Goodies

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fish, Mar 9, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I had to get out, so I took a run over the hill to bmwscruz this afternoon. The newspaper said it was supposed to rain, but it didn't...it was quite nice, between the high 50's and the mid 60's the entire way to Watsonville.

[​IMG]

While I definitely had a GREAT time, bouncing off the rev limiter repeatedly in several gears, it was a bit of a bummer as there were more LEOs out on my backroads than I've ever seen before. It's truly serendipitous that I didn't get nicked, as I probably passed two dozen cages over the double yellows and hit speeds of between 85-100 in 45mph zones. It was a great ride. Made me wonder what I would tell the guy who finally pulled be over.

LEO: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

fish: "I'm actually not quite certain."

LEO: "We've had reports of a silver 2002 BMW R1150RT with blue flames on the roundels, a rider in a blue Roadcrafter exceeding the speedlimit, passing over the double-yellow, and generally disrespecting all traffic laws for the last 45 miles. Does that jog your memory?"

fish: "Hmmm...that description matches me pretty well, but I'm a very careful rider. I've been riding for 26 years and haven't had a ticket in over 12 years, so it probably wasn't me."

LEO: "alrighty then, I believe you. You are free to go. Have a nice afternoon."

not.

So anyway, I made it to bmwscruz, shmoozed with the owner, sales mgr, parts mgr, wrenches, and a couple of customers. Answered lots of questions about my gear, and bike, and oh help me jesus, just let me get inside.

They had a nice display of bike jewelry on the wall, so I plucked a few blisterpacks of wunderlich and RAD stuff, ordered the R11RT radio box and gasket, asked for some 02 K12RS mirrors for the GS (surprise! they were in stock :).

I asked about Fox's deal with the RT shox, and was told the lead engineer was transferred to snowmobiles. Steve da parts dood said he'd call on 'em and see what's up. If nothing, I'm on the list for Ohlins.

Asked about an exhaust lowering kit for the GS, and steve da parts dood said BMW has a kit for the GS-P and he'd call on it, cuz the p/ns weren't viewable yet. Need to get a full-size left bag too. I called my buddy Knut up in the city and he forwarded me to a guy in Tucson, Z's Motor Works or something? Left a vmail. Knut said he makes the most beautiful GS can lowering kits on the planet.

Lessee...where was I? Oh yeah, I got to see a new gold F650CS. The pics in the mags are accurate. It is one of the fugliest bikes I've ever seen. Target market appears to be adolescent girls and fags. :ymca Mario had a forced smile on his face as he rode it around front after washing it. Really. Fugly motherfucking scoot. It's like a scooter that's had Martha Stewart design bits of it. It had a big hole in the middle of it where the gastank should be. I asked peter if I could ride it and he said it wasn't a demo. I said it would be after I finished with it. He said I'd have to pay for it. I told him he could ride it right up his ass. I didn't ride it. Good thing, cuz quite honestly, I wouldn't want anybody to see me on that thing. It makes the F650GS look good.

What else..oh, they've got a silver Aprilia Falco. Supposed to be less-aggressive than the RSV Mille. Seemed pretty aggressive to me. Much more extreme than the speed triple. No trade.

And...the K12RS mirrors will not fit on an 1150RT with parabellum +4. Not even close. I'll try my stock GS mirrors when I get around to swapping them out. I know the stock GS mirrors work with the BMW tall screen on the RT.
    And of course, the 02 KRS mirrors will look quite smashing on my GS :D

I had money burning a hole in my pocket. Nothing I bought today was a necessity. And ya know what? It fucking felt good. :drums

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. shugie

shugie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what's the benefit of the K bike mirrors on the GS?

Hugh, Reading, UK, 1150GS
  3. Killen

Killen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much for the kid??
  4. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool screwdriver
  5. CowtownGS

CowtownGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let us know if the K12 mirrors on the GS give you better look to the rear. I can't seem to get my stockers adjusted where I can see down the sides and also see behind me without moving my head. Also, if you are getting a full size left bag for the GS, you can purchase only the full size inner and save a ton. You have to use your origional locks and crap.
  6. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did the swap on my bike. The new inner is HUGE:thumb It is bigger than the right now (no canister bump). I think I'll have enuf room for all my stuff now. Locks and lid are just a pop rivet job (although I had the shop do mine, adventure points lost?) there's not much to it.

Greg
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    They're a bit wider...oval instead of round, so are *supposed* to give a better view. They're also *supposed* to be clearer than the round ones. Mostly, they just look bitchin' and cost a little more than Napolean barend mirrors.
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    hush! you'll skeer it. Only used it for opening the blisterpacks.
  9. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    That's the plan. The locks are separate? No problem swapping over the stock lids, I've done that several times. I'm actually hoping to find a used one somewhere, but the priority is on figuring out how to lower the exhaust can.
  10. Trouble

Trouble Sloth Hunter

Oddometer:

Greg,
    Where did you purchase just the full size inner?
  11. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Part number 46 54 2 317 619 Housing Bottom Left.
    It does not us the stock footpeg mound (see pics in thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2098). From what I can tell ALL the aftermarket low exausts come with the inboard adapters (cuz why would you go to low exaust?) :dunno

Greg
  12. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about the bag of bolts. Are they a titanium replacement kit or something?

The roundels look nice.
  13. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    The bag of bolts are stainless replacements for the black fairing screws that start getting scratched when you just think about taking a 3mm allen wrench to them. The roundel comes with a plate that bolts to the rear fender where the holes are for european plates.
  14. Randall

Randall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Fish,

Make sure you post a pic or two when you get those mirrors mounted. Kind of interested to see what they look like. Also interested in your thoughts about more visibility etc.

Randall
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I mounted them just now and it sure seems like you get another 1.5 to 2" more view on the outboard ends since the mirrors are oblong, but not that much smaller than the diam of the stock mirrors. I took some pix and will probably post on a separate thread. One negative is that the thickness of the left mirror base deflects the choke lever to the outside a bit. Doesn't seem to put too much stress on it, but we'll see over time. They just look soooo cool :uhhuh
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer: