Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Milling Around: Got this shot of a well-cared-for, classic, New England mill at coordinates 42.842636, -71.738917.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Village Greenery: Several aerial pictures taken at altitude around the village green. These were taken as part of an exercise to find the best views for foliage shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should weather oblige, we will do this again when the leaves turn, using what we learned.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shunting And The Shove - An Intentional Video: I set out the other morning to purposely make and post a video, using the very limited knowledge I have. It was a learning experience that I am sharing with you. The challenge was to condense what happened over a half hour period into a 5 minute segment showing NECR shunting and shoving cars.

In the future, I am thinking videos could supplement photos when exploring a structure of other object of interest. Any and all feedback on this will be appreciated.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Along the Souhegan: Below are four aerial views along the Souhegan River, starting clockwise from due north. I had done this earlier but it was very hazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the first pic is the pick of the bunch, as far as depicting a New England scene.
    klaviator, KMichael, Shaggie and 7 others like this.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the videos along with the stills. Keep 'em comin' John.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Siege, My Liege: Some weapons with which to storm the castle at the now (seemingly) abandoned Yankee Siege park.

[​IMG]

More picture to follow on this one when I get them converted.
    KMichael, JRowland, zookster and 2 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Siege, My Liege - Part 2: What I am capturing in pictures here is an abandoned, adult amusement park where big boys gathered to throw and break things. It is known at the Yankee Siege and I go back every year or two to see how the place is faring. They've no put up posted/no trespassing signs so I stayed out on this day and sent the drone in for the following shots.

[​IMG]

The crane and giant, spiked headache ball was used to smash things, especially cars that would then be tossed by the big trebuchet, which is now missing parts. The tower on the far right below was the concession stand.

[​IMG]

High on the agenda of park activities was besieging the castle on the hill with pumpkins, known as pumpkin chunkin. The ammunition was grown in the field between the park and the castle.

[​IMG]

More to follow. I received permission to access the grounds today from the caretaker, Chris. That resulted in videos, one of which is a castle fly-by.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: Caught another NECR moving after the phone ran out of juice (i.e., the drone app drains the iPhone and I wasn't paying attention) and this was the pic I liked from the RX10.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Siege, My Liege - Part 3: After gaining permission to enter the grounds yesterday, I took three short videos, one of the park, shown below, and two of the castle area (TBD). It should be noted that I am still learning and refining/adjusting the drone's controls for smoother movement.

More to follow.
    KMichael, Chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  11. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I’m really going to love that drone when the leaves are changing your way. Ours are mostly changed here and blowing down the streets. Baseball regular season ends this weekend. The seasons are changing. ☹️
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Streamside In Lower NH: Fall colors are coming fast judging by what I saw streamside up in NH yesterday.

[​IMG]
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Gusty Village Green: With the bike in the shop awaiting parts, I drove to one of the windier places not to far away to test the drone and practice control skills in gusty conditions. That place was Princeton, MA, which was once a thriving, higher-altitude resort town with many hotels and inns around the village green, all of which are now gone.

[​IMG]

I launched the Skydio about 6 ft. to the right of the rock. The video is below. I cut portions where the drone just hovered for a bit, which did to see how well it held position in the gusts.

The drone did better than I did. I need more practice.
  14. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    You are quick study. These videos are quite good and well put together!
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kinds words and encouragement. I don't feel like I know very much yet and wonder if people find such videos interesting.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Siege, My Liege - Part 3: What I am capturing in pictures here is an abandoned, adult amusement park where big boys gathered to break and throw things, especially pumpkins at a castle with a huge trebuchet, shown below in this 2019 photo. As I recall it holds the world record for tossing distance.

[​IMG]

Aside from that there are some interesting and somewhat inexplicable artifacts laying around the place. One is the smokehouse-like structure with a plank extending out over the pond, shown below. What was that all about?

[​IMG]

Among all the artifacts, the main object of my interest was the castle atop the pumpkin hill, shown in the background below.

[​IMG]

The break came when caretaker Chris rode up, saw what I was doing (i.e., photography) and gave me permission to go onto the property. I thought a ground and air exploration of the castle would be interesting. I will post that later today after I get my chores done, video processed and uploaded.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Siege, My Liege - Part 4, The Castle: What I have been capturing in pictures is an abandoned, adult amusement park where big boys gathered to break and throw things, especially pumpkins at a castle with a huge trebuchet. I had been given permission by the caretaker to drive into the back of the property to photograph the castle and watchtower. The plan was to inspect the castle by air and then walk up and take photos from the ground. First up is the fly-by.

Below are the pics taken from the ground, starting at the bottom of hill in back of the castle.

[​IMG]

Below is the back of the castle.

[​IMG]

Below is the front. It has a subterranean entrance and dungeon below. What a great place for kids to play, be they young with wooden swords or older with trebuchets and pumpkins!

[​IMG]

Looking down the hill from the castle front towards the siege park.

[​IMG]

One final video of the watch tower to follow.
    klaviator, Chethro, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, Chethro, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Good News: Kyle called late last week and said the Redhead was all fixed and well. Lynn's been sick (flu but not covid), hadn't been tending her phone so I just learned today. I am hoping Max can deliver it. If not, I have to hitch a ride somehow. Anyway, there's hope for fall foliage rides., Yea!
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Siege, My Liege - Part 4, The Tower: What I have been capturing in pictures is an abandoned, adult amusement park where big boys gathered to break and throw things, especially pumpkins at a castle with a huge trebuchet. I had been given permission by the caretaker to drive into the back of the property to photograph the castle and watchtower. The plan was to inspect the castle by air and then walk up and take photos from the ground. The last major artifact back there was the watchtower. I took a zoom photo of the tower, shown below.

[​IMG]

After looking at the photo, a quick drone flight seems appropriate.

Thus, we conclude this year's archeological trek to Greenfield.
    klaviator, Chethro, pcarreiro and 5 others like this.