in a meatloaf sandwich are slices out of a loaf of meat, not some potpourri du-jour that results in an explosion of tastes, none of which compliment each other and all of which falls out of the sandwich when you try to pick it up. Three bites and I about threw up. Even less tasteful was the tab for this pile of shit.

Miss Bellows Falls, we miss you. You knew how to make a meatloaf plate and/or sandwich. Just ask Kevin. BTW, this is what a plate of meatloaf should look like.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, Shaggie, GAS GUY and 6 others like this.
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; I know you are back to riding thanks to Kevin; but we all want to know..........any news yet about "the Redhead"? And I agree wholeheartedly with your views on meatloaf. I have a meatloaf recipe I make about once a month in the cooler months and usually pair it with mashed or even better scalloped potatoes. Mushroom and onion gravy if mashed !!!
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard a word from Kyle, who's the service mgr. at Max BMW in S. Windsor, CT. I have assumed they, like most places, are having parts issues due to all the supply chain problems. I have sent him an email asking for an update, not having any luck with a phone call. I guess the only good news is that they haven't contacted me to say the bike can't be fixed like Wagner Motorsports did.
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hancock, NH, Redux: Below are some additional pictures taken from in front of the police station during the stop in Hancock. While the drone was up taking the pic above, I yawed it 90° to the right and got a good pic of the main street through town.

[​IMG]

Yawing 90° more shows the town hall and smaller police station.

[​IMG]

Once I landed the drone, it was off across the street to get a decent pic of meetinghouse/church unique (curved) horse shed.

[​IMG]

Once that was done, we packed up and bid the town adieu.
    Chethro, zookster, jeickerman and 4 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Did A Little Wildlife Photography Today:

[​IMG]
    klaviator, Chethro, zookster and 7 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Buckland Church: Buckland is another of those towns where the population eventually shifted away from the town center to a nearby river where mill industry flourished. Often all that's left behind are a meetinghouse, church and some number of houses. Located at coordinates 42.592308, -72.790623 is the town's church, shown below.

[​IMG]

The green in front of the church was perfect for getting an aerial view.

[​IMG]

it should be noted that the population shifted to Shelburne Falls, which is jointly administered by the towns of Buckland and Shelburne. More to follow.
    pcarreiro, klaviator, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Old Schoolhouse: Diagonally across the road from the old church above is Buckland's old schoolhouse. I am guessing this is an early 1800s structure that now houses the town's historical society.

[​IMG]

An aerial view gives us this picture:

[​IMG]

Going higher up and farther back puts the schoolhouse in greater context with the area that was once the town center.

[​IMG]

The old schoolhouse is located at coordinates 42.592323, -72.791602.
    pcarreiro, klaviator, Chethro and 5 others like this.