Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keeping Me Down: In the basement, that is. Weather and no bike has been keeping me down in the shop. I've been asked again this year to make Christmas remembrance ornaments - Am making what seems like a ton of them out of 1/8 x 4 x 24 in. sheets of walnut, purchased S2S from a supplier. I usually do them in batches of 24 in a day, ending with engraving as shown below.

[​IMG]

As of this afternoon, I am about 75% done with the cutting out and engraving. I will start the oil finish process (using Waterlox) after that.

As for the redhead, I stopped by Max BMW in S. Windsor on Tuesday and learned they've not worked on it yet. Kyle said they were way backed up, in some sort of transition and only one wrench in back.
    zookster, Chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Forgotten Village: Most villages in New England began as agrarian settlements in the late 1600s and early 1700s. Over time, there were often population shifts away from the original village to areas near rivers and railroads. Railroads grades often followed rivers, for all the obvious reasons. One such village was Wilton, NH, whose original settlement is now called Wilton West Village. The village is located at and around coordinates 42.831374, -71.776253. The two village structures of some historical significance are the old meeting hall and church. The church, built in 1860, replaced a 1775 meetinghouse destroyed by fire in 1859.

[​IMG]

Below is an aerial view of the church, which is still active.

[​IMG]

Adjacent to and just south of the church is the old town hall that, like the church, was also constructed after the 1859 fire.

[​IMG]

The hall has been a children's summer playhouse (theater) since around 1985. It is now closed due to covid. Below is the aerial view thereof.

[​IMG]

The area around these two structures is quite scenic and peaceful with beautiful older homes and farms.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda, Errata & Miscellany - Pound Found: Well the old town animal pound (ca. 1700s) wasn't really lost. We knew where it was. What we found, or noticed, was that an old hearse house was perfectly framed in the pound gate. Made me wonder -

[​IMG]

You had to pay to get your stray animals out of the pound. You had to pay for a church pew. i wonder if you had to pay to get your last ride in the hearse.
    zookster, KMichael, Chethro and 6 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Batty About The Belfry: The craftsmanship used to construct some 17th and 18th century church steeples and their belfry components can be interesting (to some of us). They all catch my attention but one more than others. Using the modern investigative conveniences of a zoom lens and drone, I was able to get a good look at it, starting with a ground view zoom.

[​IMG]

Using all of the camera's focal length, I got this shot.

[​IMG]

Launching the drone yielded shots like this:

[​IMG]

You have to admire the carpentry skills of the men who built this.
    B10Dave, klaviator, zookster and 7 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I Screwed Up #1: Twice now I've gone out to take photos with the drone, changed the camera setting from video (the default) to photo only to have it switch back once I launched. My first reaction when seeing these while downloading was , "Aw Shit!" Somewhere down the line of "Aw crap" mutterings I thought videos could be useful for dynamically investigating something I was taking photos of. So, when handed lemons, I tried learn to make lemonade. It's a little sour but I got the job done.

I was photographing a 1751 farmstead, whose house and outbuildings have been well-preserved. More on that to follow but here is the video that was recording while I was trying to position the drone for some photos.

Please excuse the music, titles and jerky motion. I'd no idea what I was doing.
    B10Dave, KMichael, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Screwup #2: Another time I got video instead of photos was near Pan Am's Deerfield RR yard. I was position the drone to get a GPS lock and get up over the trees. At no time were the drone or I in or above the yard proper.

Henceforth, there will be no more screw up videos posted. If I do another video, it will be by intent and attempting to give a more complete view of something photographed.
    B10Dave, KMichael, zookster and 3 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I did a free trial of Premier, Premier Rush and Cyberlink and ended up with Cyberlink. You were quite right - it was easy to learn and is certainly good enough. I probably wouldn't have tried it had you not mentioned it. Thanks!!
    snorkie and KMichael like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Structure Identified: The structure by the Deerfield, MA, Pan Am rail yard has finally been identified. Shown in the aerial shot below, it was once the MA Farm Bureau's feed and grain mill.

[​IMG]

Next time by, I will see if I can do an aerial survey of the entire structure. Seeming to be falling apart, I don't think it will be around much longer.
    B10Dave, KMichael, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Wilder Homestead - Ground View: I am guessing there are not many 1700s-era farmsteads still standing in this country. One that is, however, is in Buckland, MA, at coordinates 42.599763, -72.779089. The home was uilt in 1751 by Gardner Wilder (No connection to Laura Ingalls Wilder).

[​IMG]

The farmhouse is a classic, Georgian colonial saltbox where the rear roof slopes farther down the the front roof section. I understand that 8 generations of the family lived here until about 1981.

[​IMG]

The barn is post and beam with a later equipment shed extension that used traditional framing.

[​IMG]
    The Wilder farmstead is now the property of the Buckland Historical Society. Aerial photos to follow.
    B10Dave, KMichael, klaviator and 7 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Wilder Homestead - Aerial View: With not many 1700s-era farmsteads still standing in this country, I also took several aerial photos of the property shown in the previous post. These follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, KMichael, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: Caught this one waiting to cross the diamond.

[​IMG]

Once the above started to move, another NCR was coming off the CSX side and had to hold.

[​IMG]

I managed to get all three locomotives in the pic, if not perfectly.

[​IMG]

It was a happy face time. One of the engineers encouraged me to get the drone out. I did later and produced a video but it is a little jerky in spots and I am not ready to to post it. Better to go back and do it right.
    The Opa, Chethro, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I so miss that architecture. An old building here is 100 years give or take.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    JRowland, KMichael, zookster and 4 others like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    And here I assumed all Flying Merkels were orange.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I also thought they were, suggesting that restoration took a different color tack.
    KMichael likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Red Head Isn't Dead: I heard from Kyle at Max BMW this afternoon, which sent me scurrying into the archives to retrieve an October picture of the girl for what I am about to post.

[​IMG]

Contrary to those gloomy Wagnerian reports, the redhead is basically healthy. Kyle sent me a message saying the motor was in excellent condition with good compression numbers in both cylinders. It seems that other shit dealer never fixed the left coil like they said they did so Max had to order one. Kyle also said the bike is throwing codes for the throttle valve and they want to make sure it's not a function of the bad coil before diving into that. He also said the plugs need replacing. There is a chance I could get in some October riding. That would be great.
  17. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    Great news!
    JRowland, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  18. Fordfixer

Fordfixer Semi Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Bad ignition coils can throw engine control moduals into pretty weird faults
    popscycle likes this.
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    This is a great update.
    JRowland likes this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps only V Twin Merkel's were orange? Good news on the RedHead
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.