Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The sign say so but not that you'd know otherwise. When I was in there last, the place had a lot of old time stuff in addition to all the mill mechanicals. Below is an example of stuff I found in the basement.

[​IMG]

I am thinking this building has become a repository for stuff collected by the town's historical society, which was formed to preserve this old mill. Thus, it is a museum.
    B10Dave, klaviator, Rjones and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Short Line, Shorter Roster: I was first introduced to the Millford-Bennington Railroad line back in 2017 when a group of speeders came by and their club flag man told me who ran the line.

[​IMG]

He told me the Milford - Bennington Railroad line's sole purpose was to haul stone from a quarry in South Lyndenboro to Granite State Concrete in Milford. The line's engine roster lists one EMD SW9. I never did see it until a day last week when I wasn't looking for it. I found the engine in Wilton by accident when turning around by the old RR station.

[​IMG]

The locomotive was parked behind some stores on Main Street. Somebody had parked it in the shade, locked it up and (probably) gone to lunch.

[​IMG]

This was the one time in 5 years when I had been by the tracks and not though a thing about their engine. It should be noted that Pan Am owns part of the line they run on and are not happy about being forced to let MBRR run on it.
    B10Dave, klaviator, zookster and 4 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Return To Stickney Brook: Whenever near Dummerston,VT, stopping along Stickney Brook is a must and something I'd recommend to any rider. Just a few yards off Rt. 30 is an area of the brook called Jelly Mill Falls. This unofficial name comes from the fact that there was once a jelly mill at the foot of the falls. I stopped by several days ago.

[​IMG]

The "falls" is actually a series of smaller water cascades flowing down stepped ledges of granite into the West River. If you wanted, you could walk/climb up and down the falls with a little effort.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.914904, -72.614924; the area could be quite photogenic when fall colors appear (soon).
    B10Dave, klaviator, zookster and 5 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    JRowland, klaviator, zookster and 3 others like this.
  5. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Any chance you can get aerials of the quarry?
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    After stumbling onto the parked locomotive in Wilton, NH, I looked into what might make a good train shot or "show your bike with a train" photo. Two places that would make for a more interesting photo would be at the quarry loading tipple or concrete plant. The hopper car loading tipple is at coordinates 42.864028, -71.766414. From the sat photos, the quarry complex isn't much to look at - not like the granite quarries up in VT. Anyway, until i get back up there again, my last photo (below) of that EMD will have to suffice as any MBRR train fix.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, JRowland, Chethro and 6 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Inside The Engine House: It was one of those fortuitous moments when the adventure gods smile at you. Having often wondered what was in the old engine house shown below, the last time by I saw the door windows/ were wide open.

[​IMG]

To me, open widows can be an invitation to stick a camera in to snap what's inside as long as you're in a public place and not intruding on anyone's privacy. Looking inside, I didn't think the vehicles would mind so I took the following pic.

[​IMG]

That supposed-fire truck looked like something hobbled together with parts from an antique store.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Something Was Not Right Here: I took a good number of pictures while flying around around above the old rail yard in Bellows Falls, VT. Just now getting around to processing the rest of them, I got the feeling that something wasn't quite right. Below is the picture that triggered that thought. The building in the center of the picture is the Green Mountain Railroad station, which was a stop on the scenic trains that ran from Chester to Bellows Falls.

[​IMG]

It was the photo taken while flying closer to the station (below) that helped me remember.

[​IMG]

Just above the station cupola is a road leading up the hill, turning to the right. Note the green area on the left side of the curving road. There was a large paper mill complex in that space and beyond - the Robertson Paper Co. shown below in a 2015 photo.

[​IMG]

Apparently decades of paper making had contaminated the building and area with lead, arsenic, asbestos, petroleum and other toxic compounds. That being the case, the historic old structure apparently couldn't be saved, was demolished and the area cleaned up/remediated. I found a discussion of the remediation and salvage effort by Longleaf Lumber, which was one of the contractors in the salvage effort. Longleaf had a picture taken inside one of the mill buildings, shown below.

[​IMG]
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Thing: Photographed yesterday, your guess as to what it was is as good as any.

[​IMG]

It appears to have a collar, one ear and the semblance of some legs
    Chethro, JRowland, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  10. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a find. Rusty gold.
    popscycle and JRowland like this.
  11. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    You have a good eye and a keen memory.
    Chethro, popscycle and JRowland like this.
  12. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:

The old mill is owned by the local historical society, who saved it from demolition many years ago. According to their website, they store part of their historic farm equipment collection there, perhaps in the basement where you took the photo. The site also says that the mill is completely intact and that tours are on Saturdays. Seemingly no mention of a covid shutdown on their site. Thanks for posting about this mill. I love old grist mills. Used to be a working one in northern NY near the VT border, whose owner had his own tool collection on display (and very nicely done). Sadly, last time I went by it looked to not be operating any longer.
    popscycle, JRowland and KMichael like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Old Crane: Below is an aerial pic of a really old crane - one that used the mechanical advantage of pulleys and leverage for lifting power.

[​IMG]

It's at the Measure Mill in Wilton, NH, which is on the national register of historic places.
    zookster, klaviator, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing some form of indigenous totem pole.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  15. JackalHack

JackalHack Perpetually confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since it appears to be a functional crane, maybe an ingenious totem pole.
    :lol3
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, there was another picture of this indigenous totem for me to look at more carefully.

[​IMG]

Seeing as how the the pole had 5 substantial guy wires stretching into other census areas (slight exaggeration - see pic below), I am thinking the old mill had the challenge of getting heavy indigenous logs up to the mill and needed this apparatus to totem.

[​IMG]
    zookster, Chethro, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Regular Visitors: There are somewhere around a half dozen deer that find the woods behind the house to be a comfortable dining spot. Of late, these two show up around the same time every evening before dusk.

[​IMG]
    zookster, Chethro, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Has it ever crossed your mind to put out oats or such for your furry neighbours, particularly in the winter? We have a lot of rabbits here around the lake within a city. Lord only knows how they manage the winters. I put out bagged salads and it doesn’t last long.
    popscycle and KMichael like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Measure Mill Meandering Moments: Some days ago, I finally stopped by Fryes Measure Mill at a time when it was open. You may recall that Fryes was/is an old, picturesque, water-powered manufacturing mill out in the boondocks of Wilton, NH, at coordinates 42.856710, -71.788394.

[​IMG]

The door was open and inviting. I was looking forward to seeing what was inside the place.

[​IMG]

The first thing you see going inside is a display of their products. They're called boxes, some of which are called measures when made to a specific capacity (e.g. 1, 2, 4 8 quarts). You can see the measures among the boxes pictured below. They are the round ones in the upper left of the picture with volume markings.

[​IMG]

The part of the mill you can see is mostly all gift shop; however, I did get to peek into one closed-off area and get this pic.

[​IMG]

Measures were big before the widespread use of modern scales. Now, they're mostly used as decorator items and for decorative storage. I did learn the water power mechanisms were no longer operative because of a log jam in the turbine; however, they've a fund to get it all restored. This is all good stuff for those of us who like old mills. Just look at those gorgeous old floors!
    Blader54, zookster, Chethro and 7 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    zookster, Chethro, B10Dave and 4 others like this.