Goose Bay to Cartwright

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LowAdvRider, Jan 23, 2006.

1. LowAdvRider

LowAdvRider Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer:
    Any word on the progress of this new section of the Trans Canada?

I know that there is at least one person on the forum from Goose Bay, just can't seem to find them to ask directly.
  2. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    One thing`s for sure,
    They`re not working on it at the moment; well, at least, not on the dirt part of it! :lol3 :1drink
    [​IMG]
  3. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    On one of my maps, it has a dotted line and says 'proposed 2006'
    I have a newer map and I could have sworn it now says 'proposed 2008'

I'm planning a trip that covers the Trans Labrador. The plan is to do it this summer. I suspect there will be no road....so the 14 hour ferry is in the itinerary!
  4. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius) Supporter

Oddometer:
    We did it this summer. Probably go again after the new road opens.

[​IMG]
  5. LowAdvRider

LowAdvRider Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer:
    As I expected. I plan to do this ride this summer with a couple other advrider's. Was just HOPING that the road might be open earlier than expected.

Great pic of the snow removal however!:huh
  6. Tengai650

Tengai650 Random Task

Oddometer:
    The locals up there are now saying 2009.
  7. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Im planning on doing that ride in July, keep this thread going. Toddy
  8. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Will be in Lab mid-June. Entering from NFLD via ferry, up tp Cartwright, ferry to Goose Bay, Trans-Lab into Quebec.
  9. moosehead

moosehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    south of the checkerboard....Bruce Penninsula
    Will wave as we pass in opposite direction - same time - June.
    My oldest son and I are doing our second trip this summer in opposite direction (clockwise) so can meet up with the rest of the family on Corner Brook on right date. My wife flying up to wedding - we're taking the "long way" there.
    Road is under construction and when there last year locals said be luckyto be done in 2009.
    The ferry ride is fun with the right weather and "guests" on board. Don't plan on sleeping if got a good crowd on board!
    Enjoy the trip.
  10. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Will keep an eye out. Travelling 2-up with my wife.
  11. moosehead

Oddometer:
    Gotcha
    I have 91R100GS
    My son will be riding his "newer" GS (R1150) Secretly, he pines for the old airhead he sold last year (88R100GS) in order to purchase the latest and greatest from Germany :cry
    We'll wave as we always do.
    Have a good one.
    Bob

PS Don't forget - bug repellant (Avon Skinsosoft reallly does work) and a bug shirt and bug hat. I just wear my full face up there and only open the visor when either in the tent/motel or bar. The bugs are ferocious - pray for some wind!
  12. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Got it Moose!
    And thanks for the bug-alert.

We're riding a 2004 R1150R.

Cheers,
  13. Tengai650

Tengai650 Random Task

Oddometer:
    The bugs really aren't bad in June. When I was there in '04, I only saw mosquitos in Baie Comeau and then no bugs until I got into NS.

I'm going somewhere in June for up to 24 days. I was originally thinking NS, NB, Gaspe Peninsula, PEI and Iles-de-la-Madeleine, but all this Labrador talk is making me wanna go back there.
  14. DHub

DHub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving for Goose Bay in June also. I will be on the ferry to Cartwright on the 11th of June. I have a 1200 GS and my riding buddy has a yellow V-STROM. Hope to see some of you guys along the way.
  15. moosehead

Oddometer:
    Bugs..we must have just hit it at the wrong time. Yu're right.. other parts of the trip we had none . But when we had them they were incredible!
    1150 R no problem. We passed lots different makes - HD's, one wing, and other street oriented bikes with all kinds of rubber on. The only problem for them was the day of rain/mist and the road gets real slick for a while. Just take your time and its an easy ride.:D
  16. sreynen

sreynen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How are these two roads--plan to do them this summer in July on my R1150GS. Do you need reservations for the ferry from Goose to Cartwright?

Thanks.
  17. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    We are travelling the other way - Cartwright to Goose Bay. Expect to be in Lab mid-June.

For ferry info check

http://www.tw.gov.nl.ca/FerryServices/schedules.stm

I haven't called these people yet. I did call the liner that sails from NS to NFLD, and they said 1-2 days in advance is fine (a little more flexible with a bike, than with a car). I suspect the Cart-Goose line is the same. I'll probably contact them this week for reservation details.
  18. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
  19. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    If it's important to you to sail on a particular day, either buy the tickets well in advance ("well in advance" DOESN'T mean about a week in advance, BTW) or decide to play the odds and just show up day-of. It seems like they always can squeeze a bike on, but there's always that slim chance if you don't have a ticket. We'd planned on buying our tickets from NL>NS about a week ahead of time, in case we wanted to change anything. Called up and they were booked. Ended up taking a 4am boat or something a day later, real pain in the ass, though it was empty and lots of room to sleep. It was a hard decision, you can show up and play the standby game, but then there's no guarantee. Or you buy the tickets for the later boat and you're committed, they won't let you on the earlier one even if there's room. It was really annoying.

For Goose Bay, you may as well book in advance. It only sails twice a week, so you'll make damn sure you're on time one way or the other :D

We were up in late August, same time as Brian and Jeff, and there weren't ANY bugs. As in, fewer than down here in NY. It's all weather, I think. I'm toying of buzzing up to Churchill Falls this summer as a little one week break, we'll see.

-Luke
  20. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Going up for the tour Luke?

I think that is my only regret of the trip. I didn't even really know about it when we were there but when I looked it up later I can't believe I missed it.
    I may have to go back also just for that.

Luke has a great ride report also! I'd recomend reading them all.

Brian