Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The F
    The Face Off: I followed the deer with the camera as it moved around. I think it eventually got the idea that something else was out there and it froze in place looking right at where I was hiding for the longest time. Perhaps it caught the deer's eye when I moved the camera and tripod.

[​IMG]

Eventually, the deer moved off.
    klaviator, Chethro, zookster and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Landscape Of That Old Stone Church: Back in late July, we posted this pic of an old Stone Church that was abandoned when they constructed a reservoir. It is located at coordinates 42.375074, -71.782863.

[​IMG]

We went back this month and got a picture from afar that shows more of the landscape around the portion of the reservoir near the church. The church is in the center of the pic below.

[​IMG]

You get a little perspective when I yaw the drone to the left, showing the causeway across this small leg of the reservoir.

[​IMG]

Turning a little more to the left gives you an idea of the smallest portion of the reservoir.

[​IMG]

This is an area where I will chase some fall colors.
    klaviator, B10Dave, GAS GUY and 9 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Late Great Miller Falls Junction. There is a triangular railroad junction whose center point is at coordinates 42.578144, -72.492165. Once a major railroad interchange, it not serves only Pan Am and NECR. You might see a train if you camped out there for several days. I happened to catch one napping back in 2016 but have never seen one in the junction since.

[​IMG]

Below is a current aerial view of Pan Am line coming in from the east. My bike in the picture above would have been sitting just to the right of rock pile in the aerial shot below.

[​IMG]

With reference to the aerial above, I once encountered this back in 2018 sitting just to the right of where the road crosses the track above.

[​IMG]

Yawing the drone a little to the right shows where the Pan Am and NECR tracks turn to the south west, heading into the deerfield yard across the river.

[​IMG]

Turning again to the right, the view shows the road leading through the junction into downtown Millers Falls, what's left of it.

[​IMG]

Turning 90° to the right, there's the tracks that head north over the Millers River bridge.

[​IMG]

On the ground, the approach to the bridge above looks like this, below.

[​IMG]

This was a practice mission to get an idea if this area would be ripe for fall color shots. Am not sure of that.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda, Errata & Miscellany: I pulled off the road just long enough to get out the camera and grab a pic of this once-fine old manse up in NH. In retrospect, I should have gotten more shots of it, along with its GPS location.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, pcarreiro, klaviator and 9 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mother & Child: I put a little more effort (i.e., patience and staying quite still) into getting this wildlife shot.

[​IMG]

As you might suspect, I was at or near the RX10's max focal length of 600 mm. I use optical zoom only and don't use digital zoom, which can deteriorate photo quality.
    Shaggie, klaviator, Chethro and 10 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda, Errata & Miscellany: Just a miscellaneous aerial snap taken of the abandoned feed and grain mill while I was up in the air looking over the rail yard.

[​IMG]

I accidentally got a video of the liftoff but don't have any video editing knowledge or software to make make it reasonably sized.
  7. snorkie

snorkie I"m a nice guy.

Oddometer:
    Upload your video to YouTube and let them deal with the huge size :) Per the editing, I have had luck with Cyberlink Power Director. Its not too expensive and easy to learn. It isn't an Adobe product, but good enough!
    popscycle likes this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Greatly appreciate the tip @snorkie . I downloaded the free version of Cyberlink to give it a test drive. A long time ago in another life, I'd used Adobe Premiere , tried it again several days ago and didn't care for it. Thanks again!
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bellows Falls Was Calling: Several days back, I was motoring through Bellows Falls VT and stopped by what's left of their old rail yard and train stations. I wanted to see if the old Budd diesel cars (where Kevin and I had our cougar adventure) were still there. They weren't but a lot of tank cars were.

[​IMG]

I then took to the air for a little more perspective and got this shot:

[​IMG]

I found the Budd cars. They had been hauled on up the line above, across the river and into the yard just across the river in NH. I spotted them at or around coordinates 43.131961, -72.437805.
    klaviator, zookster, Chethro and 2 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A View Of Nothing Moving: While up taking snots of the feed/grain mill, I took some shots of the yard, one of which was the power at the (sanding) tower.

[​IMG]

I do find it interesting to see what's in the yard. Looking back to where the roundhouse once stood:

[​IMG]

Looking at this makes me want my electric train back. But then, I remember I sold it to get my first scoot. Such is life.
  11. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I’m really enjoying the drone shots as an options because the picture is suddenly so much broader. The rolling green hills and backgrounds really enhance the scenes.

Edit: I’m eager to see such work when the leaves are changing in said hills.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The B.F. Diamond: That would be the railroad crossover on the canal island in Bellows Falls, VT, shown below.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 43.136588, -72.445257, the diamond is where the Green Mountain Railroad comes in across the canal bridge on the left while NECR and Amtrak (Vermonter) cross the CT River bridge on the right. Below is an aerial view.

[​IMG]

This was a bustling, busy junction up until the latter part of the 20th century but now has all the action of a graveyard. Some pictures of the bridges to follow.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That Green Mountain Railroad Bridge: That would be the one to the left in the picture above at coordinates 43.136640, -72.446463. I figured it was about time I took a good look at it, starting with the eastern side above.

[​IMG]

I took the road around to the other side and walked down the the roadbed.

[​IMG]

I went out on the tracks, which is probably safer than the average sidewalk, to get the following picture. It shows the Greem Mountain station down the tracks, which used to be a scenic train stop.

[​IMG]

Below is a little closer view.

[​IMG]

Once upon a time, Steamtown was in Bellows Falls and ran steam trains from the station above along the CT and Williams rivers to Chester, VT. Back in Sept. 2014, I happened to catch a Green Mountain train in Chester.\

[​IMG]

As I recall, the GMRR has two engines, the ALCO above and a GP and is now part of Vermont Rail System of 5 railroads.
    B10Dave, klaviator, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Of The Covered Bridge With Covid: Below are the remaining pictures of an organization's private covered bridge that has suffered from the covid stupidity.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 43.166299, -72.613119, it is on the Grafton Village Cheese Co. property, where I got permission to take pictures and use the drone.

[​IMG]

In comparing the aerials above and below, I am thinking the angular, rather than the broadside, shot makes for a better picture. I would, of course value your opinion.

[​IMG]

This is another spot I will try to visit in a week or two when fall colors appear.
    B10Dave, klaviator, Chethro and 4 others like this.
  15. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Angular presents a more interesting picture overall for me.
    Chethro, JackalHack and popscycle like this.
  16. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Did you get to the diner?
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately Miss Bellows Falls diner was closed. None of that good meatloaf you snarfed down the last time we were there.

[​IMG]

More unfortunately, however, was that I went several doors south of the diner to a crap joint called the Moon Dog Cafe. Their meat loaf was the kind of stuff that would make you toss your meat loaf - an explosion of tastes, none of which complimented each other. At the time, I thought shit would taste better, not that I've ever eaten any
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    One Aerial Pic: I've an affinity for old grist mills and there's a gem in Bellows falls - the Frank Adams Grist and Feed Mill. I taken lots of pictures inside and out, such as the one below taken several years back.

[​IMG]

Wanting to get an aerial of the place, I stopped by the other day and found the property too hemmed in by trees to get a decent shot. Instead I went for the a picture of the "headhouse", which is the cupola on top where grain is directed into various chutes or bins.

[​IMG]

Now I can say I've a picture of an old mill headhouse (so named because it contains the conveyor drive head). By the way, this 1831 grist mill is located at coordinates43.132405, -72.443013. Nearly demolished once, the interior and machinery have all been preserved, one example of which is shown in the recently-converted photo below.

[​IMG]

Like many things, the covid stupidity has seemingly shut this place down.
    B10Dave, klaviator, Chethro and 6 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda, Errata & Miscellany: Not knowing if I have any photos of a hydroelectric station's turbine, I took this one.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, klaviator, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  20. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Is this a museum, now?