Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loved riding the Vespa back in the early 50s before graduating to a Cushman Eagle. Does the Vespa still have a rotating handgrip clutch/shifter? That was one of the many things I liked about that scoot. All that said, I am happy you have wheels with a motor.

BTW, I have a friend (Jim L.) who has no legs but rides a motorcycle - a goldwing trike - all over the country.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Street Scene: Main Street in Hancock, NH. I was standing in front of the general store and happened to snap this pic of the street during the noon rush hour.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, Chethro and 7 others like this.
  3. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Not far from that tavern is Ruggles Hill Road, and I believe there is also a Ruggles Road in town. There are still many presumed descendants living in, and active in, the town.
    B10Dave, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Noon rush hour, bwahaha. Love it!
    B10Dave, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding By A Presidential Home: I haven't ridden by many presidential homes/homesteads. The first was the home of Abe Lincoln in Springfield, IL and it was intentional. The second and last was the home of Franklin Pearce in Hillsboro, NH and it was unintentional. The place was closed but I stopped anyway to look around.

[​IMG]

The Pearce homestead is at coordinates 43.116257, -71.950261.

[​IMG]

Pearce was born in a nearby log cabin while this house was being built. The house may be more memorable than his presidency. Pearce was a northern Democrat who was pro-slavery and liked his booze. His signing of the Kansas Nebraska Act, which allowed slavery to be introduced into territories where it had once been banned, is thought to be one of the catalysts for the Civil War.

[​IMG]

Although born into a family of some apparent means (look at the house), his personal life wasn't a bed or roses. His wife suffered from depression and his three children died young.
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color Me Stupid: Well, stupid is as stupid does and I really did some of late. As I was getting on the bike to ride east into Sudbury, I thought about my road pictures of late and wondered why they were blurry in places. That shouldn't be. So I took the camera out of the tank bag, looked it over carefully and said "whoa horse"! I had been forgetting to change the mode setting from A (auto, which I like when not moving) to S (shutter priority) With all the stuff there is to think about, I really don't want to think about camera settings but i guess I'll have to or look like an idiot who has good cameras taking not-so-good pictures. Anyway, I changed the mode to S, upped the shutter speed and set off on Rt 30 east. Below are three pics taken going to and from.

[​IMG]

There's a little motion blur at the bottom sides but not much else. A little more shutter speed will nail down the focus.

[​IMG]

Well that seem to do it. No blur at all zipping by one of the buildings at Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine.

[​IMG]

It seems like the stuff to remember is increasing geometrically, if not exponentially.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Overdue Burst Of Color: Behind on getting good fall color images this year, I hope this makes amends.

[​IMG]

The image was lifted from this video.

klaviator, Chethro, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    There’s nothing for my feet to do. CVT twist grip The leavers are front brake and rear brake.

Combined with the manageable weight, I only need for a foot down at a light or stop sign. It also has both stands. It’s a blessing and saviour to my perhaps last chapter or riding. ❤️
    klaviator, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really nice video of the fall colours John. Around here the leaves are changing but they are falling off as fast as they get colour. Very hard to find a fully leafed tree with fall colour. Strange that the town hall and school ? buildings have bells in their belfries and the church does not.
    KMichael, popscycle and JRowland like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just Some Road Pics: Below are several miscellaneous pictures taken on a ride this month. Am behind on converting photos from RAW to JPEG.

[​IMG]

The location above would make a great backdrop for a fall train photo. Unfortunately, there aren't many trains running on this line any more. Below is a picture taken just up the road.

[​IMG]

Green fields abound, at least until the first killing frost.

[​IMG]

Taken a week ago, most of these leaves are down now.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, JRowland and 10 others like this.
  11. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    The first one with the RR crossing is really nice, could be a postcard!
    klaviator, B10Dave, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful photos!
    JRowland, popscycle and KMichael like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I greatly appreciate the feedback and kind words. Below is another shot taken around that time.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    No Color In Oakham: I rode through Oakham, MA, a week back and stopped at the town center, which is a bit off the beaten trail at coordinates 42.353522, -72.042701.

[​IMG]

With not much in the way of foliage color, I took a picture of the church and town hall from the common.

[​IMG]

That done, I beat it out of town.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Unusual Porch? Being an observer, but not a student, of architecture, riding gives me a lot to look at - from very old (for this country homes and buildings to newer ones. It seems the earliest homes generally didn't have porches. Who had the time or inclination to sit on one back then? Being uniquely American, front porches became popular during the 1800s, lasting up into the early 1900s. A really ritzy front porch would have an attached gazebo, something rarely seen in new home construction but see one I did and it was a whopper.

[​IMG]

The overall house architecture had the look of a small church structure but with dormers on one side. The porch seemed like an rather nice, but eclectic, assemblage of components - portico, porch and gazebo - where the portico and gazebo were outsized.

[​IMG]

I am happy to see the front porch regaining its earlier popularity after the trend in the mid 1900s was to tear them off to "modernize" the look of the home or not build them in the first place.

Note: If I stopped to take a picture every time I saw an interesting (to me) house, I'd never get anywhere.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Speaking Of Porches: Another structure I pass by often is this house, shown below. I am thinking this was a late 1700s or early 1800s colonial that had a porch added to give it that "farmhouse" look that became popular in the 1800s.

[​IMG]

IMHO, the porch doesn't fit the house; however, it should be noted that homes that also served as an inn or tavern often added porches. The porch above would have been attraction to coach-weary travelers.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Road Photo Miscellany: Just sharing some road pics of late, taken at speed or during stops to stretch the old legs and knees. First up is a pit stop.

[​IMG]

OK, what weirdos among us take pictures of the woods just after watering some of the flora?

[​IMG]

I thought this was a nice place to stop, stretch, hydrate and enjoy the view - very pastoral and peaceful with no cars going by.

[​IMG]

Further on down the road, there were no views - just trees that looked to be a combination of 3rd and 4th growth. Note: The photo was during my stupid (blurry) camera setting period.

[​IMG]

The only traffic and activity I saw was at or near the Hardwick Winery at coordinates 42.325843, -72.248891, which looked to be hosting a car/truck show.

[​IMG]

I wanted to stop and get a bottle of this for Lynne.

[​IMG]

The crowds, however, were too thick and of sufficient size to make you wonder if they had any wine left. The last bottle we had from there is shown above and was purchased in Nov. 2015. Not being much of a wine drinker, I remember being told it went well with pizza or spaghetti and meatballs.
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Worth Remembering: Whether grizzled old rider or novice newb, it is good to remember there are three dangers implied in the picture below. One you can see and two you can't. Most obvious is pine needles, which can be slippery on dry roads. Second is wet leaves that were further down the road and around a corner where there was some runoff. Third is deer. Around here, we're going into the rut about now, which makes them more active during daylight.

[​IMG]

And, yes, I avoided a deer that came charging out of the brush. I take it easy on roads like this, especially this time of year and have a lot of years of accident-free riding to show for it.
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  19. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Had you walked around back, you would have seen the burnout competition hosted by the fire department. Where else but Hardwick would you see a burnout competition at a winery? I loved it, and so did my boys. That nice Mustang in your photo was one of the competitors and the sound of that Cobra engine was more impressive than the smoke. I'll try to add a photo of the champion (a local kid) if I can.
    Edit: have you ever taken the dirt road that runs down the side of the winery? It's a short but easy and interesting ride. There's a preserve that they are restoring to a Pine Barren, one of only a few in New England.
  20. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-10-23_18-36-47.jpeg
    Here's the winner of the first annual Burnout competition at the winery, sponsored by the fire department.