Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Train Fix - Catching The Local: One behavioral change during the redhead's absence was an increased willingness to hang with other rail fans and wait for something to roll by. At the Palmer diamond, there's almost always a CSX local moving cars to and from the siding where exchanges are made with NECR and Mass Central. Such was the case on two different days.

[​IMG]

A week later, I caught it moving again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can never have too many locomotive pictures. Also, there are often a half dozen older folks train watching at the station, several of whom take videos of passing trains. When they have their tripods set up, I've a clue that something's coming.
    klaviator, ArielNut, Chethro and 4 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Max Comes Through: Kudos to Max BMW (S. Windsor) Kyle, John, et. al. The redhead came home today around 1:30 PM. Just in time for fall foliage.

[​IMG]

The problem was exactly what I had originally told Wagner it was - a bad coil. Wagner's problem was they were unable to figure out which coil was bad and subsequently messed things up to the point the bike was dangerous (i.e., alternately revving and dying with total loss of throttle control). Max fixed the problem in the time frame they said they could (they were/are short-handed like many places) and I now have two, good, warrantied coils. The bike runs as sweet as it ever did. It was hard putting the redhead in the garage. She wanted to go.

[​IMG]

We are thankful to have some riding days left and a bike to ride.
    klaviator, ArielNut, GAS GUY and 14 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, ArielNut, GAS GUY and 8 others like this.
  4. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    That's great news. Finally.
    JRowland, popscycle and Chethro like this.
  5. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!
    JRowland, popscycle and Chethro like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some Notes On Getting Back On The Road: As I was getting my gear back on the redhead for a 100 mile test ride earlier this afternoon, there were two items that might be of interest to others. First was the issue of the iPhone mount, shown below.

[​IMG]

Apple has advised iPhone owners not to do this as it might damage the phone's camera. There's an article on it HERE. Personally, I don't care since the pic on this old iPhone is crap (comparatively) anyway, perhaps because i've had it on the handlebars for years. It also looks I will soon need to replace the phone's protective glass.

The second item that may be of interest to the photogs among us, is the replacement of a tripod with a much lighter and more convenient monopod as shown below.,

[​IMG]

The tripod was old, going back to amateur photography work I did back in the days of SLR cameras and Ektachrome (i.e., the 1960s). It was also clumsy and slow to set up. By contrast, the monopod comes off the bike fast and is a snap to set up. I will use it for zoom shots with the RX10 and terrestrial video with the RX100.
    klaviator, zookster, GAS GUY and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shots From The Road: The weather cleared this afternoon. With temps in the low 60s, it seemed like the perfect time to give the redhead a post-op shakedown ride. Below are some of the pics taken during this ride around local area roads. First, though, you gotta get out of town and we've some nice roads for that.

[​IMG]

Once out of Dodge, it is time for some back roads. Some of my favorites were pure mud so I limited myself to paved and hardpack gravel. The hardpack was damp, potholed and snotty in places. At lower areas, it was slippery, as was the case when I continued on down the hill shown below.

[​IMG]

After what seemed like months with no bike, even the more mundane pave roads seemed like nirvana.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow.
    klaviator, ArielNut, zookster and 7 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Through The Slough: Taken on yesterday's ride, the colors are starting to pop in places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water level in this swampy area was relatively high for this time of year.

[​IMG]

More to follow.
    klaviator, zookster, GAS GUY and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Picture I Am Happy With: There are not many of my photos that I am really happy with: however, this one is an exception. I really like the way it turned out.

[​IMG]
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not The Best Old Structure, But Old and Good Enough: Below is the Bigelow Tavern, built in the 1770s.

[​IMG]

The old tavern is located at coordinates 42.365256, -71.781323 and is now the home of the town's historical society.

[​IMG]

The attic has an intriguing artifact.

11. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Very well done, and it gave me goosebumps as I just heard about Bathsheba Ruggles Spooner, 2 days ago, for the first time and poked around the internet finding more of her fascinating story.
    JRowland and KMichael like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words about the video. On today's outing, I hope to find and photograph the spot where Bathsheba's lovers threw Mr. Spooner's corpse into his well. As someone wrote:

It is hard to imagine a story more dramatic, involving illicit love, betrayal, murder and execution played out against the backdrop of the Revolutionary War. - D. Navas.
    Bathsheba's father, Timothy Ruggles, was a piece of work too, but that's another story.
    JRowland, KMichael and ShOqUePoT like this.
  13. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Brookfield I believe? I hope you find it! I told a co-worker about the story and he found a link to a recorded, live at the time, radio broadcasted play from the 50's dramatizing the murder and trial. Fascinating what is out there. Stopped at your favorite pastry haunt this morning; I keep thinking I'll run into you there one day.
    JRowland and KMichael like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I found the well. Also, I rode by the tasty pastry sometime around noon today on my way to investigate Ruggles place in Hardwick. Got pictures of both. Post to follow
    JRowland, zookster and ShOqUePoT like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ding Dong Bell, Spooner's In The Well: Well, perhaps that's what Bathsheba thought when she had her three lovers murder her husband. I first learned of Bathsheba Ruggles Spooner from the fact there were wall drawings of her 1778 hanging in the attic of the old (1700s) Bigelow Tavern, shown below.

[​IMG]

Given how many people supposedly attended Bathsheba's hanging, I suspect one took to drawing what he or she saw on the tavern's attic wall. After learning of this event, I had to look into it. This is some of what I found:

On this day (July 2) in 1778, an intelligent and high-spirited beauty from Brookfield became the first woman to be executed in the new American republic. The 32-year-old's crime was indeed horrific: she had arranged for the cold-blooded murder of her husband by three soldiers who fell under her spell. But Bathsheba Spooner was also a victim. She was trapped by social mores that allowed no escape from an abusive husband. Condemned for her Loyalist sympathies, she was rushed to judgment by a community fearful of civil disorder. On the scaffold she declared that "she justly died; that she hoped to see her Christian friends she left behind her, in Heaven, but that none of them might go there in the ignominious manner that she did." Source.
    The story behind the story is even more interesting and telling. Bathseba's doting father was a loyalist who enjoyed high social and civil standing. Seeing trouble brewing (i.e., the colonials beating the British), Rubbles sought to shore up his social standing by urging his daughter to marry a prominent local named Joshua Spooner. Unfortunately, Spooner was an abusive man and events took place that brought Ezra Ross, a wounded soldier, onto the scene. Ezra and Ross had an affair that resulted in a pregnancy and an untenable situation for Bathsheba, who coerced two other British deserters into murdering her husband. They threw Spooner's body into the well.

Wanting to see where that happened, I located the road the well was on earlier today but got bad coordinates on the exact location. Searching up and down both sides of the road found nothing.

[​IMG]

Just about to give up, I stopped by a house where some guy was out mowing and asked him if he knew where the Spooner Well was. He had no idea but his wife did and said it was just down the road on the right. I found it.

[​IMG]

The well is at coordinates 42.221548, -72.094766.

[​IMG]

There you have it. A contemptible, drunken, philandering, abusive ass gets murdered and stuffed down a well, his beauteous and high-spirited wife and her lovers get hung until dead and her high-ranking, loyalist/Tory father gets run out of the country to die in Canada.
    klaviator, The Opa, pcarreiro and 8 others like this.
  16. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I've read some reports that (of course?) don't mention her husband as being abusive and also say that Bathsheba was crazier than a bedbug, to paraphrase. It must have been unusual for a woman, with a few kids, back then to have an affair with a boy half her age.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Perhaps ... they all got what they deserved.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting old building with a fascinating history John. Thanks for these pictures.
    Chethro, JRowland and KMichael like this.
  19. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    The 5 month old boy in the womb was dealt a pretty bad card...
    JRowland and GAS GUY like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just Happy To Be Riding Again: The last couple of days have been enjoyable with good weather and a good bike that is running well. I did manage to get to some places and take some road pics while enroute. Road pics involve getting the RX100 out of the tank bag (with hand through the strap), grabbing the shot and putting it back. All of these were taken while riding north on Rt 140, mostly to see how they would turn out ( I changed some of the camera's settings).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People unfamiliar with the area would be well-advised to avoid Rt 140 from south of Grafton, MA, to north of Shrewsbury, MA during rush hour, especially the evening rush hour. Aside from commuters, the route is laden with trucks from UPS, FedX and other trucking firms along that road.

[​IMG]

The little camera was working well.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 5 others like this.