GoPro HD Hero Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wesley J, Dec 23, 2009.

1. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    where were you yesterday :lol3

Any new videos to share?

I normally weigh out new products (reviews, etc) before purchasing, but i'm short on time. Going to Canada :clap
  2. klinquist

klinquist ├╝bergeek

Oddometer:
    It has been my experience that the Wasabi 1280mAh batteries don't last as long as the GoPro 1180mAh batteries.
  3. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:

I have the Wasabi charger. It charges both batteries in about 45 minutes.
  4. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Not me, they last equally as long. However, if it is really cold out they discharge quicker than gopro batteries (at least for me).
  5. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    So, how does everyone solve the short battery life of the GoPro remote? I am considering purchasing another charger cord and plugging it into my charging port via a usb cigarette lighter fitting.
  6. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    I hope GoPro addresses the remote battery situation sometime soon.
    I love the remote but by close to end of the day, it's done.

I think for now, I'll use it off and on and turn it off in between technical riding (like when you're cruising between trails on the forest road or pavement) then when you get to the trailhead, power it on and use it when your hands are busier. :dunno
  7. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I've tried to hard wire the remote to deal with the short battery life, but even hard wired it is still dying. I think my contacts keep getting dirty preventing it from charging correctly.
  8. Silverfin

Silverfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far this is the best GoPro vid I have ever seen that involves motorcycling. Can someone analyze this and tell me how Alex made it and what is needed to do the same (some sort of an adjustable stick). Specifically...what do I need to buy to make these kind of rotating selfies and what settings would work best on the GoPro.

If you think you have seen or made something of this caliber please post the link...ok...didn't think so. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlXttQL_Yk
  9. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:

It looks like he just mounted it on to a monopod available at any camera store or Amazon. There is also a trip-pod mount needed for the gopro available at Amazon or the gopro site.

You can see a person in the background in a few shots that also has one.
  10. BobPS

BobPS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ This. He used a monopod, or perhaps what kids down here call a TongSi, Tongkat Selfie or Selfie Stick... a stick used to mount pocket camera or phone to take selfies, and then just slowly turn around/rotate on his feet.
  11. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    GoPro on a stick? :scratch

[​IMG]
  12. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here tried adapting a powered gyro to a helmet? Something like this is made for quadcopters but could easily be adapted for a helmet mount.

http://www.helipal.com/tarot-t-2d-brushless-gimbal-for-gopro-hero-3.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gY2811NVoNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry if this has been discussed here already....search engine sucks.

13. atarijedi

atarijedi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was awesome. I'd like to see what it looks like from a chin mount position too, so it is a more natural, you see what I see, sort of viewpoint. Might be distracting though.

Seems there are a bunch of these videos on youtube if you search for "GoPro gimbal motorcycle". Here is a video which shows you how to make one. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjK-asaqDMU

That said, its a gimbal, not a gyro. A gyro, in the filmmaking world, is a 1/2/3 axis device that you attach a camera to, and it has high speed spinning masses in it, to dampen vibrations. Kenyon Labs is a popular gyro maker.
  14. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I don't like it. I feel like a helmet mount should show the riders perspective. This looks more like the perspective of a floating camera next to the riders head. It's weird. A mount like that would make more sense mounted high and on the rear of the bike where it could capture the rider and the bike IMO.
  15. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    that would never work with my type of riding.
  16. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody using the new lipo 1280mah Wasabi batteries in the 3/3+?

My local motorcycle shop is trying to get rid of their gopro inventory and had the 3+ black for $300. Couldn't pass it up even though my HD1 still works fine :D
  17. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    my buddy just sold me a brand new Hero3+ silver for $75 with a bunch of mounts. stoked to make some boring videos :lol3
  18. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok, first test vid. Question: is the weird ripple in time effect on the straights just from road vibrations? sorry for the annoying rattle, camera was touching the fairing.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DXrNZ-2XVW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Likely from engine vibes. Common issue.

20. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks