GoPro camera mounts

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Max Wedge, Dec 24, 2011.

1. chrome bandit

chrome bandit Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...didn't mean to confuse and make it seem like more than what I did...I just put a shoestring through the two holes in the casing and hung it around my neck like a lanyard. I thought about further anchoring around my chest, wanted to see the results first. This means all the photos were taken upside down, which I just rotated in post-processing.

A few takeaways from this simple approach...
    • Probably would get better results on a bright day with stronger lighting, so the shutter speed would be higher and would get less blur.
    • Notice there is no tag bag on the bike...if it was there, I'd might have tried a higher position of the GoPro around my neck, I'd be aiming for a full view of the cockpit.
    • It didn't cross my mind at the time, could also try standing while shots are firing to see what the perspective is. Also, now that I think more about this, could also swing it around your head to point backwards and capture people behind you. Dang, wish I thought of this during my Alaska trip!
    • Another benefit of the "shoestring mount" - it's easy to adjust the height of the camera while your helmet is on
    • I would not use this "mount" on trails where I expect to have closer encounters with vegetation, wouldn't want it to get hooked on anything.
    dzeck - thanks for the link, that's a new supplier to me, will check 'em out. I'm seeing a bunch of extension mounts like this on TV as well, where the GoPro is used to provide coverage on action angles on various reality shows.
  2. palla62

palla62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :freaky Good idea! Now it is very clear!

I'm thinking instead to buy the specific support

[​IMG]
  3. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I wanted to bump this thread to see if any one else had more ideas related to gopro mounting. I tried putting a mount on the body, but it was annoying and wobbly. So i utilized a techmount that was holding a gps antenna, but was no longer. The way you have complete control of the aiming, you can rotate the whole upper part of the bracket to film the right view too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
  5. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is some video and stills I combined from the GoPro HD. I had it helmet mounted part of the time. Had it around my neck on a lanyard some and was suprised how well it did. I also had it mounted on the top case looking backwards for a time as well. I tried the crash bars on another Colorado trip but the vibrations caused a great deal of the "rolling shutter" effect. Some of the stills in this were shot with a D300S.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1500328679_pxQfDM7?width=425&height=240"></iframe>
  6. palla62

palla62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEjJLEIav6A&feature=youtube_gdata_player"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEjJLEIav6A&feature=youtube_gdata_player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here a video of mine.
    I've bought a chest mount but I'm not satisfied! I think it is not a good choice for who ride an ADV. the landscape view is prevented from windshield and instruments.
    I like the klondike1's front view.
    Also the Snarky's system is great but I' think it preclude the principal (imho) trik for nice shots: the action movies on board have to include a fixed view (helmet, bike side ....) to avoid annoing movies and to give it a proper field depth!
  7. DocRogers

DocRogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought a GoPro and have so far only used it on various dirt bikes. Like the helmet mount but the view is a little high up (especially when standing up on a trials bike!) - chest strap mount seems better all around. Haven't tried mounting to the bike yet but I also got a bagful of various mounts, clips, etc. so something interesting should be possible.
  8. Warthog

Warthog TeutonicChronic Supporter

Oddometer: