Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Landscapes: Below are two pics I spent some time with trying to get the best image out of the raw files. The first below was originally a little washed out, hazy and had some motion blur.

[​IMG]

The second below had little color contrast due to the grey cloud cover.

[​IMG]

Both pictures were taken yesterday with the RX100 while out riding.
    pcarreiro, JRowland, Robotaz and 7 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just A Tech Note: In the event anyone is interested, I received an email yesterday from Skydio saying an update for the drone was available. It was supposedly a "friendly" update that made improvements to the drone's flight parameters and controls without forcing any changes to how you fly it.

[​IMG]

Installing the update was an easy, 5-step, mostly-automatic process through the iPhone. After starting the Skydio app, I had the press a "connect" button twice - once to connect the phone to the drone and again at the end of the process after the drone rebooted itself. Very easy. With all the computers, apps, peripherals, various USB devices, cameras, etc.; having something that lets you clearly and easily update is a happy thing. Perhaps later today when the wind dies down I will fly the drone with the new update to check it out.

Photo Note: What looks like dust on the desk and drone is the camera picking up sunlit surface detail, not dust.
    B10Dave, JRowland, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: I happened to catch this GP40 waiting for permission to cross the CSX line just as I was pulling out to leave. I had to get out and use the RX10 for its zoom capability.

[​IMG]

When zooming this far out optically, use either a tripod/monopod or select the camera's anti-motion function (if it has one). You can't shoot RAW with the latter, though.
    B10Dave, Chethro, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Update Made Drone Shit The Bed. It turns out the Skydio 2 update had all the appearances of a POS when I tested it. Here's what happened.

I installed the new update today and found the interface changes a little confusing. It kept asking me to check for an update and when it came back OK, it would ask again and an endless loop. Somehow, I got out of that loop and got it into the air for a quick test. The flight worked OK but it it will no longer make a USB connection with the computer to download the video. When I make the USB connection to the computer, the drone just hisses like a snake, doing repeated connects and disconnects with the computer. Cant get it to stop and can't download video or pictures. Basically the drone is unusable at this point. The first update was flawless. This update was a mistake.

Edit Update - Workaround? Perhaps I can use a Micro SD card reader to get photos and video off the drone until Skydio gets its update shit together. Will give that a try.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I live on a large lake in a large city. The Canada Geese are in practise mode preparing to depart. The geese here travel to the gulf coast of Texas and Louisiana. Give them safe passage my friends. ❤️

Geese are monogamous. They mate for life. Leave them and their families alone.
    KMichael and JackalHack like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    They don't bother me and I don't bother them. There was this one exception, though. A year or two back I encountered a kamikaze goose who dove out of the sky and took out the Miata's windshield. If it hadn't kicked the bucket in the process, I would have wrung its neck. Nobody likes kamikaze geese.
    red bud, B10Dave, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just Some Road Shots: Taken on rides last week, I finally got them converted. Not much explanation is needed.

[​IMG]

There was this abandoned 1940s era motel and restaurant still standing. It was one of those where each room had a carport - highly prized by travelers back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding through the village of East Princeton on the way home:

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most scooters can carry a lot of stuff. Underseat storage is huge on some of them. Add a large tail box and then bungee stuff to the passenger seat. Scooters make the ideal photographers bikes because they can carry a lot of stuff, are easy to get on and off and except for the bigger maxi scooters they are much easier to park than a heavy motorcycle.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Gem In Disguise? Having ridden by this place more than a few times, I wondered if their fare was any good. The place certainly doesn't look good. Where many people would dismiss an eatery like this simply by its outward appearance, I've found over the years that some of the best places to eat can look quite nondescript or worse.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.683026, -72.023132: I've wondered. After riding by last week and taking a picture (at speed), a little research suggested this place might just be a gem. It is not likely I will be going by when they're open but some of you might.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Burst Of Color And Abandonment: Taken along a ridge road above the Ware River, looking at an abandoned power plant across the river.,

[​IMG]
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Peak Color: Foliage color seems to peak here about the middle of the month. For example, below is a photo I took on a ride 4 days ago.

[​IMG]

Below is a shot taken on the same date, Oct 14 but in 2019.

[​IMG]

On the day the above pic was taken, there were about a dozen people milling about. I removed several people from the pic along with a big, concrete drain that was next to the tree in the foreground. Below is how the same tree looked yesterday, but from a different angle. I removed the concrete drain in this photo also.

[​IMG]
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Once A Mill, Later A Chair Factory: I am being led to believe this stone structure dates back to the early 1800s and was later the site of a chair factory around 1840.

[​IMG]
  13. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    lol, wow. Thats cool.
    JRowland and popscycle like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    If I was 20 years younger, I'd be up in there with a metal detector looking for interesting artifacts
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rail Fan vs. Rail Fun: The term "railfan" has caught on as increasing numbers of people discover the enjoyment of train-watching, including taking photos and videos. Train videos abound, often taken from the increasing number of live cams (e.g. Virtual Railfan). In the real, rather than virtual, world of train-watching, I find the motorcycle and Miata to be the best vehicles for getting to the what little train action there is around here at this time. Sometimes, it is the rail fans that are more interesting than the trains, especially those fanatical fans called foamers. Foamers are so named because their exaggerated behavior and emotion seeing trains makes one think of rabid foaming of the mouth, not to be confused with the natural and wonderful enthusiasm of children seeing trains. It is with the "foamer" in mind, that I had fun making the following video - The Shove. It was made with a touch of Monty Python (e.g. the high drama of not much happening)

whiskeygut, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ruggles of Hardwick: I remembered there was a 1930s movie entitled Ruggles of Redgap, which prompted this post title. The Hardwick Ruggles were kin to this guy.

[​IMG]

You may recall that Timothy was the father of Bathsheeba Ruggles Spooner, who had three (Revolutionary War) soldiers murder her husband and stuff the body down a well. I went hunting for and found the well, shown below.

[​IMG]

Wanting to learn more about the Ruggles in Hardwick, I went looking around the general area where they were supposedly located. The only thing I found was an 1809 Daniel Ruggles Tavern, shown below.

[​IMG]

Other than the tavern and sign, I couldn't find anything with reference to Ruggles. Another curiosity item is what happened to Timothy's wife, Bathsheeba, whose daughter, also named Bathsheeba, was hanged in 1778. She did not follow her Tory husband when he got run out of the country. Just another interesting thing to keep an eye out for.
  17. JackalHack

JackalHack Perpetually confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any update (no pun intended) on your flightless bird, errr, drone?

Since I will probably not procure one myself, I do enjoy your aerial views right here...
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happy to learn you are enjoying the videos! Making them has been an enjoyable (and sometimes frustrating) learning experience.

When the update killed the drone's ability to make a USB connection to the computer, I got so pissed that I forgot an obvious workaround. Fortunately, someone on a Skydio forum reminded me that I could take the (micro) SIM card out of the drone, put it in a card reader and get the pics and videos that way. So, I ordered/received a card reader and that worked. This approach is more clumsy than just plugging the drone in but makes it usable again until the direct drone connection is solved. I an guessing Skydio support is swamped right now, as is often the case with a vendor when they make a major software update. I was also reminded that having a backup SIM card is a very good idea as they can go south on you, so I ordered and received one of those along with the card reader.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Miscellaneous Road Shots: Below is an assemblage of various road shots taken at speed some days ago on a fall color ride. Apologies for the slight blurring up close. I was so happy to be out and riding that I didn't give the camera much attention.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The Vespa is the reason I'm still riding given my neuropathy in the feet and legs, meaning poor balance on foot. I hadn't ridden the Sportster since June. It was just too heavy and scared me. Riding was fine but it was too heavy on foot. The scooter has saved 44 years of riding for me. A new chapter and I feel 20 years younger. I don't know anyone else who has both a motorcycle and a walker. :D

ps - Absolutely loving the New England fall colours.
    klaviator, B10Dave, JRowland and 3 others like this.