Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work, thanks! Over the years, I have mapped out most of the covered bridges in MA, NH and VT in Garmin Basecamp and probably ridden to about 80% of them. What you've now done is given me a great wintertime mission to find and plot them out in other states. If you or anyone wants my Basecamp GPX file of these covered bridges, just send me a PM.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! The sky’s the limit. Somebody would pay for a mounted and framed print. Who owns that property? How could they not buy one?
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I took and own the copyrighted photo and did the "paintifying" of it myself.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Ghost Of October Past: Below is a perfectly good, October pond photo that I screwed up. I should have gotten in more water and tree reflection. Anyway, it was some good color on that October 30, if not a good photo.

[​IMG]

Not getting more water reflection haunts me on this one.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Under A Bridge: When you see a bridge and circumstances (e.g., vertigo, trespassing, etc.) won't let you get on it, then get under it. Below is the bridge seen, followed by an under-the-bridge scene.

[​IMG]

I am happy with the picture below, not to mention being happy to be below, rather than on, the bridge. The pic shows off the design of this 1905 Pratt deck truss railroad bridge.

[​IMG]
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Through Shrewsbury: I almost have to pass through Shrewsbury, MA, when heading north on Rt. 140. It is the straightest road up to the NH border. Below are shots taken at speed while riding through the town, the first of which is heading north toward the town center. Shrewsbury center is best avoided during prime commuter time as it is a 2-land road traffic jam where traffic can sometimes be backed up for more than a mile in both directions.

[​IMG]

Just past the center is road that led to where we used to live (i.e., up in the hills about a mile behind the 1816 manse in the picture.

[​IMG]

Down the street is classic example of the type of structures built from the late 1600s into the late 1700s. Note the center chimney.

[​IMG]

Finally, on the north side of town is the continuous construction zone known as the overpass, where Rt. 140 crosses over I-290. It has been under construction seemingly forever and may now be to the point where they can finish it in a year or two.

[​IMG]

Sometimes I wonder if I will live long enough to see this finished. Of late they've been busy putting in sidewalks where no one ever walks.
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An October Classic: I took a lot of pictures of this on that October day past. So, I dug another one out and converted it from raw.

[​IMG]

The tobacco barn is no longer there. I am guessing the owner sold the wood for a pretty penny.
    klaviator, JRowland, B10Dave and 9 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Fall Color Around The Reservoir? Well, there was some, but not that much compared to years past. Photos were taken with the RX100 vii at speed on a ride last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be fair to the reservoir, I didn't go all the way around it - only the part that took me north. By contrast, some of last year's October colors around this body of water would blow you away. Below is one example.

[​IMG]

I was hoping to fly the drone through these trees this year but that didn't work out. They never quite colored up (i.e., brown and down) or I missed it when they did.
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 7 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Is Half A Barn Better Than None? I pondered the question riding by the barn below, half of which collapsed and was removed.

[​IMG]

It seems a little strange that the owners would let half the barn collapse and then scramble like hell to protect the standing half. That's what they did by redoing the roof and applying a liberal amount of paint to the sides. Once part of a large dairy operation, the entire farm is quite ramshacke but still inhabited.

Picture taken with the RX100 vii at speed several days ago and converted from RAW.
    klaviator, zookster, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On The Subject Of Barns: While making the previous post, the old brain got to thinking about old, classic barns that were in good shape, so we crawled through the archives to find one and scored.

[​IMG]

As someone who likes barns, the architecture of the above barn led back into the archives to find this:

[​IMG]

Was this a barn converted into a house or a house built to look like a barn? If not the former, they did a hell of a job giving the place a weathered look.
    klaviator, pcarreiro, The Opa and 7 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix Mix: You gotta start somewhere to find things out, so I went out into the cold(er), damp and windy weather this afternoon to try taking videos of speeding trains with my RX100 vii pocket cam and attached mic. There were two reasons for doing this. One was to see how the little pocket cam does with video and sound. The second was to find out if I like videos or pics better for visual train fixes. First up is the video, noting that I added in a clip from a week or so back of a slow moving shunt.

Well, the little camera does OK shooting in P (Auto) mode XAVCS 4K. But I think I prefer a still pic for a more lasting and detailed impression.

[​IMG]

If I am going to do videos of trains, it will have to be either something special or an aerial view of them moving. Othwise, I am thinking "blah"; however, I do value your opinions on this.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 4 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Show Your Bike @ The Hearse House: Well, since there is no such thread, I'll just post it here and call it "Color In The Graveyard."

[​IMG]

I could have posed the bike in front of the place but when you're "in the groove" and your butt don't hurt yet, stopping is way down the list of priorities. The shot was lucky given I was riding by at about 40 mph and pointed the cam without looking. Also, I bumped the shutter speed up on my last stop.

For those of you who might be in the neighborhood and want a rather grim pose, this hearse house is at coordinates 42.450287, -72.424319. I doubt if there's a hearse in there but if you happen to stop and pose your bike, look in the window and let us know.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    October Picturesque: Some scenic riding shots, all flora and no fauna, that were taken while stopped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Were I a painter, these are all scenes I would have tried to put to canvas.
  15. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    re: Watercolour filter discussion on earlier mill photo. Here’s what a friend has for a profile photo.

76F6BB66-4D2A-4F3B-9EDB-C0A37B231D7F.jpeg
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I've done some similar stuff in the past. One example is this "artsy" image of my GS in an old mill building, which is now the New England Motorcycle Museum.

[​IMG]

There owner and I were having fun hooning around with the redhead on the empty floor. It's not every day you get to ride through an old mill
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  17. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Outstanding. Technology is amazing. I love how at that level of distortion the spokes are still preserved.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Memories: A collection of newly-converted images of motorcycles past. We post them as we convert the images from RAW with new software.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, Chethro, ShOqUePoT and 4 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just Your Average Rail Fans: Standing out by the tracks on a cool, windy day is what they do. (i.e., left-to-right are Tony, Steve and Fred)

[​IMG]

Having missed an earlier train, not much was happening. NECR wasn't moving around enough to get out the drone so I took a picture of Tony's video rig that he had set up and on the ready for whatever might roll by next.

[​IMG]

Being a staunch CSX railfan, Tony couldn't be bothered with any NECR videos. Like some people who follow a particular sports team, some railfans follow a particular rail carrier. As for Fred, I think he was having fun with the purveyors of the webcam located on the black light pole in the first picture.
    klaviator, KMichael, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  20. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Airbag prototype? Booooo....
    KMichael, JRowland and popscycle like this.