Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Such a perfect camp spot.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Color On The Trail: The redhead and I spent some hours on the Mohawk Trail today and we saw a bit of color along the way.

[​IMG]

There's some motion blur as picture was taken at speed. More to follow.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    From The Gold Age Of Tourist Traps: Below is an artifact from the days of tourist trap gift shops, this one with a unique draw - a viewing tower. The Long View Gift Shop opened in 1924, as American was starting to get its wheels. Having gone through several owners, it finally closed in 2010. The city of Greenfield foreclosed on the property in 2014 but it was redeemed in 2018 and finally sold at auction to pay the owner's other tax debts.

[​IMG]

I took the picture today at speed (about 55 mph) as I was riding west on the Mohawk Trail. The old gift shop is located at coordinates 42.596035, -72.633759.
  4. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    885F61DE-B0D8-4C50-9DE4-C2BE3EFE72E5.jpeg 680CA666-BE1A-451C-A88B-539B72DE892C.jpeg 211E0657-C526-40BD-9C61-862CB9CC2847.jpeg 25025BAF-A67E-4663-B4D3-3E684136D7D7.jpeg New toy for autumn shenanigans.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    klaviator and KMichael like this.
  6. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    I’ll get both front and rear racks in the spring. A tank bag can go between my feet and I can wear a back pack. I don’t go very far any more like years ago to Utah, Texas, California, etc. But, it does highway speeds with ease.

I use a walker on foot so half the bike weight here is a life changer. Riding was never the issue but maneuvering on foot was dangerous. 3 years ago I broke my collarbone moving the Sportster out of my parking space on foot - losing the entire summer.

Please forgive the sidetrack.
    KMichael, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  7. Fordfixer

Fordfixer Semi Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I miss the tourist trap days. Some were very interesting.Some not so much. Did much traveling with my parents visiting relatives in New England. (The Boston States) 50's-60's early 70's
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I've a good bit of nostalgia about them. We've a couple left, like the one below.

[​IMG]

I took an aerial photo of the indian with the drone this year. It's somewhere.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Along The Deerfield: I took a somewhat longer ride yesterday. It was about 200 miles, most of which was on the Mohawk Trail (i.e., Rt. 2), which follows the Deerfield River valley for a while west of the CT River. Below are three photos taken along that River, the first of which below was taken at speed (50 mph) on the Trail. It has some motion blur.

[​IMG]

The following two pictures were taken on the river roads that follows the Deerfield River from the VT border down to where it flows under RT 2 near Charlemont, MA.

[​IMG]

Traffic was relatively light on Rt2 and nonexistent on the river roads. It may be a bit too early for the leaf peepers this far South.

[​IMG]

The day was a gift of a great ride with clear skies and temps in the high 50s to low 60s. Perhaps we will try a little farther north today.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color In New Hampshire: The redhead and I were plying the back roads of NH today and came across some local color.

[​IMG]

More to follow:
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hooning At The Haunted Hoosac: Given a nice October day, I will ride the northern part of the state, enjoying the whatever foliage color there is and eventually stop by the Hoosac Tunnel to pay my respects to whatever ghosts may be around.

[​IMG]

In lieu of any scrunching of gravel by tires, this time we egg-beatered some fall air with drone props.

While up, we also got a snapshot or two.

[​IMG]

I am still fighting the impatient urge to hurry the shots and videos and get back to riding.
    klaviator, KMichael, The Opa and 7 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We Will Cross That Bridge When We Come To It: And not get off the bike to pose it. Below are just some ordinary bridge shots taken lately in the hinterlands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Waterwheel Is Gone, Long Live The Waterwheel: Last year, I encountered a ramshackle water wheel out in the middle of nowhere and never learned what its purpose was.

[​IMG]

Earlier this afternoon, I rode by the spot again only to find it gone and the property posted.

[​IMG]

Another bit of history, however small and insignificant, is gone.
  14. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Under the circumstances, why not just leave the wheel there as a bit of history? A conversation piece.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    This Is Only A Test: As I step gingerly into this whole video thing, I wanted to test my Sony cameras to see what they would produce. To do that, I rode back to the little pond with three small waterfalls this afternoon.

[​IMG]

I wanted to see how the little RX100 vii would capture both video and sound using a small, plug-in microphone. Not wanting to do anything other than a simple test, I didn't bother with the monopod and hand-held the camera. Below is the result.

You could say the result is that I got it to work, if not well. The first tries were fumbles (not shown) before remembering to change the aspect ratio from 3:2 (for photos) to 16:9 for video and plug in the mic. Fine tuning will come later.
    klaviator, B10Dave, Chethro and 3 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Along River Road: Just some autumn color along river road that follows the upper Deerfield River. Pics were taken several days ago.

[​IMG]

This is always a pleasant ride - a treat for the senses.

[​IMG]

I didn't see another car or bike, which makes for a great ride - just the sound of water and burble of the redhead's exhaust.

[​IMG]

Apologies for not stopping to take the photos - they'd have been sharper had I stopped before grabbing the camera.
    Robotaz, klaviator, The Opa and 8 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ring Around The Porter: It began as a ride to the Palmer diamond for some train photos. The weather was good and traffic on I-90 was moving well so the redhead and I got on and blasted west to Palmer. As it turned out I was all dressed up with cameras and there were no trains to dance with. Some of the railfan regulars who show up there almost every morning were also fit to be tied, since they wanted to see me use the drone. I think it was Steve who asked if I could circle the old Porter in the parking lot as if it were inspecting the old engine. This was the result - a first attempt at circling around an object.

I think more close-in shots are in order in such circumstances.
    klaviator, B10Dave, Chethro and 2 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Strange Stories With Strange Pictorial Links: Remember that post where I told of that high spirited beauty who coerced three revolutionary soldiers to murder her supposedly-abusive husband back in 1778? Her name was Bathsheba Ruggles Spooner, favorite daughter of Timothy Ruggles. She and her three boyfriends were hanged that year. I learned about this from drawings of her hanging on the attic walls of an old 1700s tavern. I even went and found the well where Bathsheba's boyfriends stuffed her husband's body. You could say it was Bathsheba's father, Timothy, a Tory who guided his daughter into the marriage with Joshua Spooner. With things starting to look bad for the British and their Tory supporters, Timothy thought an arranged marriage with the prominent farmer Spooner might shore up his position. Well, in the end, his daughter got hung and he was run out of the country.

All of this begged the question as to how Bathsheba came about. It started back in the 1740s when young Timothy Ruggles finished his Harvard law studies and opened a practice.

Ruggles’ law practice took him to County Courts in Plymouth and Barnstable. When traveling to Cape Cod, he usually stayed at the Newcomb Tavern in Sandwich. It was the first inn to open in that town and the building still stands on Grove Street. The tavern was run by Bathsheba Bourne Newcomb, a beautiful, dark-skinned and wealthy widow with seven children. There must have been an instant spark of passion between these two fiery personalities because they were married within five months of Bathsheba’s burying her first husband. Ruggles and Bathsheba, seven years his elder, were wed by her father, Judge Melatiah Bourne. Source: Barnstable Patriot
    From that marriage came Bathsheba Ruggles, 14th of the 15 children born by Bathsheba Bourne Newcomb Ruggles. Wondering about the Newcomb Tavern where Ruggles and Bathsheba senior met, I was amazed to find it still survives and that I had inadvertently taken two pictures of the place taken in December 2014. The first was in a photo of Dexter's Grist Mill, shown below.

[​IMG]

Having admired that stately, white colonial, it received a photo of its own. At the time I had no idea it was once the Newcomb Tavern run by Bathsheba senior and the place where she and Timothy got it on. Now a private home, the 1693 structure has been well-kept and weathered the years well.

[​IMG]

Connections are everywhere! You can learn more about Timothy Ruggles with The Rise And Fall Of A Cape Cod Tory.
    pcarreiro, Robotaz, klaviator and 9 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Fast Fall: Fall (a.k.a., autumn) has come on fast. Even though we've no killing frost yet, trees seem to be shedding their leaves fast - almost as soon as they turn colorful. You have to be fast - one day a tree is colorful and the next day half the leaves are gone.

[​IMG]

I am also thinking that any fisherman worth his/her rood and reel would see this picture and think about running a noisy topwater through those weeds one last time, fall turnover being what it is.
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  20. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Similar leaf patterns here. One day green; next day changed; next day on the ground. I'm slightly exaggerating but it has to be a record.
    popscycle likes this.