Google Earth question?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by jrsue, Sep 5, 2018.

1. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is not GE tech support, but I also have come to learn that some of the best tech advise anywhere is right here. So here is my problem.

I typically use GE to inspect tracks generated from rides. And now all of a sudden GE at start up gives me an error "Cannot connect to server" and it fails to load the map. When I go to the file menu in GE and "Log out of server and log back in..again "Failed to connect to server".

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled Google Earth Pro, still same. I have gone into GE Help, and it's either way over my head or tells me its my firewall, which I don't have. It's not GE related to Basecamp, because I have the same version of GE and Basecamp on a laptop computor (Win 10) and it works fine. The problem computor is running Windows 7

Any help much appreciated. thank you
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Several years ago a newer version of GE wouldn't work on my Windows 7 computer. But the problem was my obsolete graphics card not a server connection.

Anyway I managed to find a reservoir of old versions of GE online. When I installed the older version, all was okay.
    Don't know if this will help you or where I found the old versions.
  3. jrsue

jrsue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help. Your suggestion prompted me to try this again. I downloaded and installed an old version a week ago and it didn't work. tried it again and today it worked. So who knows why, maybe I used a different older version this time.

Google Earth

..but it's working now. And as a bonus it even quick links to the "View in google Earth tab in Basecamp. thanks. http://www.oldversion.com/windows/download/google-earth-7-0-2-8415