GoPro HD Hero Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wesley J, Dec 23, 2009.

1. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    I've never taken out the battery. ride. record. upload. sits. check it before next ride. good to go.
  2. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    The only inherent danger would be to over discharge the battery to a point where it doesn't take a charge. In the camera or not, that would take a REALLY long time to do considering most electronics won't use power at all once the battery gets to a certain point. I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, gopro batteries aren't that expensive.
  3. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Canon Power Shot SX50 HS ...I don't remember it mentioning a reason it just said 'take out battery when not in use' or something along those lines.

Sounds like the gopro is good to go though! Thanks for all the feedback, now I feel fine leaving it in between shooting :freaky

I am also going to mount my side mount on my helmet later...

Any tips on mounting to helmets that have no been mentioned on here or youtube already? I am pretty sure I have the gist of it but the side mount looks like there more to positioning than a top of helmet mount etc
  4. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Make sure you check to see if the camera can be level once it's mounted. I.e. if you mount it low on the helmet, it may not be able to articulate in enough to get a level picture. Typically the gopro will weight the helmet to one side, so it's better to leave extra room to adjust. Mine is mounted about 2 inches forward from the center, so that I can get a little bit of the helmet in the frame but without disrupting the frame too much.

Sent from an iPad aspiring to be a latop.
  5. ride2live

ride2live Just ride

Oddometer:
    I got this huge REI rebate burning a hole in my pocket. I have a GoPro 2 that I like. Is the 3+ that much better?

Another question for you guys that are producing some amazing videos the past few weeks: best (Mac) software for edits? The free stuff doesn't cut it for me.

Thanks in advance.
  6. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    i can't answer the differences between the 2 & 3. I personally would be fine with either, as long as I had the wifi app.

Editing: Imovie comes with all new macs. Real easy to use. From there you can move to FCPX, basically feels like the same program but with a ton more bells and whistles.

[​IMG]
    iMovie
    Top left would be all the media you want to use
    just select it, drag and drop it below onto the timeline.

And thats about all it takes to start editing in the program. Real user friendly
  7. RAZR

Oddometer:
    that's what I just used my REI dividend for. it's been shipped so I'll have it this week.

I have the Hero 2 and look forward to all the upgrades with the 3+ Black. :clap
  8. 1150Pappy

1150Pappy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same question......I have a Hero2 already and there is nothing wrong with it. Is the 3 that much better?
  9. Dualthing

Dualthing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can any of you goproers advise me if I can get software so I can view the screen of multiple gopros at once? Basically using them like a closed circuit system ?

Can I also put my gopro stream online to use it like a security camera ?
  11. vermontKTMguy

vermontKTMguy n00b

Oddometer:
    New to the thread .. Just Bought a new Go Pro Hero3 to and to my helmet.. Waiting for snow to disappear then time to break out the 2013 KTM 500 exc and start recording .. Was wondering if there was anything I should know about with the camera.. all charged.. and mounted on helmet. plan on maybe a handle bar mount in near future.. installed the best sim card I could find for the camera.. any advise would be appreciated .. :ear :wink:
  12. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:

Hey RAZR,

Here are a few words of caution with the GoPro 3+. The first batches of those cameras are said to have a focus range problem. It is said that they are sharp for selfies but with soft focus for middle and infinite ranges.

There is a very long thread about this on a GoPro user forum and it includes many many samples of cameras showing the soft focus range problem for mid to long distance. Take a look, there are tons and tons of samples of images with problems and cameras where the problem has been resolved. There is even a long set of posts within that thread, I would say pages 50-60 of the thread, where people found a way to change the focal distance manually, by turning the lens. Yes, it can be done.

The gist of the story states that early cameras have had this problem and newer cameras have been fixed. There are people on that thread stating GoPro has exchanged cameras if you send them a picture of a landscape on good sunlight and it shows soft images on mid to long distance subjects.

You can check the manufacturing date of the camera by looking at the box. It should have these numbers on the white manufacturing label you can see on the box, following a letter "B" for the Black series of cameras. They would have something like this: B0813... That would be a camera manufactured in August 2013. This is likely to be a camera with the problem. Look for a B0114, which are said to have the focus problems fixed. I've seen samples of photos on that thread taken from cameras from Aug, Sept, Oct and Nov with problems.

This would explain some comparisons people have made in the past, when these cameras were first released, and which showed the GoPro 3+ as not being better than other cameras out in the market at that time. Some did not have the problems, some did.

Finally, the manufacturer of the chips for GoPro cameras, Ambarella, already has a new series of chips out with specs showing improvements (not related to lens problem). Greatest improvement is filming 1098 at 60fps. But it also takes 4K filming to another level, greatest quality so far. But which makes managing huge files a problem as storage cards are limited in size, computer power is demanded, camera batteries run out faster. A GoPro 4 is being speculated, but only time will tell when these cameras will be made,whether they will be called GoPro 4, and if they make it, when they will be out.
  13. RAZR

Oddometer:
    thanks Lion BR.

looks like UPS will be delivering it today. I'll be playing with it next to my Hero2 tonight and tomorrow and editing video and doing a thorough comparison. it won't be an indepth nerdy comparisons like ones I've watched on YouTube so don't ask for me to publish some indepth analysis. it will probably be helmet mount both cameras, ride around, set up in the park to test texture refinement and daytime nighttime lowlight stuff as well.
    and I'll check that manufacturing date first thing.

thanks again.
  14. 1150Pappy

1150Pappy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I pulled the trigger on a 3+Silver.
    I signed up for a hundred dollars off offer at Daytona Speedway. All I had to do was enter my information at one of their Kiosks at their display at the Speedway.....which I did. And never got the offer from GoPro.......
    So...wrote them and after going back and forth several times they finally gave me a limited time code for that offer.
    So, I got the camera for a pretty great price!! My girlfriend now gets the Hero 2 to have some fun with. Bonus points for that I hope!
  15. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Another few weeks and I too will get the GoPro 3+ black.
  16. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    That's a good way to get one.
  17. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I have a 3 as well as a few 1s. The 3 is light years ahead of the 1. I've worked with the 2 and for fun videos I don't think II would upgrade. In fact the 2 has the advantage of being able to plug a microphone directly without the silly USB to micro adaptor.

18. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    I have a 3 as well a few 1s. I have used a 2 on a few occasions. For fun videos I wouldn't waste money upgrading. The 2 also has the advantage of having a normal microphone plug and not the silly USB connector which is a pain.

QUOTE=1150Pappy;23825845]Same question......I have a Hero2 already and there is nothing wrong with it. Is the 3 that much better?[/QUOTE]
  19. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I hate this ipad!!
  20. bhb

bhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super noob question about using a gopro to capture still pictures of a ride - does it have to be in a specific mode to do this or can you be recording video and then pull still images off of the recorded video once on your computer?

I'm getting tired of stopping every few miles to take cool riding shots and thinking a gopro may be a good addition.