GoPro HD Hero Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wesley J, Dec 23, 2009.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    The problem I have with Vimeo is the size limit. Other than that the vids show great.
  2. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Another Video from my ride yesterday. It's doesn't look muddy but it was as if the permafrost was melting. Clay is some kinda slick.

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Filmed in 1080p/60fps/medium.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="700" height="410" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3080602704_bnDVxTG?width=700&height=410&albumId=36088058&albumKey=J8mwvG"></iframe>
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    With a free account, I suppose that is an issue. I thought it was worth $10 a month to avoid the aggravation of YouTube.
  4. a57m2000

a57m2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I went down DIRECTLY (head first on the top of my helmet with the GoPro cam on top while riding Wisconsin Adventure trail last summer. My GoPro mounting bracket shattered, my helmet was intact. My nuts,.... not so much, testicular dislocation. I'm blaming the left mirror not the helmet cam or mount. Just saying.
  6. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    Of course it could have contributed to the helmet being weakened!

I wear mine on top of my helmet, but I have had the lingering doubts in the back of my mind whether I should move it.

Charlie, it depend where the point of impact was relating to the position of the camera, not if your nuts took the impact!!!:lol3

PS, constructive criticism; ditch that crappy music, tell us where you are, even if it means talking to the camera, maybe include some stills into the final cut, 10 seconds is more than enough for any one sequence unless you're going over the edge of a cliff/or sittin' in a café/bar or just talking at the camera tellin' us how beautiful life is!!!:deal:freaky:lol3
  7. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
  8. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    Well didn't this thread come to a grinding halt for no apparent reason...

has Charlie lost his camera!?!?!?!!?:lol3
  9. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    See if your editing program allows for you to raise and lower the volume levels, independently (music - gopro audio). Try and find that nice balance of music and engine noise. I was trying to hear the song in the above vid, but the engine and wind was cancelling it out.

Which is just my opinion, everyone likes different things when watching video. Some people can't stand music, I personally like it.

Wind noise drives me bonkers, it's my enemy and its currently kicking my butt. I've gone as far as to add an external mic and that didn't make much of a difference, actually made the wind louder. Any riding I do over 35 + mph, the sound is shit.. I tried to even wrap extra foam around the ext. mic...still crap.

My next step will be having the gopro attached to helmet - external mic wired inside of helmet to hopefully allow for wind buffeting. Then maybe I can have a vid with zero music

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/85700910?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

or maybe not :lol3
  10. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. That's precisely why I use the music. The wind noise was horrid. Cyberlink Power Director does allow independent use of both. However, the wind noise sort of over powers the video hence the music.

Here is a video from this weekends ride. Once again, the wind noise was bad. Plus I was babbling in my helmet communicator with the guy I was riding with.

:D Play it in HD.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="700" height="410" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3089729305_BRDtfSD?width=700&height=410&albumId=36088058&albumKey=J8mwvG"></iframe>
  11. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    Big difference from this one to the last. Adding in the text really tells the story more. Looks like you have some fun roads.

Just curious, you are shooting that in 1080p @ 60fps? Not sure why you are losing clarity - Towards the edges

I guess its the compression settings?
  12. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Thanks Casey. Yes, I'm shooting at 1080p/60fps. I set the bit rate to 50 when I produced the video in Power Director. I am pretty sure I read that one should choose the highest bit rate possible?

SmugMug compresses the video far less than You Tube or Vimeo. Since I already have that account I choose to use it. Now I need to figure out how to have an image at the embed window instead of the black screen. I think I am getting the hang of it now. More work ahead though. Again thanks for the input.
  13. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just built a cable cam for some shots I'm planning this summer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/msNWNuHZWMY?list=UUcKDzRdY24OPc6VKEMlBMWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty easy and cheap. Instructions on my blog if you're interested:

http://www.roberttadlock.com/blog/2014/3/1/gopro-cable-cam.html
  14. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Very cool shots! Thanks for the link.
  15. oldbutspry

oldbutspry Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Oddometer:
    So my wife keeps telling me I should get one of these. I started to just go buy the black edition (thinking more expensive=nicer) but some of the reviews said the lens is blurry and won't focus to infinity. It said the other versions are better for most uses. Is this true? Which one should I really get? I'm wanting it for making videos of street riding, bicycling and snow skiing.

I figured I would use it mostly with the chest harness or mounted on my helmet.
  16. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    You might want to consider what the camera is used for. Action shots is it's forte. When you edit your footage in GoPro Studio you can go into advanced settings and adjust the production to get rid of fish eye. I am not certain what you are referring to when you say "focus to infinity"? I'm guess you mean that you want the camera lens set at infinity focus so that theoretical object would be in focus?

You have narrow, medium and wide settings on the GoPro 3 and 3+ not sure about earlier models though (somebody else may want to jump in).

The camera is good at what it does. The downside is hosting the finished videos. YouTube compresses the video so much that it looks bad when it is uploaded. Vimeo is better but to get the video to look good you need to have a premium account (or so I am told). I use SmugMug which has about the same compression as free Vimeo.

I hope some of this makes sense?
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You might also want to investigate the Drift Ghost S and Garmin VIRB. GoPro's not the only game in town.
  18. oldbutspry

oldbutspry Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Oddometer:
    They look pretty nice but it doesn't look like they would work well with a chest harness.
  19. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    The one area that the GoPro excels due to design. But the Virb and the Ghost-S excel in every other area. Take it from somebody that's had all 3. Just have to weigh all the features and decide what's most important. However, all 3 brands do a good job overall.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There's a shoulder harness for the Virb. I have a couple but haven't had warm weather to try them yet.