Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Nice Goat

Nice Goat higher is better

Oddometer:
    Nice work on the photos and reporting. I'm loving all the history and industrial photos. You have succeeded in making a Southern boy want to ride to Massachusetts!
  2. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Nice work John. The new camera is special!
  3. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Teaser pic from Rhyolite, NV.

[​IMG]
    K33 and popscycle like this.
  4. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. We're happy you're enjoying the thread, will try to post even more/better stuff and hope you can get up here and ride some day. If you do, look us up and we'll show you some really fun roads.

John
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Having good tools does make a difference and I am grateful/thankful to have some of them. Am thinking I know just enough about this camera now to produce pics that are decent. Went out again today to try to catch the Lake Shore Limited coming out of Boston to see if we have learned enough now to get reasonable pics of things speeding by. The result today was certainly better than yesterday's.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave likes this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Teaser is right. Love that pic and wonder what other great assemblage of pixels you have laying around!! :happay
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Ray Of Sunshine: The train gods smiled and sent a ray of sunshine through the clouds onto the G&U GP later this afternoon. It seemed to make a good train pic.

[​IMG]
    K33, B10Dave and bluestar like this.
  8. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Most are going to have to wait til I get home.

Not a real train but a cool mural in Beatty, NV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Real trains, murals of trains - they're all good. We appreciate it! It is always great to see your on-the-road pics. Thanks!!
  10. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Since I didn't get abducted by aliens while riding the Extraterrestial Highway, I managed to get some more train pics. The lighting was not very good and the pix need some post processing that will have to wait until I get home. I'll post a couple of them for now but there will be a lot more later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    K33, popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    bluestar; can't wait for rest of your Nevada Museum pics. I am sure John will agree when I ask you to post all you got!!!...Dave
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Extraterrestrial Sign: Great pic!

Railroad Museum Sign: Great teaser!

Old Steam Engine: So good that I had to copy the pic, take it into Photoshop and up the exposure.

Can't wait to see what else you've got!
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Historic Gem: I visited a historic gem yesterday- the Willard home and workshop (ca. 1766). Generations of Willards made clocks , perhaps the finest in the country. The story begins with with the Willard brothers, Benjamin, Simon and Ephraim and spans multiple generations of clock making at this location. The original house and workshop still stands and is now a museum, located at coordinates 42.238965, -71.673250. The most famous of the Willard clock makers was Simon, whose works are most prized.

[​IMG]

The home's interior is well preserved and chock full of period items, many from the Willard family.

[​IMG]

A closer examination of the fireplace mantel above, shows one of Simon Willard's patented time mechanisms - an early cooking timer called a "clock jack". Shown below, it was used to roast meat. The clock-like mechanism was hung by a hook from the mantel in front of the open fireplace with the meat placed on another hook at the end of a chain, so that when the machinery was wound up the meat was slowly rotated as it cooked.

[​IMG]

For all his patents, Simon Willard never became rich, preferring to build his reputation rather than wealth. That reputation is maintained to this day, as his works can be found in the U.S. Senate, White House, Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Harvard College, The Old South Meeting House, University of Virginia, etc. It is estimated that Simon made some 4,000 timepieces, 1,200 eight day clocks, machinery for lighthouses and repaired and/or improved innumerable other clocks. Living to age 95, Willard did some of his best work from age 70 on. The clock he made for the U.S. Capital was done at age 85 and was as good as anything he ever made. Original Simon Willard clocks are extremely rare and highly prized. A Simon Willard gallery clock like the one below, hangs in the White House.

[​IMG]

Virtually every room in the house contains Willard clocks and there are knowledgeable museum assistants to guide you round and explain what they are. If you like history, the tour is a bargain. Some of this stuff is priceless.

[​IMG]

Case-making such as the cases for the tall clocks below, was a separate trade and not done by the Willards.

[​IMG]

The wife and I have an affinity for early-American, colonial homes and the Willard house is a classic. The next trip will have her with me in the car for a visit.

[​IMG]

Going upstairs, you will see these additional rooms, starting with a bedroom. It was noted that many people today do not understand that there were such things as bear rugs back in the day.

[​IMG]

Also upstairs is a sitting room with numerous clocks and antiques.

[​IMG]

In addition to clocks, the museum collection contains documents signed by presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

[​IMG]

Most interesting was the Willard workshop, shown below.

[​IMG]

Contained in the shop are several gear-making tools. Below is a close-up of the one shown above.

[​IMG]

The workshop also contained this other gear-cutting tool, shown below.

[​IMG]

Also in the workshop was this smaller tower clock mechanism.

[​IMG]

Bottom Line: The Willard House and Museum was an interesting and worthy ride well worth the time and cost. If time allows, I will get and post a few more pics therefrom. There is much more than I have taken pictures of.

Disclaimer: We have no affiliation with or consideration from the Willard House & Clock Museum.
    K33 and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most interesting tour of the Willard house and workshop John. Very talented and prolific tradesman! Went looking for something railroad today as the sun was out briefly and as of yet no snow. First pic is a small wooden bridge next to Putnam Rd. on the Ont.Southland RR. Hope to catch a train on this one soon.

dec5 013.jpg
    Next is a bridge on the CNR mainline. It is the one behind the gravel pit I mentioned earlier. Got to the back of the pit and couldn't climb the fence to get closer. Fence, although fairly new was the flimsiest paige wire I have ever seen and would not support my weight right beside one of the wood posts. I will have to return from a different direction to get closer and catch a train on the bridge.This shot was from at least 300 feet away and too far for my little Canon to do a good job.

dec5 010.jpg

I went back to the wooden bridge on Denfield Rd. and took a couple of pics from different angles.

dec5 005.jpg

dec5 002.jpg

And then my patience paid off in spades.

dec5 009.jpg
    Hope you enjoyed...Dave
    popscycle likes this.
  15. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't want to sleep in this bed. There's a bear hiding under it. :yikes

[​IMG]
    B10Dave likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well now, you can't beat trestles for train buffs but perfectly framing a train coming under one is just great! :clap
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    As the museum assistant was explaining the presence of the bear, my mind drifted to thinking about how to easily animate the thing so that it would slide out from under the bed on command. As a result, I didn't hear much of what she said. Also, she didn't like the idea one bit. :lol3
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rumor has it that Rider Two finally got out after many months of being trapped in a demanding job that kept him off the street. We're hoping he'll post something.
  19. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    Have you informed him that work is highly overrated?
    bluestar likes this.
  20. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Who's got time for work? There's too much riding to be done. :ricky