Google Maps Bluetooth Hotspot questions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by DBM, Sep 27, 2018.

1. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    I am a long time Samsung Android user. I recently upgraded from a Galaxy S5 to a Note 8. Love the new phone, and the horsepower increase has been amazing. I am looking for advice on using my old phone as a redneck GPS on my new street bike. Here is my plan, let me know if this will work or what set up/free apps would work better. I want to use Goolge Maps as my app if possible. I want to hang my old S5 from my bars using a secure RAM mount The S5 no longer has a SIM card, so l need WiFi and/or Bluetooth to connect. I would like to use my Note 8 as a hot spot for my S5 when on the bike to allow Google Maps to work. Is this possible? What wireless connection works best between 2 phones? Wifi or Bluetooth? What say you?
  2. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would use an off line app like OsmAnd+ and download all maps you need via WiFi. With it you don't need any connection after downloading maps. This app does have a one time, very reasonable cost, and you can also get contours and hill shading. You can probably put it on both your phones for the same price. You can record or download tracks as well. I love this app and the Note 8.

A little miffed they left out the IR blaster and HDMI output support on the Note 8. My previous Note 3 is now repurposed as a remote security camera with the Alfred app.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Woody2627 likes this.
  3. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    OFFOine maps on an offline app= happy

oruxmaps
    osmand
    locus
  5. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    What does OsmAnd+ do that Google maps cannot do?
  6. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OsmAnd+ let's you download, with full detail, whole states at a time and then operate with no connection. My limited experience with Google Maps (Off line) is a far more limited download or route for offline use.

Personally, the color schemes are much more Atlas like. You can do additional features like contour lines, hill shading, and trip recording. It does show most hiking trails as well. Import routes, and record with all kinds of detail (speed/altitude). Turn various displayed routes on/off easily.

I will add, I do still use online Google maps for detailed route planning, convert to GPX, and transfer via email into OsmAnd+. I haven't taken the time to learn how to plan in this level of detail in OsmAnd+, and I like the capability to drag route adjustments around in Google Maps. (Whole different thread on that...)

You can do a free version to try it out. Your experience may vary, but it is my "go to" stanalone navigation app, and worth the minimal investment.

7. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thank you fellas for all your help and sugestions. How can a downloaded map work offline with no connection?
  8. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Like every other dedicated Navigation unit ever?

Try "Here WeGo" maps, another decent offline option.
  9. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Data is all stored on your phone instead of in the cloud. Most car navs are on an SD card now, similar concept. You do need the GPS signal/connection.

10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    hmm... the map is just some pretty images. the gps antenna allowes for the phone's coordinating of placing your location on those images.

for instance:
    gps antenna
    WiFi antenna
    cellular antenna
    nfc antenna
    fm antenna
    Bluetooth antenna

see ? they're all separate antennas.
    they do similar things, just in different wavelengths.... so just like the stand alone units (that don't have the OPTION OF USING OTHER ANTENNAS) the phone does it all just fine, without cellular service.
  11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    You download the data to the phone. So a data connection is no longer needed to get the maps for the GPS. The phone will just use the internal GPS antenna for location info.

I prefer CoPilot for street maps. I find it accurate, and has a good number of POIs.
    OSMand+ is nice and uses the cheap/free OSM maps. The POI data is weak.
    Many people like Locus for trail riding.
    Those put the map data on the phone with these and you are ready.

Or you can use Google maps by downloading the map ahead of time over WiFi. You can't download a lot of map miles though.

You can set your active phone up as a WiFi hotspot, then connect the inactive phone to that, and use online Google or Waze maps. But now you have two batteries to keep charged.
    The Note 8 has a brighter and bigger screen, so I would just use the Note 8.

BTW, the Note 8 and S5 have OLED screens. Try to find a map style or render, that uses a BLACK background. It will consume less battery power.
  12. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    ???? I have use the HDMI output of my Note 8 a few times. I just had to get the correct USB C to HDMI adapter.
  13. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I got my info from the BestBuy Samsung person when I went in to buy an updated adapter (my Note 3 device didn't work.) Ended up with a Roku adapter to display wirelessly.

14. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Thankx for all the help. I will try to use Google maps offline on my S5 and see how it works. Plan B will be my new Note 8 using a data connection.
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 RonS says I am BSC, scorched earth or something

Oddometer:
    That may work, US carriers usually have the tethering functions on lockdown UNLESS you are willing to pay more for the,I use a paid up that I bought (for $16) like 8 years ago called PDAnet aka FoxFI. If your carrier allows FoxFI that is the way to go otherwise you will have to find another solution

I can tell you the S5 is fine for navi, except you have to be VERY careful of weather, unless your phone is a S5 Neo, the USB getting wet will kill the phone completely (my S4 died this way) later models for the S6 and up are much more hardened

Though you can likely still find the S5 expanded battery packs and not need to deal with charging issues.
  16. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Note 8 on Verizon comes standard with WiFi hotspot. No Foxfi needed.