Goose Bay to Cartwright

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LowAdvRider, Jan 23, 2006.

1. LowAdvRider

LowAdvRider Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing it this July with Bubblehead and another friend who's moniker on here I don't remember.

We are doing Radisson, Route Du Nord, Goose Bay, NewFoundland for a few days, Cabots Trail, New Brunswick, Maine and back.

Anyone have good info on the tours in Radisson and Churchill? Please, only if you have done them.

How about any side trips along that path? Especially if you have GPS data, but just routes that are worth the time would be good for all who are doing this trip. :jump
  2. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you guys are gonna be balling to get all that down in a month. Have you looked at the mileages or thought about doing a smaller section? We spent 16 days in Lab/NF (slabbed it to Quebec City on the way out and from the ferry landing in NS all the way home) and we were going all day everyday--with one slight mishap--and skipped a huge chunk of NF. I wish we'd been able to take our time more and actually do some of the sidetrips.

Brian--I want to do the tour that we missed last time, and I want to run up the Sail Dyke road north of Churchill Falls--basically just do the stuff I missed as a result of the old man's grader run-in. I might also buzz up the road from Lab City to Esker just for grins. Depending on how much time I can waste, I'd *love* to have time to set a base in Churchill Falls and explore a bit. If you don't do the whole ferry thing, your only expense is gas. It's 750 high speed miles from me to Baie-Comeau (where it gets interesting). Not sure if I'm hard core enough to do it in a day, but if I have a week off I'd be go for it... of course, what I'd *really* like to do is go to NF and set up a base south of Badger and really explore those logging roads with a GPS and a topo map... do some overland.

-Luke
  3. LowAdvRider

LowAdvRider Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer:
    8500 miles in 23 days. 369 miles/day average. The 1st few and last few will be 600 mile days easy. That alone will give shorter days where needed. Also, there will be a few other 500 mile days in the middle just to get from one point to another.

Did 12,000 miles in 23 days on my Alaska tour from Alabama (lived there back then) in 04. Would love to do it again. Will most likely do this next year.

Long distances are typical for our tours. I'm hoping to get in some dirt fun also. Not too interested in hiking or days without riding. I want to see more stuff. I want to ride.

I read your writeup of most of this trip when it was first put on the forum. That writeup is what is prompting this trip. Thanks for the inspiration.
  4. NBdakar

NBdakar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will doing the Lab trip in sometime in June aswell! I will be doing the loop from central New Brunswick, through NS, NF, Lab, and might try Anticosti Island to Gaspe if it is possible (any info?? ) and the Acadian Peninsula home. Looks like there will be some traffic up there! Can't wait to hit the road...
    There are some great postings here and some very useful information. Thanks!:D
  5. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't miss the tour in Radisson. Went up there last summer, the Radisson tour can be scheduled and arranged in english at the checkpoint entering the James Bay Road. Takes a whole day, super nice guy, really informative + mind blowing. It's amazing what they have built up there. Free. They loaded us in a van and drove us to 3 or 4 different locations.

If you're in town for the night, check out Le Bar Boreal!
  6. Tengai650

Tengai650 Random Task

Oddometer:
    I was looking into Isle d'Anticosti as part of my trip. The island seems to be closed off for the most part and geared for guided deer hunting. Only 300 people live on the island and much of the area is national park land. I think you can get on the island with your bike, but I don't know how mobile you'll be. The place definitely is intriguing though.

My plan this June is to tour the Maritimes, grab the ferry from PEI to the Magdalen Islands and then pop over to Gaspe.

Mark
  7. NBdakar

NBdakar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the Anticost info, it does look cool up there don't it???If you come anywhere near Fredericton NB, pop in for a beer. You might already know this, but most of NB can be accessed by abandoned rail bed (ties removed). There is something like 6000kms of them, and they can take you places where roads can't. They are all snowmobile trails in the winter.
    Cheers
  8. drrickk

drrickk never act your age

Oddometer:
    Be careful, some stretches of these old rail beds are part of the Trans-Canada trail system reserved for hikers and cyclist. Even though many access this trail on motorcycles, the system is policed and fines can be substantial. :huh
  9. Tengai650

Tengai650 Random Task

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, the Newfoundland Trailway is OK with motorized access:

"The Newfoundland T'Railway Council is a non-profit corporation dedicated to the development of a recreational trail from St.John’s to Port aux Basques using the former Canadian National railway line. Its mandate is to promote multi-use trail development and to preserve abandoned railway lines for future use such as hiking, biking, equestrian, snowmobile, ATV and cross-country ski trails..."

Motorcycles may be a grey area, but I know of nobody who got busted on a street registered/plated/insured dualsport bike. I certainly wouldn't try taking a dirtbike on it.

Mark
  10. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    no probs at all with motorcycles on the trailway...we travel it every other week or so. just be carefull of ppl on there with vehicles.
  11. winmac

winmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some of the old railbed in Nova scotia is off limits. There is a 100 km section in Cape Breton from Inverness to the Canso Causeway that is open to bikes.
    There are a few of us doing the labarador run this year, was told that the wind will keep the flys away, but when its calm look out, they are hungry.